Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Have the inside model on my covered front porch. Works just fine, even survived the polar vortex ( it hit -20 ) . No issues, but I wonder about how the inside will hold up. I’m looking forward to the outdoor Wyze.

1 Like

I have solved the constant push notifications by using the PIR on my Blink camera. I left the push notifications off on the Wyze cam in the same location and although it does get triggered frequently by bugs and other items I don’t check the footage unless my Blink camera sends me a notification. Which brings me to how it would be very important to keep the Wyze cam recording 24/7 with IR light on but use PIR for notifications. Battery operated cameras are going to be very tough to implement due to the power consumption. Blink’s proprietary chip is very power efficient but I barely get a year out of the batteries with the cold NE weather and frequent number of triggers. This is why I have all but the most difficult locations hard wired for power. The cameras always lose battery power at the most inopportune time and I got tired of replacing them. Please make hard wiring for power an option with you outdoor cams. Your daisy chain solution for wiring is excellent and currently wiring my Blink camera in the previous scenario that I described.

2 Likes

Please don’t build a security camera that has to wake up! I have a Ring Video Doorbell that does this. It is one reason that makes Wyze Cams so much better!!! Too much is lost in those precious few moments.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t like battery operated cam because of the labor to recharge every once in a while.
I would be nice to have an easy option to have all need equipment provided to hardwired the power from a centralize equipment place in the attic to the external cam.
Or some kind of continuous wireless changing powered by a centralize equipment in the attic to the external cam

1 Like

Greetings from Arizona!

My wife and I, our three dogs, and five Wyze Pan Cams live in the Phoenix, AZ Metro area. Outdoor temperatures can easily reach 115 degrees F or more in the summer. Dry heat? Yes! Hot heat? Definitely!

I love our WYZE Pan Cams. They work indoors flawlessly. But, here in AZ, most homes have the AC circuit breaker panel mounted OUTSIDE, on an exterior wall! Most are unlocked, and visible from the street. So, if I was a thief or burglar, or god forbid a serial killer, I would first go to the breaker box and shut off all the power. That would about 3 seconds out of my busy day - or night. Then, with all the cameras, the WiFi network, security system, land lines, sprinkler system, etc., completely disabled, I would do my “THING”.

My point is this: either our WYZE, RING, and other cameras, our motion activated floodlights (preferably LED), our modem, our routers, our cat-5 and cat-6 high speed switches, and all our WiFi hardware would HAVE to be plugged into one or more UPS boxes, or they would have to have internal or external batteries or solar panels. Otherwise, all our image capturing hardware would be rendered totally useless at the literal “flip of an outdoor accessible switch”! Who has an outdoor security camera focused on their outdoor breaker panel ???

The Phoenix Metro area has literally millions of homes, businesses, and apartment buildings that have their AC power panels on an outdoor wall- just sitting there, and available to anyone passing by! This vulnerability is probably built into many homes in many other towns and cities. So, there is most definitely a huge market for computer, network, communications, and security hardware that need to have an internal or external UPS capability.

Thus, I strongly recommend that WYZE product developers investigate this important aspect that has seemingly gone ignored by most manufacturers of dumb and/or smart home this or that hardware.

Yes, you’re absolutely right that there are tons of UPS and other backup power products already “out there”. And maybe those devices are perfectly adequate to cover the problem I’ve already overstated above. But, most of today’s batteries abhor heat, cold, and/or humidity. So, putting a UPS in one’s attic and running several extension cords between it and each outdoor mounted camera - especially here in Phoenix - would subject it to temperatures in excess of 140 degrees F in the summer. The battery in that poor UPS would drop dead in one, maybe two summer seasons here! Heck, our car battery only last three or four years here. Really!

And, when’s the last time you priced an outdoor rated extension cord? They’re not cheap. And, five or six cameras would need at least five or six extension cords of various lengths. I just bought enough extension cords to bring power outdoors to only two of my security cameras. I paid almost $175 for these cords. And I still have four more outdoor cameras to go!! Would-a, could-a, should-a bought those “expensive” battery-operated, rechargeable ARLO cameras. Not so expensive when compared to a $75 outdoor camera that needs a 75 foot run of outdoor rated extension cords, plus the labor, etc, to keep it put.

Check it out - O WYZE ONES…

E’nuff said!

Thanks all.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your use case. Although we did not know your use case during the development process, we have designed the product to be “battery powered” with “local storage” capability. I think it will in some way mitigate the issue/concern you described.

3 Likes

If it is not patented, a floodlight form factor would be greatly useful and would mitigate a need to run dedicated power to to the camera or find a suitable mounting location. In addition, as most floodlight fixtures have a pair of bulbs, you could offer the camera with integrated LEDs as well as a companion LED bulb, both with photo cells to turn on/off both at dusk/dawn.

1 Like

Making a solar panel and gutter mounts for the cam and panel would be welcome

I live in northern Colorado. I have a version 2 cam and a pan cam mounted under the eaves of my home; no added enclosure. Snow and rain have not been a problem. Recently, experienced outdoor temperatures -13 deg. F. Both cameras worked just fine. I did add an IR flood light to illuminate my driveway. I would like to turn off internal IR LEDs but keep night vision on. This would greatly reduce false motion triggers due to flying insects and help with reflected gare if I were to add an enclosure to one or both cams.

For those that want to know ,When is the outdoor camera coming

8 Likes

whoo hoo…RTSP!

What’s the cost of the outdoor version? I know you don’t know the exact price yet but can you give us an estimation? A guess? Anything.

None of us will know until they release the product.

1 Like

Battery powered, I was hoping to be able to power this through an outlet vs having to climb a ladder to change the batteries every few months. Will they be rechargeable or typical store bought AA AAA? Im guessing in my case it would involve removing the whole camera to swap batteries each time. Cant wait to see pics and detailed specs

I am for just having an AC powered only outdoor camera but it appears Wyze might have received enough support to add a battery powered option. I looked at Arlo and Ring when they first started offering battery powered options. The thing that kept me from buying was the fact that when only battery power is utilized certain features are either disabled or not possible due to the need of conserving battery life compared to the AC powered models. I want ALL the possible features enabled so I do not mind the extra one time effort to run power to the cameras location. AIso I do not want to hassle with monitoring the battery power and having to get a ladder to change and replace/charge the batteries even if it’s just twice or once a year. However, I completely get that running power to the camera’s location is just not possible for everyone’s situation so some people would not mind the added on going effort of using batteries.

5 Likes

Batteries make installation easy - but - I spend three months of winter down south and there isn’t anyone home to change or charge the batteries. Perhaps we could have wired with the option of batteries?

1 Like

If people want an outdoor POE (non-battery) camera that isn’t limited to wifi distances and obsticles (brick walls, tin buildings, etc.):

I know I was pre-approved to create a roadmap for an outdoor camera that isn’t battery and isn’t limited by wifi issues, but it looks like there is already a good one. I think the heading needs to be changed a little so people understand it at a glance.

3 Likes

Another factor to consider with an outdoor camera using a PIR sensor, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is the need of giving careful attention to the specs of the PIR sensor itself. Some outdoor cameras that already have PIR sensors use rather mediocre sensors i.e. very limited range and a limited angle of detection. I want to be able to put my camera on the corner of my house and know that motion can be detected within at least a 270 degree or more angle of detection and maybe 50-100 feet away for the PIR sensor itself. Perhaps this is a bit of a reach but the PIR sensor’s detection capabilities will be an important decision factor for me.

1 Like

Power outages whether unintentional or intentional are unpreventable. Battery power is irrelevant when the power is out because your modem and router are also not functioning unless you have a significant battery backup for those items. Can it be done, sure. However, it is more likely that if the power is cut from your home an item required to complete the chain will be affected rendering the ability to acquire and store the video ineffective. Your best bet is catching the culprit as they approach the home so that the video can be aquired and uploaded prior to the loss of power and the theft or destruction of the camera.

1 Like

Battery operated camera will Send Your motion clips From when the power was out ,once the power to your Wi-Fi is restored

1 Like