Outdoor Cam base station isn't wireless?

Not only do you have to wire to the router—BUT— the motion detection does not work in TRAVEL MODE! Where did it say that?

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like a good solution of buy someone else product to make our product work. poor design.

1 Like

You are correct. I may just buy another SkyBell door bell that has a built in camera and no monthly fee.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze community!
I was just using an extender because I wanted to place the cameras further outside of of my house. Every place is different and you might not need this! You just have to experiment with it.
Wyze did state this on their product page AND video for the WCO!
It’s the buyer’s job to look at the information.

It’s also important to note that Arlo is more then 2 times the price of Wyze also has to be hard-wired to your router!

2 Likes

But look at Blink that doesn’t have to be hard-wired. If they can do it so can Wyze and I was hoping Wyze would do it better than Blink…
Blink is the competition Wyze should worry about not Arlo.
This cam has the potential to [beat Blink] but it’s being crippled by hard-wiring the base station.
Not everyone has or wants to run routers/hubs/switches through their estate to achieve what Blink can already do wirelessly
Wyze needs to capitalize on this and not let it slip away…

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

Blink also costs more(Just a little more). I do get your point though! Wyze should be able to do this!

1 Like

Got a question regarding the use of “WiFi Extenders”.

Has anyone gotten this to work? My camera is not here yet, and I am surprised to learn that I need to wire the base station to my remotely located router. So I am doing a little prep work.

As far as I can tell, an Extender in Access Point mode is not the same thing as a Bridge, which, I think, is specifically what is needed for this situation. Are you folks talking about using Extenders that have a Bridge mode? My Extender doesn’t have that. Or, is it the case that the typical Extender just works in reverse (grabs WiFi signal and outputs to the Ethernet port).

Please advise!
Thanks!!

This is what I use.

Interesting. Thanks for that info.
I have a TP-Link extender that I’ll try when the Outdoor Cam gets here tomorrow.

1 Like

Returning this camera for this very reason. This will be the first Wyze product I’m returning, but the only one that completely fails it’s intended goal. Very disappointed at this poorly developed product.

Good luck with your return. I’m waiting 3 days now for a response from support and a return authorization. I’ll give them a couple more days and then I’ll open a dispute with the credit card company I guess. Hate to be this way but this product just wasn’t described properly and won’t serve any purpose for me.

If I am not mistaking the Ethernet maximum length for full functionality is 100 feet. So the base station can be 100 feet away from your router…

You must have skipped the installation video before your purchase…!

The only thing in the answer to that connection question is missing is the maximum length of the Ethernet cable which should be 100 feet…!

1 Like

There was no install video when I made the purchase. I already covered that subject.

That’s a pretty silly comment when the general public are going to be buying this thing at some point based solely off information provided at point of sale - IOW - based on the packaging for the most part. Guess what the packaging says? WIRE FREE. No mention of requiring an ethernet connection. At best this is a major oversight and at worst it’s deliberately misleading.

1 Like

actually ethernet has a max distance of around 300’ (100 meters), but also depends on the cable (cat 5, 5e, 6)

I completely agree with Onslow.

I am sufficiently technical, and still, I connected with the “Wire Free” comment. No need to read further, there’s “No” wires, right?

Definitely misleading, but I’ll give Wyze the benefit of the doubt and say that they likely just missed this. The net result is I bought it, and many, many will likely do the same with the same understanding.

Hopefully when it gets here tomorrow, it’ll connect without any drama. If it can’t, I’ll try the extender that I already own. If that doesn’t do it, it’s going back.

The limit of 100 meters applies to Cat5, 5e, and 6.

The first strike was that it wouldn’t connect to a brand-name switch that everything else in the world connects to.
The second strike was a comment from a poster who defended Wyze saying that the fact that ethernet was required was in ALL the materials prior to order when another poster proved that wasn’t true.
The third strike was the packaging which has no “requirements” panel unlike every other piece of computer hardware, a cleverly positioned base station shown with 2 antennas and NO ethernet port and WIRE FREE in 2 places on the packaging.
Strike four, if there was such a thing, would be the problems people are having with motion detection.
Strike five is battery life although I’ve no direct knowledge of that since the camera has been back in the box for 3 days already.
Strike 6 is the fact that I’m waiting 4 days for a return authorization on a device I never should have ordered.
I’m very technical and have others in the family just as techie if not more - but I have a life that doesn’t revolve around making every device I buy becoming a project. I don’t care to re-wire the house, move switches or add extenders. All I wanted was to replace a camera IN the house looking through a window with one OUTSIDE the house and I was willing to sacrifice occasionally having to charge it for the advantage of not dealing with IR reflections and so on. This thing isn’t ready for prime time, wasn’t marketed properly and is certainly not worth anymore of my time - although I will be devoting a few minutes to a credit card chargeback if I don’t hear from Wyze in the next 2 days.