New V2 Camera - Strange Images At Night?

You’re welcome. Too bad it’s not as simple as a doing cleaning job. Anyway, if that’s the case then, it’s most likely a defective cam. Wyze will send you a replacement if it is. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Agreed. I followed Nerdland’s suggestion of opening a ticket and so I am now currently working with the Wyze folks to determine how the issue can be resolved. Fingers crossed it’s an easy fix and/or a simple replacement. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, I never had the problem with my single-paned living room window and the Wyze Cam, but as soon as I went double-paned, I would get the reflections at night. Turning off the Night Vision IR Lights option is absolutely necessary for me in order to get a decent picture at night.

An IR illuminator mounted outside may be an option for some of you that have the camera inside the glass for better view. It’s a big help for anyone, but might especially be helpful for those that had to turn of night vision due to glass. It would light up the outside with IR without causing the reflection on the glass.

I have my Pan Cam mounted outside, but was disappointed on the distance and field of view at night compared to my old outdoor camera. Once I installed one of these, it invisibly lights up the whole yard where the camera is looking and I can see everything like it was daytime.

It has a photo sensor and comes on by itself at night. This image is with the IR illuminator only, no other light are on outside and that shed and camper are about 90 feet away.

2 Likes

I have had something similar. This example is a still from almost 2 hours apart. When there’s no natural light it appears that the camera needs a clean. Have tried that with no success.

1 Like

I see this behavior on my first and only installed Wyze camera. The camera isn’t behind/looking through a window and the blurry section only shows up on night images when the IR lights are being used. The daytime images appear normal to me.

1 Like

My Pan does that too. It’s something called “bokeh”, and occurs when light bounces off the various elements of glass. I believe there’s only one lens on these cameras, other than the imager itself. Perhaps it’s reflecting infrared somehow. I’m betting it’s exactly what StopICU33 suggested, that the IR LEDs are reflecting rain/dust spots off of the glass back into the imager.

I just moved another V2 camera outside (was inside previously). The image with the IR lights on Night Vision Mode set to on looks like what you are seeing as well. Gave the front of the cam a very good cleaning and it’s still not right.

Any answers here, my pan cam has done this since the start. Bokeh only with IR.

Ok so with further persistence I decided to clean the lense again. I’d used a glasses cleaning cloth before. I started by trying that again but while watching the video. After significant persistence they were definitely less but still there. I gave in and used some glass safe cleaner and… Well dang! First time I’ve had a full clear night shot. I recall there was no lense protector on this one when I received it. All good, just wanted to spread the word. It did not clean easy even with the moist cloth, persistence may pay off. Here’s before and after. 2CAA8E2D2C5F_1595392638609

4 Likes

Wow! :+1: Out of curiosity, as someone about to undertake the same, which cleaner did you use?

2 Likes

It was a weird cleaner that a walk by sales man brought into my work on a slow day, he did such a show and had such a good attitude I broke down and bought a bottle of concentrate. I forget the name maybe avantage?, it was an enzyme cleaner. Without that I would have just used high percent Alcohol as my first test. I only used the enzyme one since I’ve been making sure to get my money’s worth and it is pretty safe and non harsh.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I’ll just use something already on hand here, probably Invisible Glass or 91% isopropyl alcohol.

2 Likes