Notifications only when connected to WiFi or data

If I recall correctly you don’t need IFTTT installed on your phone. You can set up the applet from a computer browser and it should still work.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve been trying to set up IFTTT with the android app and also on my computer browser, but neither can detect any of my Wyze devices. :frowning_face:

Did you add the wyze service to your ifttt account? It will ask you for your wyze login and password.

Also what method are you trying to set up?
If you set up SMS directly there is a limit to 100 SMS/ month.

If you set up email to SMS the limit is like 750/day.

I got the connection working. I must have used a different Wyze email/pw for the website and the app. I just set up the SMS directly and will see how it works, but I’ll look into email to SMS. I didn’t know that was an option and it sounds better. Thanks.

100/month is not a lot. I probably get over 100 notifications within two days across all my cameras and sensors. If you only need a device or two to send you critical notifications it might be ok.

If you do decide to go the email to sms route you will need to setup a new IFTTT account based on your mobile phone number’s email address.

See: Notifications only when connected to WiFi or data - #12 by kjay

You can quickly test to see if you can recieve an email as an SMS by sending a quick email to your cell number (see instructions in link to find your mobile number’s email address). If that works you can follow the rest of the instructions.

The SMS text isn’t working. I’m in Canada, so maybe it doesn’t work here, or maybe it has something to do with country codes. I’ve tried the 10 cell number, 1+cell number, 001+cell number, and the applet always says “update phone number” in brackets.

Just tested motion sensor and I did get text with 001+cell number, but applet still says “update phone number” in brackets. I also figured out mymobile number’s email address and it sort of worked, but I had to reply “read” to see the message. Is that normal?

I dont think you need to reply normally to read it.

I’m also in canada, what carrier are you on? Try sending an email to your “10 digit cell number@specific carrier” with no 001 in front and see if you get that email as an sms.

i.e try
5555555555@yourcarrieraddress
instead of
0015555555555@yourcarrieraddress

When I go into my gmail and send an email to my phone # email it just pops up like a regular sms within a minute.

When I turn my applet on I get an SMS looking like this:

I’m with Rogers prepaid. When I send email from Gmail to 5555555555@yourcarrieraddress, the text says “You have mail from ...@gmail.com. Please reply with ‘Read’ to read your message.” I’ll try setting up an IFTTT action later to see if it acts the same.

I just read your previous post saying you had to create a new IFTTT account using the XXXXXXXXXX@CARRIER email address. So do you maintain two IFTTT accounts for different actions, or will the one with the carrier address do the trick?

Could be a rogers thing:
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-text/email_text_commands

you maybe need to send a command to allow or subscribe to the service. Not sure if rogers will charge extra, might want to look into that.

I actually have two IFTTT accounts one I set up for regular stuff using regular email and my phone one to test with my phone email. I actually don’t really use IFTTT at all because I don’t need the email to sms functionality and my other applets have been replaced with alexa routines so all my IFTTT stuff is disabled.

I know that Rogers blocks phone#@sms.rogers.com messages, and you must subscribe to Rogers Email to SMS in order to receive phone#@pcs.rogers.com messages.

I like to use the Telegram app because of how similar the features are to Whatsapp. I have created rules on IFTTT if something triggered Wyze, I would receive a message on Telegram.

1 Like