Outdoor Cam — Distance from Base Station?

How far away can the base station be from the outdoor cam(s)?

2 Likes

I thought I saw up to 300 feet with a clear line of sight. However, it really depends on how many walls the signals have to pass through and their construction. Personally, I got out to about 100 feet with no issues. (Any farther would have put me in the neighbors yard.)
I have a standard stick walls.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hey! That’s what I said. :laughing:

1 Like

But it wasn’t “official”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You’ve made me hopeful about my incoming outdoor cam. I had never thought of being able to out the cam on my barn which is ~150’ away. But now I am certainly going to experiment with it. I have lots of CAT5 cable to move the base unit around if need be.

Should be fun!

1 Like

You know, half the fun of Wyze products is playing around and seeing how far we can push the specs. :grin:

Is the base station more of an optional connection method? Can the cam connect to my wifi with or without it?

The base station is not optional. The camera cannot connect directly to your home wifi network. In order to maximize battery life, Wyze offloaded much of the wifi protocol to the base. It only communicates to the base with the PIR detects motion and when you open the live stream to the camera.

After the base is added to the app, then you can add a camera. At THAT point you can put the camera in Travel Mode. That’s when the base is not used. But, I have not played with that feature at all, so I don’t want to give you inaccurate information.

If you watch the promo video, it explains it better than I ever could.

1 Like

Ahh, ok, thanks for that. So the base station provides wifi to the camera, but the base station itself can only connect to my network with an ethernet cable and not over wifi. That might be a deal breaker for me, unless I get a wifi extender that can also output via ethernet.

Funny you should mention a network extender with ethernet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5RCZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of these for some planned traveling (but it arrived after I left), so I used it to connect my base to my network. As long as I had a good signal to the TP-Link, it worked fine.

Oh wow! I like that. Looks like that would be perfect, thanks!

I have the N300 version of that travel router, that I bought before the ACx ones became more affordable. It’s extremely versatile, and I assume could easily be used for connecting a base station.

1 Like

I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work. It has an RJ45 Ethernet port that the specs say can be used to connect to an external device like a TV or Blu-Ray player,

Another option with the base is to use a longer Cat 5 Ethernet cable to extend the distance of the base from your router, which then extends the range of the cam correspondingly. I believe up to about 300’ was reported by one user just for cable.

1 Like

Exactly correct. The stated maximum length you can run Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a cable is 100 meters or 328 feet.

/Edit

Not that it will ever apply to Wyze cams, but since a lot of people here have really interesting smart home ideas that go way beyond just Wyze cams:

The maximum (recommended) length for CAT6 when communicating at up to 1000 megabits (1 gigabit) is 100 meters, or 328 feet. BUT, the maximum length for CAT6 when communicating at 10 gigabit is 55 meters, or 180 feet.

The significance of CAT6A is in the speed, which allows a longer max length. The maximum length for CAT6A when communicating at 10 gigabit is 100 meters, or 328 feet.

I can’t wait for a 10 gigabit feed from my cams! :grinning:

1 Like

Many thanks for that! I had seen that but, honestly, was just to lazy to track it down. Appreciate the verification!

1 Like

NP! Gave me an excuse to double check on a few things myself! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@sodcam & @tomp, you guys are exactly correct, Cat6 does provide better bandwidth and longer distance. I was a network engineer in a former life. :wink:

I have since run a couple of 75 foot Cat5 cables from an 8 port switch connected to my modem/router. One cable goes to the back of my house and the other to the front. My thought is that will cover all of the places I may want place my WCOs.

But, do we really need 10 GB? Even with 4 cameras connected to the base, I doubt they will need or even use that much bandwidth. Remember, they are not going to be live streaming all at once, all at the same time.

1 Like

Of course not, not even close. 100 Mbps Ethernet is more than you’d ever need for Wyze products. The “HD” mode pushes roughly 100 KB/s (that’s how it’s reported in app) so that’s under 1 Mbps per camera. You’d need 1,000 cameras at your house to even begin to worry. :slight_smile:

1 Like