Notifications are 100% broken on Android

Are you using the beta app? The latest beta app has a option to keep the app running in the background. I just rebooted & have not disabled doze to see if notifications are better. Once I get home, I’ll be able to test it out.

Thanks for the heads-up Ken.
I’m beta testing another pre-production wyze product, they have us using a other version of the app. We’re almost done. So I haven’t used the new beta yet.
I have bought a “test” phone that I’m setting up right now, I’ll install the new beta on there and check it out also. I’ll post findings here.

Sadly the latest beta does not fix the notification issue

Thats sad… I just got through installing the beta and have disabled everything we did before, no adaptive notifications, not adaptive battery, background usage turned on etc. but since this is a fresh install I’m still getting the notifications pretty fast. I’ll have to give it some time to settle down.

Okay, didn’t take long to settle in, notification problem is unchanged by the new background switch.
Back to the drawing board?
Well at least they seem to be looking into the problem.
That’s a positive

@UserCustomerGwen please pass this along, maybe it will help solve this issue…I did some testing this morning without using the ADB fix. The doorbell & lock (unlock notification) are very consistent with immediate notifications, yet no notifications from WCO or V2 until I unlock/wake up my phone. So there’s something different with the doorbell & lock that allows the immediate notifications. This was using the latest beta app 2.14.32 with the “running in the background” option turned on.

I also submitted log # 45562

1 Like

Okay, I’m finding the same thing Ken, without ADB the thermostat notifications for “away from home”
Come in at around 3.5 miles every time and the “Welcome home” Also very consistent, but the V2 cams notifications still don’t make it until I unlock the phone.

1 Like

I forgot to test auto-switch :wink:

good to know, there must be something as to why some wyze devices can notify immediately & some cannot.

Okay, I just got two notifications come through on the non ADB phone, they both came through at the same time while the phone was locked, but about 40 minutes late… and the events were 10 minutes apart. So it seems it’s “waking up” getting the accumulated notifications then going back to sleep… You’re right though, it is strange that some seem to work just fine.
They should get the developers comparing notes :wink:

Thanks for the log and feedback! I know some people have been reporting improved notifications but it looks like it isn’t resolved for everyone. I’m on it!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the log and letting us know that enabling DOZE can cause this issue. I have a bug submitted for the developer to fix it.

3 Likes

I just tested the new “Running in the background” setting in the Wyze app (not beta) with no improvement in notification delivery times for contact sensors connected to a Cam Pan v2. So this new setting isn’t a fix. While the messages in this thread are relatively recent, other threads in this forum have been discussing this problem for over a year.

1 Like

Yeah, I have not seen any difference in notification speed with the new “run in background” feature. The intended purpose of the feature is also not very well documented in my opinion, but my understanding is it’s supposed to reduce the latency.

I have Doze disabled as well, but it still seems like notifications pile up and flood my phone when I unlock it periodically.

@XuLi @UserCustomerGwen any update on this issue? Thanks!

Had you tried disable the doze mode and give it a try?

battery optimization is not the same as disabling doze.

I have all my wyze apps set to “not optimized” which does nothing for the android notification issue.

Disabling doze does fix the notification issue & I do have it currently disabled, but you have to use a command prompt & a adb command to disable, which is not really feasible.

you stated almost a month ago that u submitted the bug to get fixed…I was just looking for a update on it.

Yes, the developer is still working on the permanent fix.

1 Like

@XuLi
Everyone uses the word “Doze” maybe because in the android user interface on some brands this terminology is used.
The correct name is “device idle”,
but its inside the android system. it’s a part of the operating system, called “Idle” and it can’t be turned on or off, not via the user interface at least. ADB can be used to turn it off, but it’s a PITA… and a hack. Not a solution.
As was pointed out above, this is a different thing to “battery optimization” or “sleep” or “doze”
It’s an internal android function that is designed to save battery and data usage automatically when the phone is not active, and has nothing to do with whether the app is included / excluded from “sleeping” or “Doze”
I think we may have sent the developers down the wrong path? … Just thinking out loud…

I have know idea if it is the wrong path but i do know using the ADB command fixes the issue for the few apps I have that have the delayed notification issue. I haven’t checked in a bit but I had the issue with Gmail also. I would love it to be fixed though as it is a hack and a pain to do it every time you boot the phone.

As far as I can tell, at least on Android 11, setting apps as not “battery optimized” adds them to the doze / device idle whitelist. This can be checked using adb, so it seems they are related. That said, setting the Wyze app to be not battery optimized does not appear to have any effect on notifications. They still seem to be delayed and pile up when the device wakes up, so I’m not sure.