Night Vision Setting On Without LEDs On

testing

I have some V2 cameras located in windows and I’m looking forward to taking advantage of this new feature when it becomes available. I also have some V1 cameras that won’t be able to utilize the new feature. They’re taped with black electrical tape now but I’d really like a better solution for them. I would guess that Wyze has some engineer-types who are quite familiar with the internal hardware configuration of the V1 cameras. Would it be possible to disassemble an older (out-of-warranty) V1 camera and simply disconnect a wire going to the IR lights in order to disable the IR lights? If so, this might be a better solution for some people rather than taping up their cameras with black electrical tape or other types of tape. Does anybody at Wyze know if this would work for V1 cameras? (I realize there’s a risk of messing something up while disassembling the camera, but I’m willing to take the risk if there’s an easily-disconnected wire running to the IR lights.)

I’ve done this in the past with another camera brand and it worked great, but other users had helped me by explaining how to do it in earlier online postings.

Thanks in advance for any information Wyze can provide on this possibility.

I’m just a user, but you should be able to simply cut the legs of the leds if you didn’t want them to ever turn on. I’ve only got the v2 cameras, but if there was enough interest I could probably put together a disassembly instruction, I took one of mine apart before putting it up. They’re pretty tightly packed. You’ll want some tiny screwdrivers and a thin spudger to aid in disassembly.

Don’t really want to cut any wires on my V1 cameras in case I ever need to change back to the original specifications and start using the IR lights. But I would like to be able to simply unplug a power wire going to the IR lights (if such a plug exists). Sadly, Wyze doesn’t seem to want to provide any information or assistance for this.

If you have any V2 cameras you might could swap them out for the locations you need this. If not, it might be worth waiting until the latest version of the software comes out and upgrade those locations and re-purpose your existing V1s. I wouldn’t cut wires this close to v2.1.xx’s release.

Make night vision work through a window

Piling on. I’ve applied layers of tape over the IR illuminators, so I can shoot through a window after dark, a hack that mostly works but is inelegant, and I still get some bleed-through. It seems like setting the camera to night vision mode, and turning on the IR illuminators would be two different hardware functions. I would think that would make it an easy code change to separate these actions into two different functions. Then just add another switch in the UI under the enable night vision mode box to use or disable the on-camera IR illuminators.

Thanks!!

That’s actually how we’re trying to do it! It’s in testing now but we ran into a bug so it’s not ready to release yet.

It seems that the bug is only with The pan cam though, Is that correct ?
I haven’t had any problems with the Night vision on pan or v2’s