Ok, I'm ignorant. Cloud? What's that?

Makes sense to me. I love immutable rules.

Can someone confirm that all streaming (live and SD) requires involvement of the back-end servers??

“involvement” is fairly vague so I’ll say yes.
We do have to be logged in to a WYZE account.

The original post I responded to was stating that we directly connect to the V2 via wifi. This is not the case. We indirectly connect. This means we are authenticated then placed on a secure connection. We are never directly connected to our V2. The Live feed is a second or two behind because of the connection. A direct connection would provide hsckers with uncontrollable access, a major security concern.

1 Like

Good info.

So, for live feed and SD playback, the streaming path is V2<->P2P<->app.

That leaves event viewing, which presumably has the streaming path Wyze<->P2P<->app.

Is this accurate?

Both of you folks are still just describing it… strangely. It IS a direct connection to the camera. That’s what “P2P” means. It sets up a session and then gets out of the way - this not coincidentally significantly reduces Wyze’s server requirements. The video stream data flows directly between the camera and your phone, after the initial brief authentication and session setup that involves Wyze and ThroughTek.

The live feed isn’t a “second or two behind because of the connection”. It’s a direct feed.

The video stream data does NOT go V2 > P2P > app. The P2P service is a phone book, not a telephone exchange.

When you’re on the same WiFi network the video DOES go directly from camera to app without going outside your network.

1 Like

Zactly, P2P = Peer to Peer, a direct link.

1 Like

Ah, okay. It makes sense that P2P just acts like DNS and isn’t actually on the data path of the video stream.

That changes the data paths to:

• V2<–>app (for live feed and SD playback)

• Wyze<–>app (for event viewing)

I think this is the mental picture most users need. As a data protocols guy who dates back to the days of X.25, I am interested in how the two endpoints discover each other in local/remote scenarios, but most users just need to know where the app receives its feed from for live/SD/events.

In the sense that there is no intermediate active participant, yes, but the connection would certainly traverse multiple hops between each peer endpoint.

That would depend on where you are in relation to the camera.
Within your own LAN, not many hops.
I haven’t tried disabling data on my phone and Internet on my router. Hmm…

1 Like

Yes, because the clips are actually stored on a WYZE server not the camera.

1 Like

If you do that before starting the SD playback, the V2 and app won’t be able to find each other via P2P.

If you do it after SD playback has started (actually, just kill the WAN connection on the router), it should not affect the playback.

I disconnect my WAN after going into a camera live view but before starting playback.
I could view live and playback from the SD card.
From the camera list I could not reconnect to the camera or connect to any other camera.
So, it seems that once the connection is established you can view but WYZE authorization is required for the initial connection. Makes sense.

1 Like

So, there you have it. Live view and SD playback happens locally - once the V2 and app discover each other - while events need to be downloaded from the server for viewing.

I guess even events could be streamed from the SD card, but that just gets too complicated (plus someone could walk off with the camera and your events).

I would remove the term “locally.”

I can be in California (The Bahamas, London, etc…) and connect to my V2 in Maryland.

So, like Auth protocol?

I see this then also like a security camera array my old job had. We would log into a host portal to authenticate then be redirected to direct access to the onsite server. We blocked direct access to the server from outside the location.

Right. When both the V2 and app are on the same LAN this just results in an optimization, but either way the data path is V2<–>app for live events and SD playback. Anyone familiar with an RDP app like Splashtop would be familiar with this type of optimization (I use it at home to control Pokerstars running on my PC with my iPad…from a comfy chair with a glass of scotch).

Chromebooks can install Android apps, thus you can use the wife’s Chromebook. You can install the Wyze app on the Chromebook.

I’ve seen many posts saying you can’t install the WYZE app on Chromebook.

1 Like

It depends, I am sure there are also ways to sideload Apps like I do on my Fire Stick.

If a Chromebook supports Play Store one must first enable it.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en

No it’s worse than that. Reportedly for Wyze you have to switch it to developer mode and wipe your Chromebook, or something like that.

1 Like

My bad. I didn’t realize Wyze had not flipped the switch to allow for installation on Chromebooks. Don’t know why they are dragging their feet on that. It would be highly useful for many of us.