No notifications

You and me both! I’m not vegan but I respect the heck out of it. I’m a good hippie in other ways, though.

Thank you so much for your kind words about our company and service! We appreciate you and having you in our community. We’ll get this problem sorted out as soon as we can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi just had a moment to get back on here. Crazy week at work.

i have narrowed this down to pan/tilt.
For some reason when my app crashed it reset all my settings for all cameras.
The regular cubes work fine now.

Pan/tilt was put back but still has issues. (last night) I too got new firmware.

in checking the notifications now as i write this i see some for today.

i do love these little cameras.

Thanks to those that responded.

CJ

1 Like

Hi @CJ454. I have a (master?) ticket that Wyze developers are already working to resolve, suggesting that it’s likely something to do with the firmware. My non-pans aren’t affected by this issue. So to be clear, are you now saying you finally received event notifications on your PAN cam today, or just your “regular cubes?” I don’t think the PAN notifications issue is resolved yet. (I still don’t receive notifications for the PAN events.) So I’d be surprised if you are now receiving some event notifications for the PAN when they initially weren’t being triggering. If that is the case, then I’ll simply reset my PAN cam, which would suggest that this is an interim solution while the developers fix the bugs that caused this issue in the firmware itself. I agree: I love these little cameras more than I initially loved my first iPhone! Any Wyze job openings in the Washington, D.C. area, @UserCustomerGwen? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CJ454, you have my sympathy for your crazy week at work! I hope that it’s been generally positive but that things stabilize for you soon. :slight_smile:

Knowing about the app settings issue is handy and we appreciate the detail. I’d ask you to send a log but after this much time that may not be handy anymore. You can send one in through the Help & Feedback section of the app, if you’re interested.

@YeahThatCee, you’d be a great addition to the team! I don’t think we have anything open in D.C. at this point but here’s our hiring page for in case that changes. :smile:

https://wyze-labs.breezy.hr/

UPDATE: As of at least roughly 4 PM EST today, I’m now receiving Event notifications for the PAN cam that finally appear under the Events tab. I’ve made no changes since reporting this issue, other than downloading the new firmware on the same day I first reported this issue. But testing afterwards showed that this did not resolve this issue. So I don’t believe this was a firmware issue as I haven’t received any newer firmware updates since.

I suspect this was a backend server issue, or perhaps I’m now receiving Event tab notifications for the PAN cam as result of the developers testing something solely on my account to further troubleshoot the issue. But if I had to guess, my issue was probably somehow related to whatever Wyze defined as a “connection issue,” as that issue was coincidentally marked resolved by them today. But I could always connect to my PAN and view its livestream. So perhaps the issue had greater impact than as generally reported. Whatever it was, my issue at least now appears resolved.

I wanted to give them this feedback that they are at least on the right track, whether they’re merely still troubleshooting my account or have resolved the issue for everyone. I’m now receiving the notifications for the PAN whatever they’re doing, or have done! I’ll also reply to my open ticket email that I sent to the developers a few days ago. THANKS!

1 Like

WOOHOO!!! We’re so happy to hear it! Thanks for letting us know! :smiley:

:disappointed_relieved:

I spoke too soon. Although I did receive some notifications for the first time for the PAN, it appears that I’m not receiving most notifications for the PAN cam. This would also explain why I haven’t yet been notified that my issue has been resolved and/or ticket closed. But it does indicate that someone is likely troubleshooting my issue, and whatever testing they were performing triggered a notification in the right direction.

When I View Playback and jump to previous Events, the app captures multiple events triggered by motion, and they are correctly identified by the green jump points. However, most of these events are not reflected in the Events tab, even upon refreshing the view, or closing and then reopening the app.

But because I received a few for the Pan cam, it appears that the developers are getting closer to isolating the root cause. I’ll sit tight and patiently await any word from the team, but will keep providing feedback, should anything happen in the interim, that might prove useful to your team. I’ll of course, update my ticket with this same information.

1 Like

Hi again. i too am noticing spotty notifications. one pan will show a notification while the other one wont. you have to walk by both cameras so they both should trigger.
also noticed the app is saving a lot of still/videos to my device without me asking for them.
Maybe i have a setting not set/set incorrectly.

What logs do you want and what data is in them?
i can look to send if it will help.

Do you use continuous record or record on event? If you use record on event, is the event missing in Playback or is it just the cloud video and push notification.

I found another event last night that didn’t have a cloud notification. It was pretty big, set off motions lights and knocked over trash cans. I use continuous record and just happened to find it flipping through the playback. Reported it including logs.

FIX: Rename the impacted Pan Cam, then Restart the device.

1. Under the Home tab, select your Pan Cam.
  2. In the upper-right corner, click the Camera Settings icon.
  3. Under Name, rename your Pan Cam, then click OK.
  4. At the bottom of Camera Settings, click Restart Device.

STATUS: I have since received all event notifications and all of them are visible under the Events tab. The Pan Cam has been working since this morning and throughout the entire day.

BACKGROUND: I have never received any feedback from the developers; I just took a shot and tried this myself. I was going to delete the device and then reinstall it this morning, but thought I’d try to rename it first. You can first try to just Restart Device, but I skipped this because the firmware update — that was coincidentally released on the same day after I first reported this issue — restarted the device as part of its own process, but didn’t resolve the issue. So there was no need for me to restart the device again. My plan was to rename the device to force the Wyze servers to refresh its’ communications database for my camera. If you want to later rename your cam back to what it was originally, that shouldn’t break the connection again; however, I’d suggest waiting as long as 24 hours after each name change just to confirm that the renaming holds without any negative impacts to the Events tab or event notifications, at least during this initial troubleshooting period.

POTENTIAL CAUSES: I have a couple of theories, but I have no idea.

• Firmware bug. I no longer consider this to be a true cause, but because the firmware, software, communications and database servers work collectively together, it would be difficult to rule it out entirely as an enduser without any developer access to see what the heck is actually going on.

• The Wyze server may have been experiencing a communications issue that impacted others in different ways, since my Pan Cam is a brand new install. So I may have tried to install mine during a period when the database record for my camera got corrupted. This would explain why not everyone was impacted by our specific issue, and also why my other two Wyze cams (which aren’t Pans) weren’t impacted by this issue, because I installed them both months ago.

• I have colons in each of my device names, i.e. “Name : Location”. While the Wyze servers surely use the MAC Address for identification, perhaps the similarity of names during the communications issue above contributed to “confusing” the database.

• A strong candidate is that I switched the locations of the cameras around when I recently purchased the Pan Cam, because the Pan Cam has a potentially wider view — if Pan Scan is enabled. So I swapped out an existing Wyze Cam with the Pan Cam and moved it to a fixed location not requiring panning. I then renamed them in the “Name : Location” format to reflect their new locations. This means that at some point, at least two of my three Wyze cameras had the same name simultaneously, as I was tweaking best locations and moving things around. So even though the cams are identified by Mac Address, renaming them during the communications issues could have easily been an entry point for any coding or identification errors between the firmware and servers, introduced during the new setup installation process. This personal theory is what made me think by just renaming the device, now that the communications issue has been resolved, could refresh whatever might have broken.

CONCLUSIONS: I’ll provide future updates should anything change, but as of now, this issue for me (again) appears to be resolved. Just as I can’t see the servers that would help me expedite a resolution, I think it’s important to provide as much local information as possible, even beyond the logs, to put your eyes on the developers — just in case it helps expedite immediate resolutions and future preventions for the community. My feedback is designed not to criticize, but to support that mission. I currently have three Wyze cams for a reason: I believe they are the best bang-for-the-buck cameras on the market in terms of customer service, features, functionality, price, quality, and service reliability. These things happen.

Try my suggestion above, and please let us know whether it didn’t or did work for you too. Thanks.

The Pan Cam has stopped sending notifications, again. So something is “breaking” the connection. I’m going to delete the device, and then reinstall it, in hopes that it will de-register from the Wyze systems and keep the notifications consistent. If that doesn’t work, I may have to try to return it, just to get another device with a different MAC address. Running out of ideas!

UPDATE: Okay, I deleted the device from the app, and reinstalled it. I’m now receiving notifications again. If this sticks, then deleting the device will prove to be the true “fix” until the developers update firmware/backend servers to prevent whatever caused this is happen. Keep your fingers crossed! Will report back at end of day if all goes well, or to notify that the notifications have once again stopped working.

1 Like

I’m keeping an eye on this. Please let us know the results!

It’s still working. So I think we’re good to go! I also increased the sensitivity from 50 to 100 because some motion still wasn’t being triggered, but all seems to be working well.

I’m still testing a few things though. Can you confirm if I am right in that Playback from an SD card will mark any and all detected motion green, regardless of the set sensitivity threshold? I can’t say for sure, but it seems that might have been what was happening all along, that notifications are pushed and Events are created under the Events tab based on whatever the sensitivity threshold is set from 1 to 100, even though under Playback one could find events marked in green that were triggered by a higher threshold.

I seemed to notice some of this behavior, but can’t say for sure if it’s intended but counterintuitive, or an actual bug that contributed to some confusion on this issue.

1 Like

I have 4 wyze cams in house. Today Jan 20, 2019 all the alerts stopped working on all 4 cameras. Turned them all off and back on. Reset wifi. Reinstalled app and still no alerts. Set all alerts to Max setting, danced and walked in front of them all. Nothing. They all work fine. I can see them live, just the alerts stopped working today. They are all a few months old, except for one I just got a few days ago

Same issue here in Canada. Went through support and their final answer was, sorry, no warranty on items shipped to CANADA! That is apparently true in the fine print of sale on Amazon. Regardless, too many people reporting same issue suddenly and its going to end up being a firmware fix that they will eventually wake up to. I did everything you suggested as well to no avail. I did a full delete from account and re-add but i can tell the database still associates this cam with my account as first loging with ‘new’ cam showed last known recorded still frame from previous setup. Camera works great, and greem motion box surrounds area of motion but NOTHING gets recorded and no marks are noted on the Playback timeline. No errors are presented either. If i do a manual record or photo it DOES record to the SD card but none of the motion events do.

Just to clarify… motion events (12 second clips) are completely independent from the SD card video. The event clips are accessed in the Events tab of the app. They are turned on in the Event Recording section of the camera settings.

The SD card recordings are played back from the View Playback button. They are turned on in Settings > Advanced Settings > Local Storage and and can be set for continuous or event only. I’d suggest setting continuous and see if you get video saved to the card for playback.

If your cloud clips are not making it to the cloud, that could possibly be related to your ISP being outside the US. Wyze does not have the infrastructure to support outside US connections (yet) and that’s why they don’t sell them outside the US. Amazon is not complying with Wyze’s request not to sell them outside the US.

2 Likes

Exactly what happen to my 3 cameras. All day no alerts. So what’s the fix?