New Wyze Products

I have similar strong feelings for wanting both of those features too and really look forward to their implementation.

For what it is worth, they announced Wyze access on computers should finally be coming sometime this year:

I am excited for that update that they’re finally working on right now.

I too use darkmode in everything that offers it, though it is my experience that dark mode is the exception rather than the rule. I have more apps that don’t support dark mode than that do support dark mode, but there are still a lot that do support it and it is gaining a lot of traction. I thought I might’ve read or heard Wyze mention that they would eventually set up darkmode support, but I can’t remember when or where, so maybe it was just hopeful thinking…but as the demand for it increases I am sure they will do it soon. To be fair though, while there may be SOME IOT companies that offer darkmode and desktop/browser access, I would say that the majority don’t (I have devices from several of Wyze’s competitors, and almost none of them support either of those), so I certainly wouldn’t say it is standard in the industry on average, at least not with most of the ones I have. I agree that they both SHOULD be a standard though.

Still, one is SEEN as simply being cosmetic (darkmode…though I would argue it has a lot of other benefits…hence why I use it in every app that offers it), and the other is used by a much smaller market share of consumers (desktop use). Last I checked, the overwhelming majority of IOT users did everything through their phone, and it was only a very, very small fraction of people (usually older people who both have computers and are used to computers) who want computer access to IOT. I happen to be one of those in that demographic, and while we have strong desires for it, I can’t really argue the overwhelming marketshare being for mobile access and even those who prefer desktop access usually have smart phones as well, so that covers nearly everyone.

It’s the same reason they argue Home Assistant isn’t a priority…the marketshare is small, and they’d be working on something that only SOME of their customers would benefit from, while they are saying they want to first do things that nearly EVERY customer can benefit from first…then they’ll consider these niche projects that a smaller group of us care about.

Still, I agree with the premise…darkmode and desktop access are things I want really badly as well…but I do understand Wyze’s rationales to first do things pretty nearly EVERYONE wants or will be affected by…then add the things that other groups like us want REALLY, REALLY badly, including these 2 things. And thankfully they are finally getting around to working on some of those things for us.

3 Likes