New use for old Wyze V2 that you replaced with updated V3 cameras

I put one on the bottom of my garage door opener, just in case I get an unexpected notification from my wifi garage door opener… the camera gives me a second opinion… Incidentally, the garage is pitch black, that’s IR only.

3 Likes

That sounds like the more interesting story. Maybe you should start another thread. :wink:

3 Likes

With extra cameras on hand, allow me to introduce the “Dog Poop Cam”.
For when my neighbors forget to pick up after fluffy

2 Likes

I just used the same outlet for the Christmas lights and nailed the cam to a tree.

1 Like

Love it! Celebrate the Holidays and capture the culprits in the act of defiling your property.

Before Wyzecams, we were out of town for a long weekend, and the filler hose on the washing machine broke. We arrived home to find 3 feet of water in the basement. The spray hit the drywall, which then disintegrated and blocked the floor drain. So lesson one turn off the water when you are gone for a few days…lesson 2 put a Wyzecam around the washing machine too.

1 Like

Another use could be to pass the V2 on to someone who has an at risk person, child, adult, that could leave the house, apartment etc, and be undiscovered for hours or days.
Positioning a camera at possible exit points, could record the date, time and manner of dress of the at risk person, to provide to police and others who are helping locate the person.

7 Likes

Turn it into a Webcam! :+1: (V2 and Pan only)
Webcam Firmware Instructions: https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041605111-Webcam-Firmware-Instructions

1 Like

I use 5 Wyze Sense motion sensors at various locations. These include across doorways, in a jewelry box, a drawer, and I have one looking down from the upper frame to the bed of my 3D printer. I don’t, however, have a Wyze camera in a location suitable for the Sense hub. As a result, I just use a V2 pointed nowhere in a location central to my sensors and also use it in its listening mode. It works great. I used to have occasional problems with the sensors disconnecting but not since I dedicated my unused V2 to them.

2 Likes

High school aged kids and a liquor cabinet…

6 Likes

You could use an old V2 but I currently use a motion sensor that is framed to just monitor the shelf area where my daily medicine is stored. It’s a double check if I don’t remember taking it.

3 Likes

I have placed a V2 on the floor in our garage under a shelf that I have all my auto maintenance products directly in front of a mouse trap. It used to be difficult to have to basically crawl on my hands and knees to check the trap (we live in suburbia with lots of space with trees and brush all around us).

2 Likes

@rinchw Oh wow! Sorry that happened. Leaks are why I’ve been hoping WYZE develops a wifi leak detector. I’d buy a dozen or so to put around my house.

Hmmm. Boy I need something like this!

Nice idea! I have several traps I don’t check as often as I should. Can’t wait to buy some more V3s to free up my old V2s.

1 Like

@todwatts it is REALLY EASY to modify a Wyze contact sensor and turn it into a leak detector. I have done this for my father’s basement sump area.

Basically you pry open the case and solder two wires to where the magnetic connector goes. Then just drape the other end of the wires to where there could be water. Since water is conductive, the sensor “closes”.

There are YouTube videos - ping me if you can’t find them.

4 Likes

@mvno I tried that myself, but it killed my garage door opener range. And by killed, I mean I couldn’t use the opener I keep on my visor unless I was already in the garage.

That’s interesting. I haven’t noticed any difference with my opener. Good to know. If I did have a problem, I’d mount the camera on the wall at the front of my garage (or anywhere in the garage for that matter).

1 Like

I’ve seen that, but past experience has proven that I am solderly challenged.

I have soldering iron scars to prove it! Learned that both the tip and the solder gets really hot during the process!

I do have to admit, if Wyze doesn’t deliver the leak detectors soon, I’ll try my hand at soldering again. Thanks for the tip!

They did. Their manufacturer (same FCC ID) put out a “Neos Smart Leak Sensor” 6 months ago.

1 Like