New Bluetooth Hack Could Let Attackers Remotely Unlock Smart Locks and Cars

Hi Wyze,

I hope this is on your radar since it looks like the Wyze Lock uses bluetooth: New Bluetooth Hack Could Let Attackers Remotely Unlock Smart Locks and Cars

I don’t believe this is an issue with the new lock bolt since, although it uses Bluetooth exclusively for remote communication it forces user interaction on a mobile device app in order to authorize unlocks, just like the article indicated was a solution to the risk. Plus, people can always just use it locally (enter the keypad or fingerprint reader).

I haven’t read the full details from the research, but it sounds like if anyone is concerned about this in any way for the original Wyze lock as well, you can be safe by just disabling the auto-unlock feature on the original lock and then nobody can ever open your lock without having to use your account log-in with your mobile device. Problem solved on this one too. I don’t think the auto-unlock is a risk in this case either though, but anyone concerned can certainly disable it just as an added precaution…then you can still access it with the keypad or the app on the phone, which the researchers said makes it not a risk here.

Still, always good for everyone to be careful and aware. I feel fairly safe from this as far as Wyze locks are concerned. I am a little more concerned about car key fobs though. :astonished:

3 Likes

I’m still having the thieves break in with this new door lock. It doesn’t register on the app when they unlock the lock either. Is there a way to block them?