New Router suggestions

Hello, need suggestions for a new router or suggestions for wireless…maybe Mesh? I need the largest coverage area that will go thru walls and can hold 30 products with 2.4 and 5 ghz.
We are not really gamers have a x box, direct tv, amazon and netflix with 8 cameras.

SUGGESTIONS?
Thanks

I won’t mention a particular model. I do suggest that you indicate your comfort level with tinkering with electronic devices, whether you’re the hobbyist type or you want something that’s plug and play (or plug and pray). Routers roughly fall between these two extremes.

1 Like

Non-technical: Probably want one of the new Mesh Systems.
Technical: I would go with prosumer or SOHO devices with a record for reliability and configuration within your knowledge limits. Though most have web based UIs these days.

1 Like

If you are into home automation (or think you might be in the future), consider getting a router that is IFTTT compatible.

1 Like

Thank you everyone . I am the plug and pray! Has anyone heard of the eero system? My cable company recommends that.? I was hoping to go with the new mesh system if that is easy to use. Recommendations for a easy to install mesh system?

Eero has some good reviews and just released an updated version. I believe it requires an annual subscription to update the firmware. Plus they were recently purchased by Amazon so keep that in mind.

As for installing, it should be pretty much plug and play.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I replaced my NetGear R7000 with an Amplifi HD (with 2 mesh points), and have been extremely happy with it.

1 Like

Thanks would this be strong enough to go through walls to get outside? Also easy for me…computer challenged to install?

I have the router and one of the mesh points in my bedroom, and the other mesh point is in my barn outside the house. Please keep mind the main router is inside my house close to a window, and I have the mesh point just inside a window on the barn. I’m pretty sure if I had placed the mesh point behind one of the metal walls in the barn, I wouldn’t have that good a signal to it. Setting up the system wasn’t difficult for me, but I do have some IT experience. I think my wife could have set it up in just a basic configuration, but I customized mine to my needs.They have pretty good documentation on their site if you are curious. I don’t know how much area you have to cover, so you might be okay with buying the router initially, and then adding mesh points as you need them. They have several different options available, including the Amplifi Instant system, which I have no experience with.

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us

I have no experience with their AmpliFi line but I’ve been extremely happy with my UniFi long-range AP. Easily 50% more coverage than my previous router alone.

1 Like