Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

What’s the cost of the outdoor version? I know you don’t know the exact price yet but can you give us an estimation? A guess? Anything.

None of us will know until they release the product.

1 Like

Battery powered, I was hoping to be able to power this through an outlet vs having to climb a ladder to change the batteries every few months. Will they be rechargeable or typical store bought AA AAA? Im guessing in my case it would involve removing the whole camera to swap batteries each time. Cant wait to see pics and detailed specs

I am for just having an AC powered only outdoor camera but it appears Wyze might have received enough support to add a battery powered option. I looked at Arlo and Ring when they first started offering battery powered options. The thing that kept me from buying was the fact that when only battery power is utilized certain features are either disabled or not possible due to the need of conserving battery life compared to the AC powered models. I want ALL the possible features enabled so I do not mind the extra one time effort to run power to the cameras location. AIso I do not want to hassle with monitoring the battery power and having to get a ladder to change and replace/charge the batteries even if it’s just twice or once a year. However, I completely get that running power to the camera’s location is just not possible for everyone’s situation so some people would not mind the added on going effort of using batteries.

5 Likes

Batteries make installation easy - but - I spend three months of winter down south and there isn’t anyone home to change or charge the batteries. Perhaps we could have wired with the option of batteries?

1 Like

If people want an outdoor POE (non-battery) camera that isn’t limited to wifi distances and obsticles (brick walls, tin buildings, etc.):

I know I was pre-approved to create a roadmap for an outdoor camera that isn’t battery and isn’t limited by wifi issues, but it looks like there is already a good one. I think the heading needs to be changed a little so people understand it at a glance.

3 Likes

Another factor to consider with an outdoor camera using a PIR sensor, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is the need of giving careful attention to the specs of the PIR sensor itself. Some outdoor cameras that already have PIR sensors use rather mediocre sensors i.e. very limited range and a limited angle of detection. I want to be able to put my camera on the corner of my house and know that motion can be detected within at least a 270 degree or more angle of detection and maybe 50-100 feet away for the PIR sensor itself. Perhaps this is a bit of a reach but the PIR sensor’s detection capabilities will be an important decision factor for me.

1 Like

Power outages whether unintentional or intentional are unpreventable. Battery power is irrelevant when the power is out because your modem and router are also not functioning unless you have a significant battery backup for those items. Can it be done, sure. However, it is more likely that if the power is cut from your home an item required to complete the chain will be affected rendering the ability to acquire and store the video ineffective. Your best bet is catching the culprit as they approach the home so that the video can be aquired and uploaded prior to the loss of power and the theft or destruction of the camera.

1 Like

Battery operated camera will Send Your motion clips From when the power was out ,once the power to your Wi-Fi is restored

1 Like

I understand that but am more concerned with safeguarding the videos that can be compromised by theft and damage. I rarely care about that dog or bird that triggered a recording but would like to see who broke into my house and stole my property including my cameras. Lack of electricity doesn’t help that scenario. Even if you’re using the cameras for live monitoring situations it’s rare to want to look back at instances that occurred before the power was restored. Pet, child or elderly monitoring for example is typically a live query although I admit to “going to the tape” to solve a disagreement. Batteries can be helpful but not a perfect solution unless it is a closed system. I just hope the outdoor camera gives us both options; allowing us to use battery power as a backup.

2 Likes

In case you missed it, Wyze did a video Q&A session a while ago. The subject of this Roadmap topic was addressed in the video. Here’s a link to the video and an index of the content so you can jump directly to the part that addresses this Roadmap topic.

0:40 Outdoor Cam (Dongsheng)
2:15 Wyze Sense (Mike)
2:52 Beyond Security Products (Mike)
3:30 Become International Company (Yun)
4:25 Simultaneous Streaming (Tao)
5:05 Improvements to Playback (Bugs, Fast Forward) (Tao)
5:50 RTSP (Frederick)
7:10 Google Assistant (Frederick)
7:40 Apple Homekit (Frederick)
8:35 Google Integration Demo (Frederick)

2 Likes

I am debating a set-up like this at my house in Wisconsin. How has yours been handling it?

1 Like

It’s going great. Still running even after that crap weather we got Sunday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much appreciated. I’ll be setting mine up soon!

1 Like

Please only rechargeable battery if you go that route.

2 Likes

Ye$!!! I’ve been wanting this ever since I bought my 5 cameras for my home and office! Can’t wait! Congratulations also on the $20MM!!!

1 Like

I know the current cameras aren’t designed to be used outdoors, but isn’t that “in the weather”? I’d like to put one on my porch, under roof (out of the weather). Won’t that be OK? I’d also like to put one in the back of my house, under an eave. Won’t that be OK?

1 Like

You should be OK…here in central Illinois it got down to -20 a few weeks back; have one on a covered porch. Can’t say about under an the eve though.

1 Like

It’s unlikely that Wyze is going to tell you that it’s Ok. They are indoor cameras.
I have one outside under a soffit where it’s unlikely to get wet. I’m on the East Coast of Canada. It does get cold here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got my first WYZE CAM. I hear you are developing an outdoor version. While you may be far along in its development, I like to express two things I would like for the outdoor version.

1. I would like it to be powered by or have the option to be powered by an external source. I don’t want to use batteries.

2. Please keep the ability to select a motion zone for triggering events. This may be a challenge if you are only using a PIR at night. Thank you.

2 Likes