Outdoor Cam Constantly Falls Asleep

This is the response I received from my report: -
Your ticket (836449) has been updated. To add additional comments, please reply to this email.

Oct 26, 2020, 1:51 PM PDT

Hi Julie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. This is Lexter, your Wyze Wizard for today. I truly understand that when you close the Wyze app, the camera seems to turn off and that you have to manually turn this on. No worries, allow me to do my best to help you with this.

Let’s see if we can determine what’s occurring. Here are some troubleshooting steps I would like you to try.

• Try using a different power adapter and a power cable.
  • Unplug Wyze Cam, remove any MicroSD card or Wyze Bridge attached to the device , and power back up again.
  • Press on the setup button to see if the camera says “Ready to connect”. ( You can also do this after the camera turns off. )

If this would not work, please know that I am always here to help you. Have a good one. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Lexter Wyze Wizard

Oct 24, 2020, 8:20 PM PDT

Camera turns off and I cannot access camera from mobile app. I have to manually turn the camera on and then immediately access it from mobile app. When I close app the camera seems to shut off and I cannot access from the app

This email is a service from Wyze.

I explained that it was an outdoor camera and is not plugged in.

1 Like

I also referred him to the comments on the forum

1 Like

I just got my outdoor camera today and I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve already powered it on and off manually and left it on for awhile without exiting the wyze app but once I exit the app the camera turns off and won’t wake up once I try view a live feed.

1 Like

I can confirm the camera does seem to be recording events at night but after that it goes back to sleep and if try to view a live stream, it never loads.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze community @Ray.GJ!
Have you made sure that the base station firmware is up to date?

1 Like

Same issue , records events but no live view!

1 Like

yes firmware is up to date

2 Likes

i just got this reply from wyze support

Hello Scott,

Thank you for reaching out to Wyze Wizards team. My name is Jermaine and I’d be glad to assist you.

We identified an issue that caused a connectivity problem for the Wyze Cam Outdoor. This was caused by an updated hardware component in the production process back in September. The most recent official firmware (4.17.0.159) isn’t compatible with this new hardware. If the firmware is updated to the .159 firmware, you will have this problem.

We’re working on a Wyze Cam Outdoor firmware that’s compatible with both old and new hardware. Stay tuned for that update! It will come in the form of a base station update first which will then trigger an update for the camera itself. Once released, you can also manually flash the firmware if you have a microSD card handy and a way to put it into a computer. We anticipate this being available within the next few days.

We are so sorry for any inconvenience that may have caused.

Thank you for being part of Wyze! Have a great day and take care always!

Best Regards,

3 Likes

I also was excited to get my new outdoor wireless cam, but was immediately having problems with the camera going to sleep and not being able to reconnect without bringing back inside, turning off and on, etc. I made sure the camera was updated. I bought the camera at Home Depot and returned it.

this is my issue.
I have 4 outdoor cameras.
2 work and the newest 2 do not.
working cameras have 417.0.173 firmware. non working new cameras have 417.0.159 firmware.
if I try to update it says I have the latest version.

Just got the same response. While I’m not happy with the issue, I’m very happy with the support response. Lets keep our fingers crossed for a fix in the next few days.

From Wyze:
10/27/20 3:00 PM PT - We identified an issue that caused a connectivity problem for the Wyze Cam Outdoor due to an updated hardware component in the production process. The most recent official firmware (4.17.0.159) isn’t compatible with this new hardware. If the firmware is updated to the .159 firmware and you are using one of the updated cameras, you will likely have difficulty connecting to the live stream although Event videos will still function.

We’re working on a Wyze Cam Outdoor firmware that’s compatible with both old and new hardware. Stay tuned for that update! It will come in the form of a base station update first which will then trigger an update for the camera itself. Once released, you can also manually flash the firmware if you have a microSD card handy and a way to put it into a computer. We anticipate this being available within the next few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
See this page for updates:

3 Likes

seems like the issue is fixed. Outstanding support!

Can someone who has received the new firmware list the version numbers? Both base and outdoor camera?

Thanks!

My listed issues are resolved. I have version 4.17.0.160 on my camera and 4.16.0.169 on the Base Unit.

only one of my cameras updated to v4.17.0.160 base station also updated to v4.16.0.169.
my other camera says Everything’s good, you’re up to date v4.17.0.146.
it will not connect.

1 Like

Hi @xcessive! What will not connect? The updated base and outdoor cam
or the other 3 that have not been updated (still on 4.17.0.146)?

1 Like

Have you been able to update now?

1 Like

Yes the updated cam connects to the updated base without issue. The base with 4.170.146 will not connect. I tried power cycling numerous times. I tried updating from the app and no change.

1 Like