Wyze Thermostat - Smart home heating & cooling

I found this article from an HVAC company, and it explains very well how to properly set a whole-house humidifier in the window. The most important point is the third paragraph, " Setting the Indoor Humidity".

1 Like

I’m a bit sensitive to the topic because I’m in HVAC and have experience with MANY different connected thermostats. My suggestion is that any thermostat should be using Z-Wave protocol. Most residential components use that. I’m not sure if Wyze products do but I suspect so.

I would suggest to the Wyze team to focus on the Trane TZONE1050 and 824 thermostat. So far, better than anything Honeywell, Nest or Ecobee has out there in my experience, and where I work, we sell all of them as a distributor. I do technical support for them. To dealers only! No end users. Not enough hours in the day for that.

Integration of the Wyze products should be modeled after the Nexia app.

1 Like

Outdoor temperature tracking is an important feature of any smart thermostat. It should have the option to set a sliding humidity range based an outdoor temperature or choosing to maintain a constant humidity level. Top smart thermostats now incorporate choices between a wired or wireless outdoor sensor or using the local weather service temperature based on zip code.

1 Like

Any new thermostat offering should not use triac switching. That is a problem with NEST thermostats. Triacs are not true switches and are either a high or low resistance rather than an open or closed circuit. That drives some control boards to malfunction. Many a NEST have been condemned because of that issue.

A post was split to a new topic: Thermostat support for Evaporative Cooling (Swamp Cooler)

We would definitely be on board with Wyze developing a Smart Thermostat. Specifically, we are looking for reliable smart thermostats that work with electric baseboard heat and would need to purchase one for each room at our cottage. With not being there a lot in the winter, we need to be able to control indoor temperatures to avoid frozen pipes, etc.

The biggest reason I’d want a Wyze thermostat is the the sensors would be inexpensive. I love my ecobee 4, but the sensors are $78 for a 2-pack. It’s insane. I wouldn’t mind paying $200 or whatever for a Wyze thermostat if you could make $5-10 sensors.

3 Likes

The thermostat market is pretty interesting, but there’s a couple factors that I hope don’t go un-noticed. Many local/regional electric companies are offering rebates or free units to customers as incentive to switch. In Maryland, BGE does both. Pretty substantial rebates if you purchase from them, or they offer free thermostats (Ecobee 3) and summer month discounts for participating in a peak demand energy saving program. The point of all of this, is that low price may be a difficult selling point when free/heavily discounted premium products are being offered. I would assume that the logistics of working with suppliers to participate in these programs are complicated, but I hope Wyze can navigate it.

@kingdave - Yes the Sensor prices on ecobees are ridiculous! it’s literally $2 worth of electronics and a cheap battery in a plastic case,and the older ones are garbage with a short range and bad bettery life.

I suppose this is late in the game.
A differentiating feature of a thermostat would be to have an external thermometer. I don’t care so much about the wireless ones. I’m more interested in wired thermometers. In particular those used in heated floors. Our home has central heat and A/C with a damper (so two thermostats) PLUS we are installing heated flooring in several places. It would be great of have thermostats that can work in all those situations. There are almost no networked thermostats that can connect to a wired thermometer. One example is the nSpire Touch WiFi.

The company also sells integration kits to switch the load of the heating elements BUT there is no accommodation for wired thermometer.
https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/third-party-integration/stand-alone-thermostat

Please consider, Thanks

Hi i would like to see a SMART THERMOSTAT from wyze affordable one, not to pay 200+ for a device from other companies

@UserCustomerGwen I would like to see a Wyze thermostat that works with ductless mini splits as well as regular ducted units. Most smart thermostats can be used on ductless mini splits, but they lose functionality like louver blade control. There should be a huge market for this since mini splits are becoming more popular in the US.

2 Likes

Re: @dsanders460 would like this option as well (12V compatible - my house is a two-wire system and I’d rather not start to complicate the setup)

would be amazing for RV exterior. The Wyze cameras are 5v usb and presumably a normal 12v to USB 2
amp converter available anywhere would work. have to read the amps output on the camera AC to usb block to verify. However an outdoor rated wyze camera that could be hard mounted to RV exterior would be great. The wireless component would be a great value for a trailer when backing up single handed assuming you can monitor the video and operate the vehicle in reverse VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY. I used to have a wireless back up camera on my truck license plate for attaching to the hitch but it was weak signal. if your phone is in access point mode and the cameras were set to connect to it you have a very portable camera system. if you have in RV wireless hooked up to internet or not either with a inverter or 12v directly same situation your phone and the cameras hook to the in-RV wireless and bobs your uncle. Now a smart guy would name the wireless access the same so the cameras would connect either way to phone, RV, or home when in the driveway. just make the mobile router ssid and your phone ssid the same as your home ssid. your would generally shut off the phone and the RV wireless access point / router when at home anyway always choosing the fastest and most permanent connection. Anyway, the outdoor wyze in a RV exterior mount chassis would be very cool. I even might be worthy to make a chassis and house the internals if so inclined.

There are ways to jump or eliminate the “C” wire if you don’t havre it. And aux heat doesn’t always kick on to heat faster. With ground source if it’s below a certain degree outside the ground source is essentially useless so aux kicks on.

You might want to check with your energy suppliers. They may offer rebates, so even instantly. I got a $50 instant rebate from my electric supplier and $50 instant rebate from my gas supplier when I purchased the ecobee, so $100 off total instantly.

2 Likes

I had to have my furnace guy come out to check on something else, so I asked him to install the C wire adapter. But it turned out I DID have a C wire. It was just pushed back into the wall from the previous owner I guess. Fished it back out and we got the Ecobee installed. Now I’m just waiting until my gas supplier adds another month’s worth of credits to my rewards program and I’ll order the 2 extra sensors for other rooms in my house. The sensors were a big reason I switched to Ecobee.

I would like it to be able to run baseboard heaters. My wife’s massage room has baseboards and sometimes a client will call and ask if she’s free so she has to hurry and run there to preheat the room. If it had a smart thermostat then she could just do it right then and there. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Seria bueno que puedan hacen un termostato que puedan estar dentro de neveras o congeladores y que ese dispositivo pueda estar enlazado con plug… Ese termostato controlara el apagado y encendido del equipo dependiendo del frio que a sido configurado.

Vote por esto y úselo en combinación con un enchufe Wyze.

1 Like

I would add to include functionality to support geothermal systems.

1 Like