New Wyze Cam V3 (wired) "SD Card is not available" but it's in the SD slot fine

Got my new Indoor/Outdoor Wyze Cam V3 (wired) this past week. Followed the setup procedure with the components in the box, camera, cable, charger. I first loaded the 32 GB micro SDHC card I bought from Wyze that I ordered at the same time I placed the V3 order. So I installed the micro SD Card, setup the Camera [installed the latest update] and the camera works fine EXCEPT the SD Card is claimed to be “Not available” in the Advanced settings of the Wyze App.

Wyze → Settings → Advanced Settings → Manage MicroSD Card.

I unplugged the camera, removed the SD Card and reseated it. I plugged the V3 back in. The camera came up, the camera looks oK, Went to Advanced Settings AGAIN “SD Card is not available”

Unplugged You typed: "My new V3 Cam works ok BUT it fails to find my 32 GB WYZE microSDHC I bought from Wyze. I checked the card is OK on my laptop, i can add and delete files. The Wyze App says SD Card is not available.

I unplugged the V3, removed the SD Card and checked it out in my Lap Top, I was able to see the SD Card, With the laptop I added a photo file to the SD Card; No Problem it worked! I then deleted the photo file; that worked too! I ejected the card from the laptop.

With the V3 Cam unplugged I seated the micro SD card in the camera. I plugged the V3 into its power cable/charger. The V3 Cam worked f ine, EXCEPT, the Advanced settings continues to say : “SD Card is not available”.

It’s a brand new V3 Cam straight from Wyze, It’s a brand new micro SD card straight from Wyze. What’s going on?

2 Likes

I am having the same issue, and have tried/failed the same fixes as you have tried. I am on the 14 day trial of CAM Plus, which I really did not want.

1 Like

You can get out of that trial by not agreeing to the terms by pressing the back button when it asks you to agree to the cam plus terms. Not sure you can turn it off once you’ve agreed to it though.

No idea about OP’s problem.
Maybe the SD card connector isn’t properly plugged in inside the camera. I’d recommend calling support.

Welcome to the community forum @pecnj

Looks like you’ve tried to get it working with everything other then a Full Format. Verify your V3 cam is on the latest release f/w: 4.36.0.228 (December 28, 2020) There was a fix in this release for uSD stability.

• Check the disk with the command line C:\Windows\system32>ChkDsk X: /r Where X is the uSD card
  • Format the uSD card FAT32 and un-check the default “Quick” option so it can mask out bad cells.
    Note: The Format from the Wyze App is a Quick Format

Quick format just marks the partition as “formatted” and destroys the journal that keeps tracks of the files and their locations on hard drive.

Full format will clear files completely from the partition, rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size, and scans partition for logical bad sectors; that’s why full format is slower than quick format. Wyze devices must always use the FAT32 format.

If that does not get the uSD card up and recording then create a Log File for the V3 from the Wyze App and open a Suport Ticket & give them the Log File number.

Live support is available: Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT | Saturday 8 am - 4 pm

3 Likes

Thanks for your help. Updating to 4.36.0.228 fixed my issue. Odd…I updated when I installed the camera this morning, but I must not have done it successfully. Anyway, you fixed my problem. Thanks

3 Likes

How does one call support? I only see the online Q/A and the Forum.

1 Like

You would think a WYZE micro SD card would work out of the box without any hassle. I checked that it was functional for my Win 10 laptop by adding and deleting a file. I’ll try what you ask. I’m thinking this is more physical/electrical, The design not fully tested with Quality Control & Acceptance, maybe to get the product out for the Christmas season, testing was not given time or resources. I used to be in telecom development and can smell the “I don’t care ship-it” and fix it later product “window”.

| dr.know Forum Maven
January 2 |

• | - |

Welcome to the community forum @pecnj

Looks like you’ve tried to get it working with everything other then a Full Format. Verify your V3 cam is on the latest release f/w: 4.36.0.228 (December 28, 2020) There was a fix in this release for uSD stability.

• Check the disk with the command line C:\Windows\system32>ChkDsk X: /r Where X is the uSD card
  • Format the uSD card FAT32 and un-check the default “Quick” option so it can mask out bad cells.
    Note: The Format from the Wyze App is a Quick Format

Quick format just marks the partition as “formatted” and destroys the journal that keeps tracks of the files and their locations on hard drive.

Full format will clear files completely from the partition, rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size, and scans partition for logical bad sectors; that’s why full format is slower than quick format. Wyze devices must always use the FAT32 format.

If that does not get the uSD card up and recording then create a Log File for the V3 from the Wyze App and open a Suport Ticket & give them the Log File number.

Live support is available: Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT | Saturday 8 am - 4 pm

1 Like

https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

My bad, left out the phone number: 1-206-339-9646 :slightly_smiling_face:

There could have been a few bad cards in the lot, nothing 100%.
Performing a Full Format will eliminate this one possibility.
Is your V3 cam up to latest release?

Had same problem. Switch 128 Gb sd card from v2 cam to v3 cam. The first v3 cam randomly recognized the card after about the 5th try. Two other v3 cams would not recognize at all. All cams were upgraded to the latest firmware from December 28th.

What I had to do was put the sd cards in my computer and quick format them as exFAT using default cluster size. Both v3 cams recognized on the first try after that. Note that I also tried the not-quick format… that didn’t work. It only worked when I did quick format.

Are you saying that you got a 128gb sd card to work, after formatting it as exFAT?

Correct. Three cards in three cameras. All work fine after I did the quick format using that format tool that others here have recommended.

I had a similar problem. My v3 was installed correctly. With the card slot secured shut on the bottom of the mount. That is important for what’s next. The SD stopped working suddenly after only about 7 months of operation. As a small electrics technician, after I replaced the camera, I opened the camera and was shocked to find somehow there was water in the micro SD slot. After trying some water damage repair techniques the reader did not start working again. So the card reader is fried.