Our Pitch to Investors

Great video Wyze! Can’t wait to see what you have in store besides what’s listed in the roadmap. Good luck with investors

I’m the opposite, the fewer the apps/accounts, the better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Doing big things! In Jan 2019 Wyze announced a $20Million investment from Norwest Venture Partners.

Apparently from that they “now have over 30 pieces of hardware in the works.”

Questions on everyone’s mind have got to be:

1. What are these 30+ Pieces of hardware in the works?
  2. Is the $20 Million all used up already? What are they going to do with even more investor money?!?
  3. Please tell us you aren’t going to give away too much ownership/control to investors and risk having the new investors force greediness and raised prices, more subscriptions (instead of included in purchase), etc…

1.a.) KNOWN HARDWARE IN THE WORKS FROM THE ROADMAP: We can look at the Roadmap to consider what the new pieces of hardware are:
Video Doorbell
Outdoor Cam
Thermostat
Full color bulb
Water leak detector
Alternative Bulb sizes (chandelier, etc)

1.b.) THINGS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO ANIMATION. In the video it showed drawings of some of the following items, though the drawing is nonbinding and doesn’t actually mean they are in the works (they are just indicating things that are often thought of as smart home tech, not that they are necessarily making them). It is still worth pointing out some of the items:
Microwave,
Refridgerator
Washer/Dryer
Car (so maybe a good dash-cam?!)
Coffee Maker (just the smart plugs)
Headphones
…but they also showed ridiculous things like a teeshirt and sunflower…though that could be indicating a shirt related to laundry and thus a smart washer (or just indicative of doing Wyze swag which is listed as maybe later), and a plant because they’ve talked about smart water valve and such.

1.c. WISHLIST RESEARCHING & MAYBE LATERS:
Network Attached Storage -Researching
Lightswitch and/or dimmer -Researching
Loud Siren -Researching
Button -Researching
Garage Door opener -Researching
Wyze Hub -Researching
Outdoor plug -Researching
Covid Respirator -Researching
Floodlight -maybe later
Integrated Floodlight cam -maybe later
GoPro style cam -maybe later
Different watt bulbs -maybe later
Peephole Camera -maybe later
Dashcam -maybe later
Power over Ethernet Capable -maybe later
Outdoor Wyze sense -maybe later
Robot Vacuum -maybe later
sliding door opener -maybe later
Robotic lawn mower -maybe later

2 & 3) $20 Million investment money was a lot of money. Wyze has a pretty small staff, and I can’t imagine their salaries have actually used up all this money already. Sometimes more investment money is actually a bad thing as investors expect things in return, such as ownership, a cut in royalties, demand changes to increase their greedy expectations, etc…I am just concerned that the whole reason I love Wyze could be taken out of Wyze’s hands by investors who come to control it…I know Wyze wants to take over the world with smart home things…but getting too many investors and rushing too fast isn’t always the smartest way to do that when you’re whole M.O. is to keep costs down…and investor’s whole M.O. is to demand more and more profit…the two tend to have conflicting interests. Please be careful.

4 Likes

I get that but in this case it means Wyze only devices. That’s why I only use Wyze cameras not their other devices. I don’t want to be limited by Wyze’s opinion of what my devices should do. I want them to interact with each other no matter who manufactured them.
It’s the reason I don’t use Apple products.

2 Likes

Video says: and our person detection software is almost complete.

Me: ok I guess that means that my dog is a person. Also nothing is now also a person.

Wyze your an AWESOME company and I LOVE what your doing!! Please keep up the good work but, while your at it maybe fix the Person Detection Software😀

1 Like

Nice video! It’s great to create new affordable products for expansion in the smart device sector, but I really hope you can spend more time and energy on improving your original products like the wyze cam and wyze cam pan, too! I enjoy using these products very much but there are lingering issues…

For example, some issues that have been present for over a year and still have not been fixed yet…Cam pan , Firmware , 4.10.3.40 Low audio volume

Also, some areas that can be improved on such as SD card continuous playback have been on the wishlist for almost two years but are still in researching status…Mark Events In Playback

2 Likes
3 Likes

I like the idea. I asked a cold-hearted financial analyst and here’s what he said. Does WYZE have a response?

"Private equity and startups are super risky. Few survive let alone thrive. Much of the technology imbedded in these products is produced by companies you already own such as Alphabet (AI), Microsoft (cloud services), Taiwan Semi, Qualcomm, NXPI Semi all on the semiconductor space. Corning and Verizon provide the network. So lots of investments in the tech space. "

1 Like

I would absolutely love this!! I voted for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha. Honestly we would LOVE for our users to be able to invest. We actually spent quite a bit of time with some fancy lawyers to try to figure out a way to do it. But there are just way too many regulations and hoops to jump through so it becomes very complex and near impossible. It’s not out of the question, we will take another look the next time we raise to see if we can pull it off. We definitely would rather have our own users be our investors, how cool would that be??

8 Likes

If there’s an equity or return position, keep me posted. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Ty Ford

2 Likes

Really excited for the direction Wyze is heading. Can’t wait to see the new products as they come out…

1 Like

There are only 3 things I want from the list the most. 1. A hub to connect all my cameras, bulbs, plugs and any resent/new devices. 2. A video doorbell. 3. Battery/outlet powered outdoor camera.

4 Likes

I would like a hub for all my devices! Maybe Wyze will make the Outdoor cam hub let all devices connect to it?

4 Likes

Why? With a hub you have one point of failure and no devices are accessible.

1 Like

Because then I don’t have so many devices on my network but I see what your saying.

3 Likes

I e been using your products for quite some time. I’m so happy that I’ve had them in this epidemic because they have been a life saver. They let me connect and with my family that wouldn’t be possible otherwise. They rok great for a baby monitor you can share with family. I can bring the phone while doing laundry without fear of the baby getting hurt. They are great when you live stream, but very unreliable when it comes to alerts.

I had two cameras in my house that have both motion and sound detection. I know the sound works because I get one every time the fridge compressor goes on.

Anyway, a friend came over and he needed a place to stay for a day or so before his flight. He set the alarm off and both the front and rear didn’t send any notifications of the sound. This alarm is loud and it really hurt my confidence trusting these cameras.

As many people have said, it would seem that you guys are expanding too fast and forgot your core values. I really wish that you’d fix what you have and be great because there are more and more competitors competing in this space now and I’d be heartbroken if you guys didn’t make it.

You have a great community around you and I really wish that you’d polish what you have. We don’t want a jack of all trades company, We want one that are masters. I mean the latest firmware issues with the ad cards and such are an example of that.

Yes, you explained it was because the code gets more and more complicated and I’m sure it eventually becomes a mess. I get it, you’re human. I’m sure mistakes were made after 15 hour days for weeks straight. I understand, but you’re going to lose your edge and maybe your business.

Ford didn’t make all kinds of products, he perfected one. He was famous for not letting peoples demands change what his company did. “you can have any color you want, as long as it’s black.” Is a great example. Even today, Ford bailed out of the electric vehicle partnership when things got iffy with the economy. They pulled back to focus on what they are best at before they enter an area they have no expertise in. When things improve, I’m sure they will expand again.

Steve job saved Apple by killing off 70% of thier products and focusing on the best they had to offer. You might benefit from the same thing. The band and scale are good products, but without a strong core, the band is useless.

Aside from the band issues, it’s an extention of your home automation. It’s designed to be able to have Alexa on your wrist (which I resisted a long time), and although it has bugs, it’s sorta nice.

So, I understand that you want all things home automation, but where the heck does a scale fit into home automation? I love my scale, but it takes resources away from other things, and more importantly, focus.

I think your community support is a bit lacking and I’d highly recommend that you double down on getting people to engage the community in a huge way. We are the crazy ones posting stuff on YouTube, tutorials, and really doing some crazy stuff you guys never expected. This is a great thing. This is free advertising and critical to your success. We are your army. We just need some guidance, constant communication, updates, and maybe even newsletters, YouTube updates, and stuff like that. Let us behind the scenes a bit more. Let us understand what you’re thinking and where you’re at. It would go far into letting us sympathize with you guys and be more patient. You’re starting to lose our confidence.

What you guys have built is incredible. I’m proud of you guys and I’m a total fan. I sincerely hope you succeed and I wanted to take some time to tell you my thoughts in the hopes you guys become a better company. I belive in you guys.

6 Likes

It seems that a logical thing for them would also be a fire/carbon monoxide alarm. Several smart companies make them and they are WAY overpriced. Wyze is the best! Not only are they affordable but they do an incredible job. Thanks @WyzeDave for making sure even families like mine who don’t make much can afford helpful products like yours!

2 Likes

What is missing in the Video is to tell us how we can Invest :wink:

I am interested so don’t just wet our appetite.

There are several Platforms you can use to raise money from smaller investors.

I can think of Seedrs (UK), OurCrowd (Israel) and Wefunder (US).

Those are all for so-called un-accredited investors.

1 Like

You really have no room to speak about that until you have a publicly documented API to all of your devices. Both a cloud API, and an API to each individual device on the LAN.

The fact that I (my other smart devices) can’t get low latency notifications directly from the wyzecam acting as my sensor bridge when a sensor has an event is a MAJOR flaw, and prevents your products from inter-operating with ANY SMARTHOME home home out there.

If we have to duct-tape it together with a laughably latent IFTTT integration that fails every couple weeks, this is NOT PRODUCTION READY.

1 Like