Notifications

please would like to be able to control a camera to record events but not send a notification. Have I missed how to do that…

thanks love my 4 cameras.

So if you install an SD card in the camera, it can record all activity without sending notifications. You can then view activity in the app.

The camera’s advance settings let you define if you want continuous recording or only events.

I know that and have the sad card installed… really want it to just record events but not send the notification. I only want this in one camera… the rest of my cameras I want them to notify…

If you turn off motion/sound detection, and the SD card is setup to record events only, it will do just that (detect motion and record) and won’t notify you. It will not upload clips to the cloud, just record those events as long as the event lasts. Try it out.

That’s exactly what i have. Two cameras are set to send alerts (notifications) for any motion between 10:30pm and 7am. They both have an SD card so they record all events at all times.

The other cameras have SD cards, and alert settings are turned off, but the record events settings are on.

So, I’m only alerted at night from those two cameras, but all of them record everything to sd card.

Sounds like on that one camera, turn off alerts but turn on event recording (from the camera advanced option.)

I will try that thank you

At this time, notifications are for all cameras (that have alerts enabled) or none. There isn’t an option to have notifications for one camera’s alert clips but not another’s. I believe this is being considered by Wyze for a future enhancement though.

Correct.

I wonder though, since events are recorded when an SD card is installed, why would someone want to set a camera alert if they’re not wanting to be notified when that alert occurs? (Maybe to save the cost of an SD card or below?)

I’d like to be able to set times for each type of alert per camera. For example, motion from midnight to 6am, but smoke and CO all day. (I think this was already suggested. )

Because if the camera is stolen or destroyed, with the alert clips, they are in the cloud.

Good point. Several people, including me, have asked for more cloud storage options.

Damage to or theft of a camera is concerning. Mine are all concealed, and they’ll have battery backup soon (as does my network).

The app and camera functionality are both good, but I’ve seen quite a few people make a bunch of suggestions to make them great.

Good point about separating the smoke/CO alerts from the others. I have push notifications turned off because I don’t want to hammered with them from my 12 cameras. But I certainly want to be notified for smoke/CO.

Now that we have IFTTT integration, I can accomplish the latter. I set up an IFTTT applet that upon smoke or CO detection, sends me a text. Still need to test to see how well it works and what kind of delay there is.

I’m curious… how did you implement the battery backup? If you have a battery pack between the power brick and the camera, did you find one that will provide power and receive charge at the same time?

RickO asked:
> If you have a battery pack between the power brick and the camera, did you find one that will provide power and receive charge at the same time?

My ANKER powerbank does. I routinely use it to charge multiple devices while it is plugged in. I don’t now if all of their batteries work that way, but I just asked their support that very question.

I’m currently using a couple packs that i got back in 2015. they do charge and supply power at the same time. They are about 4"x1.5"x1" so I’m looking for something smaller.

Might consider a battery and charge unit from Sparkfun.com or the like. I’ve used these on other projects and they’ve done well.

Yesterday I answered:
> My ANKER powerbank does. I routinely use it to charge multiple devices while it is plugged in. I don’t now if all of their batteries work that way, but I just asked their support that very question.

Here is their response:
> We appreciate your interest in our batteries but we regret to inform you that now we do not have a battery which could be recharged and charge your device simultaneously (known as pass-through function).

> Kindly be advised that we actually made the decision to stop using this function for our portable chargers. It is because when pass-through charging, if there is a difference between the output of the wall charger and the input of the device being recharged it can cause the portable charger to rapidly power on and off. This increases charging times for both the portable charger and your device, risks significantly shortening the portable charger’s lifespan.