Hope all is well! I have some feedback after about 36hrs on the v220.127.116.11 firmware code for my Wyze Cam Pans…
Briefly, I’ve installed (4) of these at my parents’ house, (3) indoors, and (1) in a protected area of an attached carport - housed in a protective silicone cover. This carport cam monitors the driveway area and front yard facing their mailbox. Reason being, the local USPS carriers have a habit of driving across their yard instead of using the driveway.
This particular cam I’ve had set to record on motion only (32GB Kingston microSD) and its worked very well. Prior to this firmware release, it saw transient motion and recorded dutifully. It always seemed to record appropriately when vehicles (USPS & other) are detected down at the street. Since the update, I get next to nothing in the playback feed. Unfortunately, this update also seems to cause a nasty disconnect behavior when scrolling thru the playback timeline on all cameras.
Another case in point with the same camera & viewing area… it so happened that a mobile car detailing service came onsite to my parents’ place to clean up their truck this morning. As a control test, I trained this camera on the area where this individual had parked his truck as he walked to & from it frequently. The camera detected motion during most of this time and properly recorded & tagged it. However it completely failed to record the detail man walking to his truck and driving off, which was a very blatant motion sequence in prime viewing area.
I’ve experimented hiking up the motion detection sensitivity which gives me lots of shadow play and other false positives as expected. Bottom line is that this update seems to raise to a higher bar what constitutes actual motion based recording during the time surrounding trigger events. v18.104.22.168 seems to be much more reliable and I wish the sequence for backleveling firmware was less cumbersome & risky. These cams were nearly perfect until firmware v22.214.171.124. Full disclosure, I didn’t realize at the time that this was actually a beta firmware release (would’ve been helpful if the prompt underscored this) and most likely wouldn’t have installed it had I realized this after some due diligence… which leads me to this final observation…
Every time I go to update the firmware, the in-line “what’s new” section literally contains nothing or it lists features/changes for the current release already running on the camera in question. I should have held-off and researched a little before installing, but the previous (2) GA firmware updates had been pretty solid so I might’ve been a little complacent.
UPDATE-1 (3/28): I literally have next to zero playback footage since upgrading to this firmware release. Successfully rolled my own cameras back to v126.96.36.199 via the microSD root file copy method. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the firmware “REVERT” function embedded within the “HAVE TROUBLE” area of the firmware upgrade facility. Thanks so much for this! I’ve reverted all of my remote cameras to the .40 code and have verified that playback footage is once again being logged accurately.
UPDATE-2 (3/28): Playback crashes seem to have stopped after reverting to GA firmware (.40) & app (v2.1.31). Chalking this up to possible debug code in either of them.