Outdoor Cam Constantly Falls Asleep

I was excited to receive my new “Outdoor Cam” three-days ago. I went through the setup process and fully charged my cam. Everything was working fine for one-hour. I tried to connect to the cam and view the video feed. The cam would not connect. I went through the troubleshooting protocols several times, reinitiated the setup protocols serval times, but the same thing continually happens; the cam works for about five minutes, then I cannot reconnect. I have to cycle the cam off & on to allow my Android phone to reconnect.

After this first day of frustration, I left the cam off and connected to the charger. 24 Hours later the cam indicator is blinking Red; indicating it was still charging (something is seriously wrong).

Today, with the cam 6-feet from the Base Unit, I cycled the cam “on.” even though the cam was flashing red. The cam connected to the base unit, and I was able to view the video feed. The light on the cam was solid blue (meaning it was connected). About two minutes later, the cam light went dark (off). This indicates the cam is no longer connected; a repetition of the problem I noticed on Day-One. It appears the cam falls asleep after two-minutes and will not wake-up until I manually cycle the switch on the cam.

Is anyone experiencing a similar problem?

I have a support ticket #833483 in the queue. Still waiting for a response.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

Where you continually live viewing during this and the light and camera shut off? Or did you exit the app or exit atleast live view?

The camera is designed to go into a battery conserve mode when not actively recording, or being live viewed. During this mode the pir sensor is active awaiting a detected event to wake the camera back up. If you had exited the live view, it would be normal operation for the blue light to turn off.

2 Likes

All I did was switch views to another Wyze Cam (Pan Type) and returned to the Outdoor Cam.

If it is asleep, why must I manually turn the cam off & on? Why can’t I reconnect to the Cam if that is a cam feature?

Shouldn’t I be able to reconnect with the Cam through my Android phone, without manually kick-starting the cam?

What about the constant flashing red light, even after charging the Cam for 24-hours?

1 Like

Yep, if you exited the live view of the WCO, it’ll go into battery conserve mode and the blue status light will go out.

Yes, you should be able to without having to do anything else. If you live view, exit for a moment, then try to go back into the live view, what are the prompts you see on the screen?

I’ve seen this issue in the past a few times, and folks have been directed to Support to report the issue. What power source and cable are you using to charge the camera? If you go u to live view, what does the battery indicator say?

2 Likes

I am using a Wyze AC power supply with a USB connection. When I do manage to receive data from the cam, I see a 100%. I also receive a message indicating the cam is fully charged. Yet the red light continues to flash. Ugh… Frustrating.

1 Like

On my android I see the attempting connect prompt. After the third attempt, I receive an error message asking me to reboot the cam; if that fails, reboot the Base Unit.

1 Like

Just received mine yesterday (outdoor) and having the same issue. Once the device goes into sleep it wont wakeup via live stream, only on detection.

I’m a network / systems engineer, I’ve tried to do my own basic trouble shooting but now seeing others with the issue I do believe this is a current bug.

Going to create a support ticket as well.

3 Likes

I’m having the very same issue with mine. In my case if I power cycle the outdoor camera it comes back fine for a short period of time, the blue light is solid, but then goes out. In the app, my other cameras are fine and the new outdoor camera spins and errors out. Another power cycle to repeat the same experience.

1 Like

Yep, same here. Its when it goes into sleep mode it will not wake up via the live view function.

1 Like

I also tried it on my iPad app and it won’t wake up either. The error code is 13 which is different than 20 on my android phone app.

1 Like

Add me to the list having the same issue. Just got 3 cameras and all have the problem. The one I received with the starter bundle a month ago works fine.

1 Like

That’s worries me even more as a new user. I thought maybe software issue but seeing it being all new outdoor units (new batch?) this could be a hardware issue!?

1 Like

I am having the same issue and am very disappointed because I have been successfully using indoor cameras for a few years

1 Like

I have the same fear about the hardware…and maybe batch related.

1 Like

If you have not already submitted a support request here is the link to the page: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us

Select “Contact Us” on the bottom of the page and follow the prompts.

1 Like

Yep, did a ticket this morning

1 Like

Same problem here with outdoor camera. I’ve got an open ticket for support as well.
Mike

1 Like

Got a ticket pending also…

1 Like

Same exact issue here. Submitted a ticket.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. I have 2 I purchased in June that work perfect. ORDER # 002902750
These 2 I’ve had only a few days and they go completely off. ORDER # 003745095. I have to set them up again and the same issue in a few minutes. These seem to be faulty. I tried using the base station that the two working ones are on and I have the same issue. older ones have firmware 4.17.0.173, new ones have firmware 4.17.0.159

1 Like