Outdoor Cam Battery Drain

The really ridiculous part of this is that the battery usage shows it was fully charged and that <1 minute was used for live stream. All other indicators show 0 minutes. Yet the battery is DEAD (0%).

Just sent support an update about what I did.

Another reply from support. Since all of the WCO’s are less than a year old (a couple of mine were pre-ordered and received late Sept/early Oct, 2020), I suggested they just replace it as it appears to be an issue with certain batches (or a single batch). I say this because only certain ones are effected by this issue. I have 2 others and share a third with a neighbor and the other 3 don’t have this issue at all and all are on the same firmware/base station firmware. So it appears to be hardware related.

They also asked if it had been dunked in water or had leaked. I told them no as it has never shown evidence of any water inside (nothing under the silicone seals when I charged it) and it is mounted under an eave on my shed.

I just sent the all the info they needed to prove my purchase. Looks like they may just replace it.

And they are. I’ve received shipping info. Should be here mid-next week.

I do want to say that Trisha at Wyze was very easy to work with, understood the issue and was very willing to help. Thanks, Trisha!

I purchased 2 Wyze Cam Outdoor in May of 2021. They would last 3 months on a charge, suddenly both die in a few days. It really feels like it is a firmware update gone bad. Have a support ticket open. We will see how this plays out.

What version of firmware do you have?

[4.17.1.185] (August 9, 2021)

• Fixed a Base Station bug that prevented Event videos from being received properly if sent from multiple cameras at the same time

base is 4.16.2.16

This one killed a battery quickly on one of my outdoor cams. They are working on a fix.

Alright, working correctly again. I rolled back the firmware on the base unit to 4.16.2.12 and now battery consumption is back to normal. Tech support at Wyse says their engineers are working on a fix for the bad firmware 4.16…2.16.

1 Like

I am seeing this issue as well. It started with one, then another, and the another. Three cameras drains in less than 24 hours, I have two others that have not been affected yet. I suspect that these two cameras will succumb when they need to be recharged. Two separate base stations running 4.16.2.16. Cameras running 4.17.1.185. Hope it is fixed soon.

Is there an ETA for the fix yet? I think I see it in beta.

I have 4 outdoor cams. 2 are having the battery drain issue. All are on firmware version 4.17.1.185. The 2 with the issue drain within 24hrs.

What’s your base unit firmware?

All, I am happy to say the replacement has solved the issue for me. It came needing an update and it updated to 247. Fir those frustrated with this, I agree. It makes no sense that a perfectly good camera will”suddenly” have a battery draining issue if not because of the known problematic firmware. Do open a support ticket though. It worked for me (so far). I too will be glad when they publish a fixed firmware.

1 Like

Have one of two outdoor cams draining battery in a day after last firmware update

Be sure to submit a log, and post the log number at the link above.

1 Like

Martin - you don’t what version of firmware you installed. The newest release, 4.17.1.287, seems to have fixed the issue. If you installed 247 or 185, they are known to have battery draining probs in some circumstances.