New wyze plug set up not working

Doesn’t Airplane mode turn off ALL WiFi? In other words, I wouldn’t expect a connection to the bulb?

You turn off cell data in your cellular settings. The goal is to turn off that path to the Internet, while keeping the path to WiFi alive. That way when Android phones fail to find the Internet on the Wyze Bulb or Plug they won’t fail over to the cellular connection, thus dropping the connection to the Bulb or Plug.

1 Like

Airplane mode will kill these wifi but you can turn it back on while still in airplane mode, at least that is how mine works

2 Likes

Yes, initially WiFi is turned off when you put the S7 in Airplane mode. But you can turn it on afterwards. That is to allow on-board aircraft WiFi access.

2 Likes

Just got my plugs, setup was easy peasy…I’m using a Pixel 2 XL with Android 10…one thing I learned from the bulbs is that after you connect to the plug/bulb wifi, wait 5 or so seconds for the Android notification complaining about no internet, asking if you want to stay connected, choose yes, then go back to Wyze app setup & it finishes everytime. I’ve never had to use airplane mode.

4 Likes

That actually is the issue the first firmware update is to resolve that issue. You can set it up on a guest network do the firmware update, then set it up on your network to avoid having to shorten the name

4 Likes

I spoke too soon. Last night when I said it was updating firmware it was trying but never actually managed to update the firmware. As of today I’ve tried several times with no luck. The plug I set up last night shows up in the app but shows as offline and I can’t do anything with it.

TWO NEW CAVEATS:

• Depending on your Plug’s firmware version, if your network name (SSID) is 25 characters or over, you may have trouble setting up the Plug. The workaround is to set up the Plug on another network (like your Guest network), update the firmware, then set it up on your intended network. If using another network isn’t an option, then reducing your network name (SSID) long enough to set up and update the Plug will be necessary.

• If you have a PLUME WiFi mesh network and your Plug times out repeatedly (you may also get a 404 error), then temporarily disable “Online Protection” and/or the “Advanced IoT Protection”, as they appear to block access to either Wyze or the Plug. After the plug is activated you can re-enable protections.

3 Likes

I’m using an iPad (wifi only) to try to setup my plugs. WIFI ID is less than 25 characters in length, but password may be longer. Using DD-WRT router. Still unable to get them to work.

I second this. Also using P2XL Android10, but had the same results with Android 9 when pairing bulbs.

This was also the case on Android 7 for me, I had to wait for the “no internet” warning to appear, check the “never ask me about this network” box, then tap Yes. The first time I tried I hit back too soon and it timed out searching for the plug.

2 Likes

I love you so much right now… Thank you!

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone who wrote to me, I will try this ASAP (been a very long day). Thanks again, this really is one of the best communities I’ve seen.

5 Likes

Really was the only reason I signed up as a Maven. :+1:

4 Likes

Yep I agree with @Newshound, and @WyzeGwendolyn has done an amazing job at setting up Mods and Mavens that can help out and are active in the community.

4 Likes

Has anyone gotten any response from support that gets the plugs working? I’ve tried all the suggestions (forget all networks, disable cellular, limit SSID name length, etc.) and nothing is working.

Read through this thread and check this section
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/sections/360006501111-Wyze-Plug-Troubleshooting

2 Likes

Have tried all that MULTIPLE times and nothing fixes the issue. Support finally connected with me to offer replacements.

1 Like

Could be you just got bad ones .
I hope ya have better luck with new ones

Just wondering…does anyone know exactly what happens when you add a new plug? I know you need to be connected to a 2.4Ghz network but the Wyze app asks for the name and password then you need to connect to the WiFi from the plug. After that, what happens? I mean, does anyone have a detailed description of the process after that point so that one could maybe troubleshoot in more detail? I’m a retired systems engineer and am frustrated by the lack of insight into the process. I’m not a fan of “…and some magic happens here.”

I believe once you enter your network SSID & password, and then select the Plug’s network, the app then transmits that information to the Plug, and tells the Plug to connect to that network. Then it switches your phone back to your network, and tries to contact the plug as the countdown clock ticks away. Once they make contact you are set up.

3 Likes