Notifications and recording

I have read through the various topics but still can’t seem to get my head wrapped around how the notifications work. I know I would like for it to only record and notify at the times I want. I know that sounds fairly simple but I guess I can’t get it right. I currently have it set to record events from Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4 pm and if nothing else changes, this works. But if me and my family are all out in the evening, I would like to turn it on for the time I am out.

I have some shortcuts setup. The first one is to turn all notifications on and it is automated to turn on at 7:30 am. The second turns them off at 4 pm and again is automated.

I also created two that are not automated to turn notifications on and off but it appears that I need to set recording to all day but when I do that, it seems like my shortcuts to turn them on and without automation is not working.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell

1 Like

First, recording (all day or event only) to the SD card has nothing to do with notifications.

Second, to get a notification, you must have motion and/or sound detection enabled, and you must have notifications enabled for the camera, for the account globally and for the app in the phone’s OS settings.

There are three places to control push notifications:

1. Per camera in the cameras Settings > Event Recording > Send Push Notification. This can be controlled by the camera owner or shared user and will affect both.

2. Globally on an account basis by tapping the bell icon on the top right of the home screen, or using the switch in Account > Notifications. This affects only the owners or shared users login account on all devices they have logged in to the Wyze app.

3. In the phone’s OS settings, which can enable or disable all notifications from any particular app. This applies to only that particular phone/tablet. (Note: this is not possible in some versions of Android.)

You can think of the three notification control options as three concentric rings or gates. If the inner gate (level-1, per camera) is closed, no notifications get beyond that level. If the gate is open, then the notification can attempt to get past the next level (level-2, account), etc.

You can control #1 and #2 with shortcuts. But remember, as mentioned above, you must also have motion/sound detection turned on to get a notification.

2 Likes

Event Recording has its own Schedule accessed by the “Schedule” option at the top of the Events Recording page, which by default is “All Day”. How does this influence actions that are controlled by scheduled shortcuts? Is this “Events” that trigger notifications or “Events” that trigger 1-minute event-only recordings? I think I heard the 1-minute event-only recordings have their own sensitivity and zone.

The shortcut Action options aren’t clear.
The Actions to turn ON/OFF All Device Notifications actually toggles the overall Notifications and not the Notifications for each device.
So, if you have a shortcut to turn ON All Device Notifications and the Notifications for your individual cameras are OFF you won’t receive notifications.
You have to add each camera to the shortcut.

1 Like

I completely agree. This was also being discussed in another thread. I’m passing along to Wyze so hopefully we can get the verbiage made more clear.

2 Likes

Is there a solution to this?

I have the same issue, if I’m understanding the OP correctly.

Unless I have the camera event recording schedule set to ‘All Day’, changing the ‘notification’ setting to ‘Yes’ in a shortcut for that camera doesn’t cause events to be recorded and notifications to be sent.

In other words, I have the camera Event Recording → Schedule set to 12 am - 5:40 am, for example. So, I’ll get motion and sound monitoring at night and get notified when either of those events occur and are recorded. But, what if I want to also just use a shortcut to turn on notifications during the day when I leave the house? The only way I can get that to work is to first change the camera event recording schedule to ‘All Day’, Then, when the shortcut turns on ‘Notifications’, everything works.

What am I missing here?