Nothing connects in a Community Wifi

My new apartment building has screaming fast Spectrum Community (bulk) wifi. The Clearwater_Resident wifi handle transmits on both 2ghz and 5ghz. So I have tried using a phone and and tablet that only receive the 2ghz signal, as my Android phone and Ipad automatically connect on the 5ghz.
I cannot connect my wyzecams, bulbs, plugs, or vacuum using the app. As soon as I connect to the appropriate wyze product’s wifi, the app times out on the connection. And when it asks to re log on to the community wifi, the wyze product disappears from the available stations.
It is not possible to restart the router as I only have an access point in my apartment. (Note that each apartment has its own login and is separated from each other). My support ticket expired and haven’t received any more suggestions.

Buy a $20 travel router. Put it on bridge mode. Connect it to the Community WiFi (either band, doesn’t matter). Name and advertise your own 2.4 GHz WiFi network. Done. :slight_smile:

There may be easier ways. I’m surprised your “tablet only works on 2.4 GHz” technique didn’t work. Are you sure it didn’t also support 5 GHz? It’s not the same as finding something that only supports 802.11g for example - 5 GHz has been around for a while.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll try this.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

Is this a web portal log in? or individual SSID and password? Id say @Customer 's suggestion is right on if you have a web portal style login. Here is some more info on that. Lots of reading but gives a good rundown on what needs to happen.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll read this. There are two ways to log in, a password or using a portal, add the MAC address to your apartment’s white list.

Okay. So of course if you go the travel router / Gli.net method you’d be adding the MAC address of the travel router, not the camera.

Working Solution : I have been searching for a post about this for a while now .

couldn’t find a solution in any of the posts available . when I moved into my building, I didn’t know about community Wi-Fi or how it works , But spectrum gave me a router and a modem through which I could create my own Wi-Fi username and password .

But lately I came to know my building have canceled that plan in which each tenant gets router and modem .

which takes me back to square one of community Wi-Fi.

I just made a call to spectrum (I have made call to spectrum several other times didn’t get a solution for my problem )

for my Luck I got an experienced person on the other end this time . He Listened to me what my situation was ,

and apparently some interconnectivity was disabled in my account which is like a 2-way connection with my smart devices and internet. when he enabled it all my smart devices started working as before .

NOTE : I still had to add all my devices manually with MAC address .