Outdoor Light Fixture Camera (Spotlight / Floodlight)

My idea for an outdoor camera is to combine a motion sense outdoor light with a Wyze camera. This way, I can install these where ever my lights currently are and I can derive power from the light itself.

Ring has one: https://www.hsn.com/products/ring-hd-motion-activated-floodlight-wi-fi-security-came/8502015?sz=6&sf=EC0535&ac=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%20engine&utm_term=&utm_campaign=GShopping|H|Proven+Winners&utm_content=53850776537_pla-339699070075_8502016&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0IiS5taa5gIVieDICh3yQAQYEAQYAiABEgLjhfD_BwE

I suggested just that (a Toucan equivalent) when I started this thread. Current battery technology places too many constraints on design. In its simplest form, my suggested product could just be a weather resistant electrical box expansion bracket with an embedded USB power supply and an enclosure to house a cam (or just the cam’s circuitry) so no new cam hardware would be required. This would eliminate the battery, simplifying the design and the enclosure would provide more security for the camera. The light fixture would (re-)attach to the electrical box extension. It could include a motion sensor as well if this is required. Without the battery limitation, solving the other outdoor problems becomes easier. This would work for most porch lights and flood lights. In its simplest form, the light would be controlled by its own sensors. A great improvement over “cam in the front window” installations. I’ve been looking for such a product since before the “Kuna” family of cams (including the Toucan) arrived. But besides the higher initial cost, you still have to “rent” them (pay steep monthly fees) to get full functionality.

2 Likes

I just messaged Wyze on FB and they have no plans to create one. That being said, I am planning on buying these lights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETUHXR4/?coliid=I6TIGASRWFR3I&colid=141I9TJ55AVTT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Adding a waterproof gang box next to the lighting wall mount gang box. Installing a USB outlet receptacle inside. Getting some short USB Micro cables and water-resistant housing.

I’ll just rig them all together. Thoughts on a better way to do this?

I thought about that too. Ideally a product that blends those to together would be the perfect solution in my mind.

I wondered how well the small camera performs outdoors in cold New England winters.

This looks like an ordinary solar security light but has a built-in camera (hidden) and the top has a built-in solar panel. It just needs the ‘Wyze’ cam version as these units have issues with their setup/software, etc. This also solves the issues of waterproofing, solar backup, and cam discoverability as it looks like just an ordinary solar light.

I will be one for every exterior wall once becomes available!

Picture:

https://www.amazon.com/ENSTER-Wireless-Floodlight-Detection-Waterproof/dp/B07R6BXFJ9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I currently use Maximus Kuna porch lights. The reason I use these is because I like the built in camera in the lights, which is very subtle and people don’t notice it. I hate having cameras right on people’s face as they walk into my porch or driveway. They also have pretty good AI to start capturing any motion in the range selected.
Where they suck big time is their camera range of coverage and awful picture quality.

It would be great if Wyze could develop this technology, since you guys already do bulbs and camera. Building a porch light with camera should be pretty simple. Having a stand-alone exterior camera is always a pain because you have to run a dedicated power source. Camera built on porch light solves that problem, and its much cleaner. I would like my home to be secure like Fort Knox, but look white house from outside as if there is no security at all.

Best of all WYZE already has awesome camera and smart bulb, all you need to build is a sleek casing as a porch light with camera.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. In the design they could also offer a wider 140-160 degree lens (which would work great with their ‘motion-tagging’ feature to sweep a larger area) or could offer a ‘positional’ base add-on option.

The kit on amazon comes with a camera, bridge, motion sensor, and 2 entry sensors. If you add the 3rd party vendor outdoor waterproof mount to a flood light with 2 wyze bulbs, you have a great setup for $84 as opposed to $200+. You already have all the technology and equipment minus the mount and flood light base. If nothing else please make the bracket to attach to flood light with motion sensor spot on bottom.

I think that a outdoor floodlight/camera would be great!

1 Like

I was hoping for this solution too. I wouldn’t think there would be much engineering involved other than take the exiting camera and allow it to be directly wired to the houses power so that the 5 volt adapter and USB cable is not needed. Or have someone create motion activated spot light that will allow us to add a camera in it.

Please consider have a spotlight when you create an outside camera so it can take / record a clear image.

When motion light turns on notify on wyze app

Dear Wyze,
I am adding to the wish list for you guys to make an outdoor Porch Light or Flood Light that has motion sensors to trigger the lights and/or activate camera recordings. I think this would be a great product added to your line of products. I think a few of us users would be interested in this type of product from Wyze. It would be also nice to manage such a product from your mobile device like the other wyze products. I hope something like this is on your pipeline of new products.
Thanks,
G

3 Likes

I’ve seen other floodlight camera’s on the market and have not been pleased at their price points or build quality. I’m hoping Wyze will consider making one and really upset the industry. And make it with color night vision and using soft white light, I can’t stand this cool white lights.

2 Likes

Now that you have mastered the outdoor camera. How about motion floodlights for lighting up a driveway or walkway that also has a camera attached? This device would would obviously need to be wired to the house in some way. However would be an excellent product to add to your collection. That would help you with other competing brands.

Similar to attached picture:

4 Likes

I’d be very happy if it was just a floodlight (with no camera) that is programmable like the Bulb … doesn’t necessarily need motion sensor. Maybe have 2 versions.

I currently have multiple sets of motion-activated floodlights and other outdoor lights. !t would be great to have lights such as the attached image with integrated Wyze Cam. This would eliminate the power issues most of us face with outdoor lighting. Normal motion-activated outdoor lights (sconce style) would also be very useful. IMG_0223|478x361

Wyze please make an outdoor motion security light with a camera either hardwired or solar-powered. They already sell them on Amazon but I want you guys to make one so I don’t have to have a different app for my front door motion light.

I would like a version of the outdoor cam (working very well btw), with optional spotlight and siren. It would be great to add it as a security and safety feature (lighting up the area when motion detected - configurable in the App). Siren could be used when I see a stranger. Price it so you have three versions, more features as you go up in price.

I was thinking about this one… but there is a cable hanging so it would be best if Wyze can make a build in one for exterior use!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F9C1MZ1

1 Like