NOT a Smart Thermostat

The Wyze Thermostat has been incredibly frustrating to work with. Does not behave like a smart thermostat, and is actually more of a hassle than our ancient honeywell. I love love Wyze products, but they have really messed up here…

Main Issues that Wyze MUST fix for this to be worth keeping:

1. TEMP CONTROL
    – the thermostat never accurately hits it’s target temp. For our heater (it’s winter in CA) it ALWAYS is 2-3 degrees too hot when it finally turns off. And that is all the reading of the thermostat (if we set to 70,the heater will turn off when thermostat shoes 72-73) Thus, we have to play a guessing game to see what works.

2. TEMP RANGE / INTERFACE
    – the temperature range (hot and cold) you have to set is useless because in order to change it, I usually have to change BOTH. this is 4x as long as changing the temp anywhere else. A smart thermostat should be able to adjust one as necessary once the other is adjusted. And then automatically keep it there.
    – the range of 5 degrees is way too big. I should be able to keep it closer than that.

3. NOT AS ADVERTISED
    there is no “learning” here. It is a dumb thermostat with a fancy shell and internet connectivity, and that is frustrating, because all my Wyze products have been great til now. Wyze is about to lose alot of credibility of this doesn’t start working like a smart thermostat should…

1 Like
  1. I think this is intended behavior even if it’s annoying since most everyone I’ve seen indicates this is happening. Hopefully there will be a setting to better control this in the future.

2. Personally I don’t mind the 5 degree thing and it really had no affect on my temp prefs, but I can see how some folks would prefer this to be tighter though I suspect it’s linked to the overshoot thing. It’s perfectly fine to use the range in a smart thermostat though. The Emerson Sensi thermostat uses this.

3. To be fair, the learning part is clearly listed on the product page as coming “early 2021”.