New RTSP Binaries for Beta Testing

I do not have CamPlus turned on for the camera in question. I did, in the past have person detection (pilot) turned on, but my account settings in the Wyze app indicate that it is currently OFF for my camera labeled rstp which is the one were I have intermittent issues.

I went back to 4.9.6.199 and i donā€™t see rstp as an option, or cam plus.

Can you provide a link to the v2 firmware?

I am not going to beat up on Wyze, their products are amazing for the price point. Just want to point out that if you wish to use their cameraā€™s with a professional IP Camera monitoring platform such as Blue Iris using RSTP protocol, you are probably going to be disappointed. I have had four V2 units running for over a year, when they work they are greatā€¦ HOWEVER, they drop all the time and often do not come back without manual intervention using the Wyze app to restart the camera. I have implemented a daily reset AND the watchdog timer hack using VLC mentioned in this forum. Unfortunately the cameras are just not stable enough using RSTP to be a reliable security solution. Your Mileage May Vary but be advised.

I see a lot of complaints about RTSP, but Iā€™ve been on the other side of it.
Iā€™ve had two V2 cameras using RTSP with Synology Surveillance station that have been rock solid for almost a year. Theyā€™re at a second home, and they havenā€™t missed a beat, despite being on the fringes of WiFi coverage for the house for much of the time (I eventually moved one of my APs a bit closer to them). I also have a third V2 and now and Outdoor Cam that arenā€™t on the Synology system, but we use via the Wyze app that have both been solid.

1 Like

ā€œto Brenda from zendeskā€. I see you are working on RTSP Support for WYZE Cam v3. I also know there are non-supported RTSP firmware packages for WYZE Cam v2. With you guys working on integrated support on v3 is there any chance this with be added to main updates and updated for v2 as well?

More signal losses on rtsp. Here is the ticket ID for the logfile: 82819

Another log file with RTSP timeout errors in my Blue Iris server. Note that I do not have any motion, person or sound detection enabled on this camera. Log Ticket ID 82979

For me Blue Iris always reestablishes the rtsp connection without manual intervention and without the need to restart the camera. I do see many drop and restarts, howeverā€¦over 25 per day.

My regular Wyze firmware, Wyze app, and TinyCam all time out WAY more often than that, and very often can not recover.

1 Like

RTSP for me has been a bust for me on Wyze unfortunately. I have a mix of older and more recent V2 cams, most of them took the firmware, but there are some that stubbornly refuse to take it. Iā€™m using Zone Minder so that I can incorporate feeds into my Home Assistant setup (, if Wyze could figure out a Home Assistant integration, I would gladly pay for cam plus), as HA is my way of consolidating all of my home automation apps into one place. For the cams that work with RTSP, I barely can get a frame out of them, which seems odd given I can connect over 4G LTE with no WiFi on my phone and pull down streams from the cams via Wyze in realtime without any issue. If Iā€™m on the same network with either my phone or a computer either via Zone Minder, or direct using VLC, it chokes. Iā€™m running on an ax wifi mesh that I have no issues with deadzones or throughput, this issue seems to be particular to running RTSP. I figured I would kit my home perimeter out with Wyze cams for RTSP and see how things went, given the price point, it was hard not to justify experimenting at least. But, defeats my purpose of having a fully integrated home automation platform if RTSP doesnā€™t work good enough, so it looks like Iā€™ll be writing this off as a failed experiment and looking for something (probably more expensive, but) more reliable.

Have any of you been forced to flash using an 8GB card? Where a 32GB card would not work for flashing to RTSP?

I havenā€™t tried an 8GB card (not sure I have any that small TBH), but 32GB worked for most of my devices. Maybe the ones that didnā€™t work needed a smaller card. I would say the only discernable difference between the two cameras were the labels had slightly different fonts on them, they both had the same model numbers and FCC IDs on them, theyā€™re all v2 cams but itā€™s the newer cams that havenā€™t wanted to take the firmware update in my instance.

1 Like

If you donā€™t have a smaller card, use your computer to format it with a smaller FAT32 partition. You can make it any size you want and then it might work in the camera.

The only reason I asked was that I saw another poster say he couldnā€™t get 32gb to work. I have a 32 in my v2 cam now, but havenā€™t tried to flash RTSP yet.

I went to the 4.x.6.199 version on my v2 cam and then looked through all the options. I couldnā€™t find a way to turn off cam plus. I also searched my services in the app and I only have person detection enabled. I disabled it for this cam while on v.x.6.199. Flipped back to 4.28.4.50. Iā€™m still seeing the same behavior that after an I pull a stream with ffmpeg and close the connection, but data is still trying to come from the camera to my router as udp packets. If I attempt to pull another ffmpeg stream, then a new stream is started and never stopped. With automation, new streams are continuously created and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a breaking point of too many streams when the camera just needs to be restarted to get things working again. I have now flipped person detection back on for now and am continuing to run 4.28.4.50 but restarting the camera frequently so I can still use it for now.

If you go back to 6.199 version, you can turn on/off CamPlus from Account ā†’ Services ā†’ CamPlus.

Over the holiday time, we made one RTSP version with CamPlus turned off which means you donā€™t need to flash to 6.199 version to set it. As expected, the new 4.28.4.51 and 4.29.4.51 version will NOT support CamPlus.

v2: https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/rtsp/demo_4.28.4.51.bin
Pan: https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/rtsp/demo_4.29.4.51.bin

Let us know if that improves the stability.

3 Likes

Even with this version(4.28.4.51), Iā€™m still seeing the same behavior where the streams are not closing down after I disconnect my ffmpeg capture.

BI 4 or BI 5? I am unable to keep them running on 4. Tried the VLC hack via Task Scheduler, no joy.

I use BI 5, with some dropouts but it always reconnects. I do not have BI configured as a WYZE camera, but a generic rtsp camera. I could not get the WYZE camera type in BI to work.

Thanks, Iā€™ll try the cam type, but likely just end up upgrading. Iā€™ve been waiting for a compelling reason.