No Motion Detection Since 10/14/2020

Big fail, Wyze. No events recorded all morning, despite 2 people and 3 pets moving around. Wife asked me to see which animal was responsible for some mischief, but zilch. Not a great way to get buy-in from the one who must be satisfied.
The crappy Foscam that I used to have is starting to look like a rockstar by comparison.
The “but at this price” argument is long gone. If it never does what you want, then the price is too much.

M person detection has stopped. My cameras see everything else. A car, leaves blowing by, branches moving. But it ignores people altogether now. I know person detection was taken away but it should still see the motion of someone walking by, just not notify that its a person. Whats the point of security camera. Everything else works fine. Annoyed

Yeah, the minis are fairly basic cams (local storage, motion detection, 2 way sound and that’s about it without a subscription).

I wouldn’t buy them at the normal prices ($35). Even with Prime Day prices they were still $25, but I was buying a couple of Echo Show devices on Prime Day and they let me add a Blink mini for $5, so it was hard to think of why on earth I wouldn’t get them. I mean, worst case scenario I could just resell them for 2-6 times what I paid. I needed a couple more cams anyway, and the spots I needed them in I don’t need PD, so $5 seemed reasonable to meet that need, to try something so popular (and strangely highly rated), and see the differences.

I still like Wyze for the most part, but when I want reliable PD I get Eufy Cams, even if I already have a Wyze cam covering that same area for other reasons (automation, rules, etc). Haven’t tried others with PD yet, though I’d like to since Eufy sometimes has some bugs too, especially it seems once the SD card fills up,

For example, I sometimes get missed spots where recordings don’t save right (just empty space in the timeline) and the notifications have some weird issues not showing the thumbnail, or when I click on them it sometimes links me to the wrong event. It also doesn’t do everything it says it does (individual person facial recognition, etc), but at least it does notify reliably about PD, which is what I mostly wanted it for. Sadly, it doesn’t offer PD as an Alexa event skill (do something or announce something whenever the camera detects a person on that cam), but Wyze does have this awesome capability.

So yeah, I’m definitely open to checking out others with PD, but I have to admit that despite their own issues, Wyze gets a lot of bonus points in areas others are lacking.

1 Like

Interesting, so Eufy doesn’t have Alexa announcements either. Does anybody have this integration other than Wyze (and I assume Ring/Blink)?

There are probably more, but it appears that at least the following do:
Amazon Cloud Cam
Ring
(I assume Blink too)
Arlo (though their cheapest standalone cam appears to be over $100)
Wyze
August Smart Home

I just found the others do based on a quick google search, so I am not claiming that is exhaustive by any means, but it appears you are right that there are slim pickings for this very awesome feature!

I love it on my Wyze cams. I have Alexa announce it on all my Wyze cams looking outside to tell me “Person detected on ______ Cam” everytime it is triggered. Kinda cool. Would love to have others do it too.

You can probably make any cam do it by using a complicated “Web hook” or pushing a broadcast somehow else (Tasker). That’s what I have to do for all my Google devices…but it’s way too hard for most people and not native, so, score 1 big useful bonus for Wyze. Convinced me to buy some Echo Show devices.

1 Like

I have a similar issue, where it’s only occurring on my v2 with camplus (which I think some others here are also experiencing?). It was working fine until a few days ago, where it appeared to stop uploading any events to the cloud, Camera appears online and live view is accessible. If I try rebooting the camera, it sometimes works for a while (events will start uploading again) but then after some time it will stop again (nothing gets uploaded). After this started happening, I updated to latest firmware, but same problem persists.

All my other v2s and Pan (not on camplus) are working fine. Would appreciate any suggestions…

1 Like

I never got my notifications to work since I got the camera. Tech support finally just begged for patience and my MAC address. Two days ago, like magic, the notifications worked fine. Less than a 30 second lag from trigger to notification. I’m happy. Probably system wide fix in my case. Good luck. When they work they are great,

I’m having that issue on my PanCam. My Motion Tagging is turned on and the Motion Detection Sensitivity level has to be set at 80 for it to even register me walking through the room on the camera (used to be set at 35 and would detect my cat walking through the room). I’ve done full resets (basically, removing device and re-adding after unplugging) and still have to have the setting up in 80’s for it to work. They gave me instructions on how to do a reinstall for the firmware using my SD card, but have to wait for card reader to be shipped because my PC doesn’t have a reader included (had to order a USB plug reader…). Hopefully that will fix my issue.

I don’t really have a suggestion other than the typical power and network connectivity things. Mine never had CamPlus and has been behaving again since it was rebooted. You might consider scheduled hard reboots. :frowning:

Mine also has no person detection since the firmware update and the person subscription I submitted. Worked perfectly before this.
I have hard reset by unplugging, restarted via app turned off the setting in app and turned it back on. None of that has worked.
Definitely something is wrong with the firmware update because I have not had any issues before now.

I feel your pain. After receiving the Base and 1st Outdoor Cam I followed the instructions and off we went. However, I noticed that sometimes I would get the notification, and sometimes not. Also, sometimes it would record and sometimes it would not. I worked with the support people, trying all their suggestions that I could understand, and made any changes necessary…to no avail. I dropped the whole matter assuming that it may be defective and as I had already ordered a 2nd one, I’d be able to see if the problem would be solved…Not. I wanted to have one for my back door and one for my front door. Well, I do but cannot be confident that I will get a notification and video. Today I put both to the test. Out of 6 attempts at both sites I got one notification from both, and only 1 video (but it caught me leaving so only got the back of my head). I even set the sensitivity to 80% and it makes no difference. All I can say at this point is that my WYZE BAND works well, and my Cam Pans work well. I do have the doorbell on order and if it doesn’t work as advertised I will be done with WYZE. Please don’t continue to let me down.

Mine has been working some the last couple days. I am starting to wonder if it is just night time that is misses the person detection because during the day it has been working. I am not ready to say it is 100% though.

The alexa announcement hasn’t been 100% either but that is the least of my concern. First detect the person!

1 Like

Yes, mine’s been working better the last few days. It sent events for all my movements outside today. Although there were 2 very short clips (like 4 seconds) that refuse to play but that might be a separate issue. Still too early to say it’s “fixed”, we’ll keep reporting back.

R_T -
Good info. For future reference in case I give up, please mention the names of alternatives you mentioned.
Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks for the reply. Rebooting it sometimes fixes it, sometimes not…certainly a hassle to have to keep checking and rebooting (if that even solves it).

One thing I did notice today was that the camera briefly showed offline shortly after uploading an event. It showed back online after, but events weren’t uploading again even though it was back online. I have this camera outside on an extended network and wonder if that could be causing problems…signal strength is strong though, and live view was accessible

I have been having a similar/same symptom on one of my 4 Wyze cam v2 with CamPlus subscriptions activated.
The problematic camera still records continuously to its microSD card fortunately, but it suddenly stops uploading to Wyze cloud(?) randomly.
While this happens, I am still able to access the camera and watch live on the Wyze app, so it’s not a wifi connection issue.
I assume it’s probably because the camera is recording a high-traffic street, but it’s super annoying because my custom rules that would either restart or turn off/on daily doesn’t help.
The only temporary fix that works for me is clicking “reboot” button on the Wyze app.
I have been reminding myself to reboot the camera every 2-3 days in order to prevent any gaps just in case.
Keeping the firmware up-to-date didn’t help.
I already opened a couple of tickets about this, but I haven’t heard of any updates since then.

This is super annoying because sometimes I forget to reboot the camera, and there is a gap for days (usually an entire weekend) until I notice it.

My problem has recurred! No alerts /events since yesterday morning at 8:58 AM. Live view is fine.

This is actually pretty disappointing. I had come to rely on the Alexa person announcements, and now it’s not even recording motion. I may have to attach it to a smart plug and reboot it via a rule once a night. :frowning:

This had been working reliably for months at a time until now.

I’ve never had event uploading problems until my new camera I got just this week got the forced Cam Plus subscription. Now Several times a day I get an alert about motion detection, go to view the event and it frequently says that the event didn’t upload and won’t let me view it. Often these are events that are just a few seconds long, but I never had false or failed uploads without cam plus. makes me weary to actually pay for it when it fails so often during the trial…

I might try this trick of yours, but I wonder if this would damage the camera somehow.
I hope Wyze gives us some workaround for the time being.

1 Like

I hear your pain. I have a similar problem with my Wyze cams. I have 5 v2 cams and they all stop recording motion/cloud after midnight. I have to reboot them every morning to make motion recording work again. I have reported the issue several times to Wyze support and they have no answer for me. Super frustrated!! I’m ready to toss them in the trash and buy something else more reliable.

1 Like