No more dancing around it. Can you fix audio issues with Wyze v3 cameras?

Tried all my V3 cameras and here is the worst case scenario, V3 is 12 feet up a tree.
If viewing on a computer with good speakers and audio cranked up there is some white noise but you still can hear me.

All other of my 15 V3 cams audio was good and I had no issue hearing and understanding audio.

Don’t know what you all expect from a cheap camera that costs Wyze less than $8-14 to manufacture and ship to U.S.A. , bet the microphone is about 50 cents or less…

The issue is that the audio quality was fine on the V2 cams, but there appears to be common issues with the audio on the V3 cams.

But I suppose it’s possible that a manufacturing decision was made - perhaps the microphones in the V3s are not as consistent or good quality as those in the V2s?? Or perhaps there are problems only with a certain batch of V3s produced during a certain timeframe.

Regardless, some acknowledgement from Wyze would be appreciated.

I doubt that as I bought 1 to test on pre-order, then the rest at different times as I expanded my system or replaced my V2 cams.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me… but I expect a camera that is advertised with certain features to work as advertised… regardless of price point. If it advertises two way audio communication, it implies that communication will be able to take place. It would be better to disable that ability and state it is not a feature than to have customers purchase it and expect it to work and it’s usable… when it’s garbled or has unending static.

6 Likes

The V3’s works well for me as you could hear on my side door video and other videos in this post above, the V3 up a tree 12 feet was okay and audio was intelligible too although some white noise.

I Flagged this entire post/thread for a Wyze Staff member to comment, hopefully they do but odds are low as most the staff is too busy looking for new products to push on us over fixing issues / Firmware / Software which has been an issue ever since Wyze diverted from a camera only company sadly.

2 Likes

According to the Moderator that I flagged this entire post to you all need to open support tickets so Wyze is aware of this issue :exclamation: Like no one has not - HaHa

Then reference this post in your created support ticket too :exclamation:

And might as well post all your support ticket numbers here for visibility, then maybe Wyze will acknowledge, but doubtful :rofl:

________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like there is a new update for V3’s that may also kill the speaker as posted here on the forum
V3 Speaker no longer works after current update

EDIT 11-4-2020 23:24
Just updated 1 of my V3’s to version 4.36.6.17 (one that hasn’t found a permanent location yet) and it still behaves as it did prior.

The microphone and Speaker in camera still work as they did on previous firmware version, I can hear audio from camera microphone and hear audio from camera speaker.

I still will wait a bit before updating the other 15 V3 cameras but this one updated without any issues (so far)

They have known about this then

I heard that one perfectly. I’m not so fortunate. I suppose it differs based upon where you are listening from as to the camera’s location. My above door V3 hears well…but I suspect that’s due to the sound being confined in the small porch area and not dissipating. Your one on your driveway was difficult to hear. My porch cams hear white static noise when live streaming and when they hear a voice…it’s not understandable.

I’ve filed so many reports about the noise issue and received no solution that I gave up…which is exactly what they want, apparently.

2 Likes

Please post all those ticket numbers, so it is in Wyze’s face…

@WyzeChao here is my Wyze-Cracker Scientific V3 vs. V2 Audio test. Highly scientific as I used shipping tape to mount V2 next to V3.

There is a difference between the 2 cameras and the V2 has better audio but both do get the audio.
You can even hear my remote alarm keypad announcing the door being opened for further audio…

V2 event below:

V3 event below:

The V3 Wyze Cam Audio definitely could use some improvement but your hardware may be the limiting factor here as maybe the vendors that make the cams you sell are 2 different Chinese manufacturers? - Or some one has chosen a cheaper microphone and audio I.C. chip / audio processor?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Okay Wyze here is your next product, Just don’t screw up the firmware and software…LOL
A future product from Wyze - “The Wyze Crapper” Bidet

New upcoming Wyze product nicknamed “The Wyze-Crapper” a Wyze WiFi Bidet although a firmware bug might scare the crap out of me. :rofl::poop:

1 Like

Update tried to message Wyze Staff directly: @WyzeChao

Funny when trying to message Wyze Staff Members the messages are blocked it appears (SAD)

I sent this message to Chaozhang and many other Wyze Staff yet it is not in my messaging folder, this is poor customer relations and speaks volumes to their lack of concern with customer issues :rage:

----------- Message below is what was sent to many Wyze Staff Members -----------

Chaozhang since you liked the audio test I did in the post 27 “No more dancing around it. Can you fix audio issues with Wyze v3 cameras?” Please review post 38.

There is a considerable difference in audio from a V2 versus a V3, and Wyze needs to address this for your customers and Wyze’s reputation :exclamation:

A little odd, since his profile says:

Let me know if you have any question or feedback about any camera products.

1 Like

Did you get an error message?

On the not in messaging folder, did you look at Messages, then Sent?

1 Like

Agreed. Apparently wind blowing near my cameras will set off the audio notification. I playback the recording and hear nothing. Unless you are void of wind, shadows, insects, leafs, and sunlight - can’t wait for the snow!! A real bummer!!

Later today when I have a chance I will re-create the 12 foot up the tree V3 cam audio test with a V2 next to it to compare the audio.

This will require a little bit of work but I have made an adapter to tap my current 12 volt power feed that connects to current 12 volt to 5 volt Micro-USB regulator adapter that powers V3 from my solar panel battery supply.

Original camera by Honeywell that the Wyze replaced was connected with a barrel connector, so my temporary inline adapter will power test V2 and V3 will be on it’s own 12v to 5v adapter.

This will be done later today when it warms up outside currently in the 40°’s F will wait until it is closer to 70° F and I drag out the extension ladder to access camera up the ladder 12 feet on the tree and run the side by side testing.

I will likely start a NEW POST with all the videos from the side door V2 vs. V3 side by side test earlier.
And this upcoming test with a side by side test of a V2 vs. V3 12 feet up on the tree audio comparison.

Starting the new post is just to have a less cluttered post with these tests, and make it easier for the Wyze Staff to review the audio differences.

Below is the Honeywell outdoor camera that was originally replaced with a V2 in outdoor enclosure, then a V3 once those came out.

The Honeywell cam costed over 10 times the price of the V2 or V3 and was only 360p resolution.
Basically a horrible camera, and Honeywell tried and lost their lawsuit against Wyze for making a better / cheaper camera. Honeywell claimed they had the intellectual property rights as they invented security cameras … LOL :joy::joy::joy:
The judge felt otherwise… There is a post in this forum on the Honeywell lawsuit…

Now at over 100 times the price of a Wyze Cam
I could install one of these PTZ with 32x optical zoom IP cams out of my e-wasted collection of security junk that I have collected when doing upgrades at job locations where I was told to dispose of these working units. Someday I will as time allows.

WTI Sidewinder/Python PTZ Camera

3 Likes

Aren’t you assuming that if there is an issue it’s a software/firmware issue and not an inherent issue with the microphone or onboard sound chip?

And if it’s not addressable by a firmware fix chech back when the cam v4 is released.

NO, @horn as stated in post 38 in this thread…

“The V3 Wyze Cam Audio definitely could use some improvement but your hardware may be the limiting factor here as maybe the vendors that make the cams you sell are 2 different Chinese manufacturers? - Or some one has chosen a cheaper microphone and audio I.C. chip / audio processor?”

Found the Sent Folder, had to click down arrow, did not know that…

Hopefully Wyze addresses and answers their customers concerns this week.

Thanks for your reply.

Still waiting for temperature to get close to 70 F before the next V2 vs. V3 test…

But a heck of a cold front just rolled in…LOL

Just a glitch in another High-Tech Product during data capture…LOL
Real Temperature appeared a split second later.

This V3 has my counties Air Quality Sensor next to it and is available on purpleair.com
That is how I am monitoring many things such as AQI, Humidity, Temperature, etc…

________________________________________________________________________________________

@WyzeChao
Here is the V2 & V3 12 feet up the tree side by side audio comparison, unfortunately they were done at separate times due to WiFi distance to Mesh WAP and V3 beat the V2 in the transmission of data.

Had to unplug the V3 for V2 to get audio to cloud, and for some odd reason the V2 audio was not captured on SD card at that exact moment when both were on and sound was enabled.
(must of been a firmware bug - like that ever happens)

V3 Audio Test from cloud event 12 feet up the tree

V2 Audio Test from cloud event 12 feet up the tree

V2 Audio test FAIL from SD at exact time V3 was tested.

Previous Side Door V2 & V3 Audio comparison, you can even hear the Non-Wyze Professional Alarm System (Self-Installed) Remote Keypad Audio announcing door opening
V2 event below:

V3 event below:

The V3 Wyze Cam Audio definitely could use some improvement but your hardware may be the limiting factor here as maybe the vendors that make the cams you sell are 2 different Chinese manufacturers? - Or some one has chosen a cheaper microphone and audio I.C. chip / audio processor?

And to be fair to WYZE the V2 is not IP-65 rated and the microphone hole on a V3 which is IP-65 rated has a protective layer to keep out the moisture which could affect the audio too

Again the Forum Rotated my picture automatically - to better view click on it then enlarge and download it, Then Rotate for best view.

V2 - V3 side by side setup

The location originally had a 12 volt camera so a 12 volt to 5 volt Micro-USB adapter was installed

Added back weatherproof electrical tape once done and tucked down wires.

V2 test setup used for this experiment

____________________________________________________________________________________________

New post opened for less clutter when reading @WyzeChao
V2 vs. V3 Audio test comparisons for WYZE STAFF review (Hopefully)

2 Likes