Night Vision Setting On Without LEDs On

Oh, no. I’m not falling for THAT. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, please! The lack of this feature is the only reason why I haven’t switched completely from Arlo cameras.

EDIT Less than a month from now? That would be sweet.

1 Like

@jdwarner94 you mentioned your spotlight having a hot spot.if its not the IR from the camera itself might this work? I dont know if IR works like general light but could you put something to act as a dispersion filter over the lens? in regular photography you can just put cloth or something thin over the lens and it will help disperse the light over a wider area.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. That may work but since the hot spot is right where the IR’s converge I’m hoping that when I can turn the camera’s built-in IR’s off that will fix the problem. I could test it by taping over the built in IR’s but between installing the cameras & then installing the IR illuminator I’ve made more than enough trips up & down my ladder. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

the IR off control option is in beta right now and its working great for the most part. there have been only a few small issues and know how quick the wyze crew is to hear people out I’m positive they will have it flawless in no time. be aware though that is you tape over the leds you might be left with residue on the face of your camera. it took me a second to clean that residue off and that was from electrical tape.

1 Like

Just want folks to be aware that this feature will only be available on the V2/Pan (not V1) models due to hardware limitations.

6 Likes

I have some V2 cameras located in windows and I’m looking forward to taking advantage of this new feature when it becomes available. I also have some V1 cameras that won’t be able to utilize the new feature. They’re taped with black electrical tape now but I’d really like a better solution for them. I would guess that Wyze has some engineer-types who are quite familiar with the internal hardware configuration of the V1 cameras. Would it be possible to disassemble an older (out-of-warranty) V1 camera and simply disconnect a wire going to the IR lights in order to disable the IR lights? If so, this might be a better solution for some people rather than taping up their cameras with black electrical tape or other types of tape. Does anybody at Wyze know if this would work for V1 cameras? (I realize there’s a risk of messing something up while disassembling the camera, but I’m willing to take the risk if there’s an easily-disconnected wire running to the IR lights.)

I’ve done this in the past with another camera brand and it worked great, but other users had helped me by explaining how to do it in earlier online postings.

Thanks in advance for any information Wyze can provide on this possibility.

I’m just a user, but you should be able to simply cut the legs of the leds if you didn’t want them to ever turn on. I’ve only got the v2 cameras, but if there was enough interest I could probably put together a disassembly instruction, I took one of mine apart before putting it up. They’re pretty tightly packed. You’ll want some tiny screwdrivers and a thin spudger to aid in disassembly.

Don’t really want to cut any wires on my V1 cameras in case I ever need to change back to the original specifications and start using the IR lights. But I would like to be able to simply unplug a power wire going to the IR lights (if such a plug exists). Sadly, Wyze doesn’t seem to want to provide any information or assistance for this.

If you have any V2 cameras you might could swap them out for the locations you need this. If not, it might be worth waiting until the latest version of the software comes out and upgrade those locations and re-purpose your existing V1s. I wouldn’t cut wires this close to v2.1.xx’s release.

Make night vision work through a window

Piling on. I’ve applied layers of tape over the IR illuminators, so I can shoot through a window after dark, a hack that mostly works but is inelegant, and I still get some bleed-through. It seems like setting the camera to night vision mode, and turning on the IR illuminators would be two different hardware functions. I would think that would make it an easy code change to separate these actions into two different functions. Then just add another switch in the UI under the enable night vision mode box to use or disable the on-camera IR illuminators.

Thanks!!

1 Like

That’s actually how we’re trying to do it! It’s in testing now but we ran into a bug so it’s not ready to release yet.

1 Like

It seems that the bug is only with The pan cam though, Is that correct ?
I haven’t had any problems with the Night vision on pan or v2’s

I’ve only seen it with Wyze Cam Pan but I can’t say for sure that v2 is unaffected.

2 Likes

Well. I’ve had my Wyze Cam V2 for a little under a week having bought it to record out my front window viewing my yard, walkway and a heavily trafficked (vehicle and pedestrian) major metro feeder street.

It works great.

But much to my dismay… the night vision LEDs.

Bumping into this thread, I found I’m not alone and I’m pleased to know there’s a fix in the works.

While I wait, I covered the cam with aluminum foil tape and that with black electrical tape.

The white dot is the sensor hole. The black rectangle is a piece of black tape on the glass to block the annoying street light. It was raining here so that’s why the street glare.

My “100 watt” 5000K LED A19 porch light doesn’t effect at all the imaging, the detail in the house across the street being the same with it on or off.

Impressive.

1 Like

Based on what I’m seeing in this thread, I have to purchase my own infra red lights for this camera to be able to see in a dark room. What is the point of night vision if I have to purchase lights for it to see anything?

What were your results when you tested your camera in a dark room ?

Completely black screen. It see nothing unless I turn on the lights in the room. Product does not function as it is supposed to.

Is the camera a pan cam or a v2 ? What firmware And app Are you currently running ?
IOS or android , OS ?