Notifications suddently stopped working without any config changes

@SlabSlayer I gave a sneak peek in a post last week that we’ve had additional fixes in public beta testing! We’re hoping to roll these firmware updates out to the public in the next few days here as long as no new major issues surface. Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about you folks.

4 Likes

@WyzeJimmy, thanks for the post here.

Honestly, I have very high hopes for that. I really don’t want it to turn out like the CamPlus Lite rollout fiasco happening on the other forums. Ouch!

But, given that a good portion of the loss in notifications is being caused by the slow interrogation of AI Events by the AI processors past the 6 second threshold, I would think that server expansion upgrades to handle the increased volume would be a solution that would open the bottleneck and ensure smooth processing into the future.

Additionally, since this is a wildly discussed subject amongst many topics and is, and has been, in development to be fixed, it would be nice to see regular status updates on these issues being ‘actively worked’ pinned to the main page so that the many posters in the many topics aren’t guessing as to what is and what isn’t being developed. It certainly would calm many just to see Wyze reporting on progress in a central area. It has been quite some time since this problem was reported and the natives are getting restless. Maybe @UserCustomerGwen could pin something.

I appreciate the update and your dedication toward getting this fixed. I look forward to a brighter future.

1 Like

One of the reasons the notifications are coming thru for the simple motion events (no AI) is that they do not need to be run thru the AI interrogation algorithm on the processing server(s). When any motion is detected, there aren’t any computer AI algorithms that need to study the pixels to see if it is something to be concerned with. It is essentially an immediate fire notification.

However, when the AI is turned on the motion video is routed to AI interrogation in the cloud on the Wyze processing servers where the entire frame (not just the detection zone) is studied by the computer trying to identify one of the preset AI objects. If it positively ID’s in under 6 seconds a notification is sent. If it is over 6 seconds a generic ‘motion detected’ push is sent. If you have ‘all other motion events’ turned off in the notification settings, you don’t get the generic motion notification and because it took over 6 seconds you also don’t get the AI notification. You get no notifications.

While there may be problems with the cam FW, there is also an issue with the interrogation speed of the AI Bot. Need bigger bots or a lot more of them.

Slab, I thought the 6 seconds was the first 6 seconds of the individual clip, not the first 6 seconds of “AI” CPU time?

In fact I’m pretty sure that 6 full seconds of CPU time on AWS for every clip would quickly bankrupt them…

Hey! Can you please , if you have a moment, list all the people we should be tagging here? Im not on here a lot and not sure who to tag. This would be very helpful so that I can copy and paste to my rant post.
TIA

YES! Exactly! My point. I thought the same. Really? 6 seconds?

Directly from the Dev’s DM response to me:

…,…,…,…

" This is what is happening for your notification issue.

Right now, for “Wyze AI notifications”:

1. The AI service first processes the AI information from the detected frames.
2. If the AI service is able to finish the processing within 3-6 secs then the AI push notification is sent.
3. If AI processing takes longer than 6 secs, a generic push notification is sent “Motion Detected”
4. Once the AI processing is complete the event still gets the AI tag (Person, Pet, vehicle, package etc).
5. Since “All other motion” notification is disabled those generic notifications won’t be sent.

For some of your events, the AI service took longer than 6 sec to process the frames coz of which you did not get notifications.

This is certainly something we can work on improving on our end so that it does not cause such confusions to the customers."
…,…,…,…

Perhaps a non-native speaker and/or perhaps just not well written, but for now I’m going to stick with my interpretation that what he or she meant was still the first 3-6 seconds of the clip’s duration…

Possible, but language barrier aside, the statement made after researching all AI tagged videos in a 24 hour period: " For some of your events, the AI service took longer than 6 sec to process the frames" is quite clear.

I realize it has been 15 years since I was a Network Admin and 30 years since I was coding in Basic back in the early 90’s and it is a completely different landscape today, but the underlying logic still holds true.

If the video can’t be processed in an acceptable timeframe, there are a couple of hypothesis that jump out into plain view:

1. The Algorithm itself has become too cumbersome and convoluted to work effectively = software solution. Takes more time.

2. The servers running the Algorithm are too slow = hardware solution. Bigger Bots or a lot more of them. Quicker solution.

Either way, if my addeled brain can ponder this, I am sure some of the geniuses at Wyze have already thought this too.

Besh,

I think I communicated my point unclearly. My point wasn’t to start calling out Wyze Developers by tagging them constantly in the forums. Sorry if it was interpreted that way.

The fact is that they aren’t the Customer Support department and if they were inundated with tons of complaints and questions thru the forum they would never have the time to do the important work of triaging and fixing the issues.

There certainly is a need for a Customer Support Communication Liasion to post updates full time in the forums though. It certainly would keep the rabid masses (me included) satiated.

@wyzejimmy has already put himself out there by posting here. He is one of the small group of Devs who regularly interacts with customers, mostly the betas, mavens and moderators. That just shows that he understands the importance of customer interactions and information dissemination. I am not going to put the Devs tags out there that have been working on my logs from the DMs. That wouldn’t be smart if I wanted help from them in the future.

My point was to reinforce the use of the newest vehicle where Wyze is not only listening but actively triaging problems, prioritizing them, and assigning personnel to fix them… Fix-it-Friday. Right now, this is clearly the best avenue to get fixes fast. If you are going to post there when it is next opened for posting, include very specific details about your individual issues: cam types, tier of service, number of cams affected, FW versions, App versions, OS versions, screenshots, logs submitted from each affected cam, etc. The more info they have up front the better prepared they are to diagnose the problem.

Hope this clears up my ramblings a bit.

Be safe and well!

Jimmy is a Digital Community Manager and giveaway extraordinaire. :).

2 Likes
  1. Move some processing to camera to pre-process the image.

2. Temporarily, allow users to choose only 1 type of alert. That assumes the algorithm works better if it knows it’s looking for a vehicle, or a person, or a pet, or a package, rather than deciphering that itself.

Any way you look at, there is a price increase is coming. Cam Plus for more AWS capacity and/or more expensive hardware for more processing power in the camera.

I know they call it AI, but it’s really just image processing. They (we) need custom image processing on a chip.

The business case of low cost hardware is in trouble with the introduction of Cam Plus with “AI”.

1 Like

Tony, thanks for the clarification. I will add that to my contact list.

Jimmy, my apologies for the error.

humpelmann, good points made. I fear that option #4, limiting users (CP\CPP) to only 1 type of AI, would cause a mutiny of epic proportions. We have already seen the blowback from the Legacy PD\CPL\Thumbnail transition. CPL only has 1 option and CP\CPP already has the voluntary option to do just 1 AI in our settings, but that is not the product being sold and paid for.

Howdy. I’ve been watching this from afar. I don’t know if this is helpful, but I have had continued reliable detections and notifications for some time. My configuration is::
iPhone SE iOS 15.3.1
Wyze iOS App 2.28.2 (a24)
Wyze Cam V2 2 4.9.8.860
Wyze Cam Pan 4.10.8.860
Wyze Video Doorbell Pro 10.58 (I did not update firmware)
Hope that helps.

I do not have Cam Plus; which wants an annual/monthly plan. when I select it.
I recall I was entitled to Cam Plus Lite free. Is that still good? What do I do to get it free?

OMG! The Wrath of Kahn! Live long and Prosper Captain Spock!

I digress…

I am on Android 11 with app .111. All of my notification issues are on CamV3 with the updates. One VDB v1 with updates. I have CamPlus (CP) Unlimited. Yes, CP is $ subscription paid annual or monthly.

CamPlusLite is available to all now as a ‘pay what you want’ model. However, I would recommend anyone interested review the threads linked below first. There are many experiencing difficulty actually getting the licence on their account for what they want to pay…or not ($0), and also loading the cam to the license. Other issues are in setting the event thumbnail\video type. This is all ‘a strange new world’ so it is still being sorted out.

To get it at no cost, most have confirmed that it needs to be done after logging into your account on the web page. I posted about that previously. The link is the last one below.

My post:

1 Like

A round of fixes has just rolled out with today’s firmware updates to Wyze Cam v2, Wyze Cam v3, Wyze Cam Pan, and Wyze Cam Pan v2.

2 Likes

Didn’t work with just firmware updates. Had to reset the camera which is less than ideal.

I updated both of my cameras and now my problem has flipped were my backyard cam was the only one giving notifications and my front cam was not, now the front cam is the only one giving notifications and that backyard cam is not!!! Cam plus on both and have checked and rechecked all motion settings including turning them all off and back on again. I will try a hard reset of the camera (disconnecting the power and reconnecting), if that does not work I will try deleting the cam from the App and re-adding it to see if that works. This is incredibly frustrating.

1 Like

@WyzeJimmy I’m not sure whether you want to hear this but since the last firmware update my wyzecam V3s are regularly dropping out and back on every 30s on Tinycam monitor. One drops out and comes back on and then the other drops out and comes back on then the first one again ad infinitum. I am only connected to two cameras in Tinycam.

The feed to the Wyze app is working fine. I have eight cameras connected and they don’t drop out on my phone.

I have Tinycam installed on a new Android tablet and the feed from the two cameras has been perfect - the only change has been the latest firmware update on all eight of my V3s.

Any updates or fixes? Cam plus captures ai events but ZERO notifications coning through. Wyze support already investigated and basically told me to cancel my subscription as they cant find the problem…

Went out bought another v3 and have exactly the same issue!!!