Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

I LOVE MY WYZE CAMS (especially v2)!!!

My thoughts on Wyze Cameras for Outdoor Use…

Wyze Cam has always worked hard to provide their customers with differentiated products at a low cost. I have several Wyze Cams (v2 and Pan) in operation outdoors in harsh environments already, and I am very pleased with the results. To make them outdoor ‘compatible’, I had to make the following upgrades: 1) purchased exterior protective cases, 2) changed everything to dark colors so they were more camouflaged from the casual observer, 3) located them near electrical outlets, and 4) ensure they were in range for Wifi. For me, these were the “essential” capabilities that were needed.

What are some of the “enhancements” that would make them even better?

First, the motion sensors are constantly sending ‘false’ events due to movement from dust, bugs, trees, etc. So much so, that I had to turn off notifications on my phone or I would have been up all night. So, making them more robust for outdoor type movements would be awesome.

Second, location/placement of the Wyze Cams is severely hindered due to the need for electrical outlets (and to a lesser degree wifi signal). This is where having specifications that are battery and/or solar friendly would be great. A camera with a battery that enabled the current features (events, continuous recording, etc) would be the best but I suspect this would require frequently changing out the batteries, or moving to continuous solar charging. I do not like the idea of moving to “event only” recording to lower power consumption since I can already get this at a low cost with trail cameras! (Link to my solar experiments: Battery Operated Wyze Cam - #13 by tim-weidenhaft).

Anyway, I’m rambling on so enough for now.

A loyal customer!

4 Likes