New ASUS RT-AX3000 Router and Massive Connection Issues

Ok, I upgraded my router a couple of weeks ago and have had major connection issues. I upgraded the router to ASUS RT-AX3000 the router that I had before and had 0 issues with TP-Link AC900.

What is happening Cams, Plugs, Bulbs, etc. keeps dropping in and out of the network and keeps going offline with the cloud symbol in the app. I then have to either go and Hard Restart the device by unplugging and plugging it back in and or if that doesn’t work reset the device and re-add it back in the app. Cams will show connected but when I go to look at the live stream it will sit there and spin and fail to connect or it will work one moment and then 5 mins later go look and it won’t let me connect and go offline and it will randomly rejoin back 5 to 10 min later.

I have read through all the forums and tried all likes of things. Here is a list of all the things I have tried

• Turned off Smart Connect
  • Turned off Airtime Fairness
  • Turned off Multi-User MIMO
  • Turned off WIFI 6 protocols and settings
  • Turned off any Beamforming
  • Turned off MutliBand
  • Tried setting a Control Channel
  • Each device has a static IP assigned to it by MAC Address in the router to make sure there weren’t conflicts in DHCP.
  • Firmware up to date on all devices from what the Wyze app tells me
  • Firmware up to date in the router from what it says.
  • Internet is ATT Fiber 1 Gbps Speeds and is the same internet that I had with the other router.

After doing all of this it has made the connection and reliability haven’t changed. I am not sure if I got a faulty router or what. IT friend I spoke to told me that it’s really rare that would happen and helped me with a lot of the suggestions above and I have lurked through Reddit and these forums and tried what I can find.

Here is a screenshot of my wifi 2.4Ghz settings

Please any help would be appreciated! I am thinking I will need to do an RMA on this router. Is anyone else having issues with their RT-AX routers?

New users only allowed one attachment :unamused:
Here is the other settings for the 2.4Ghz

I can’t remember exactly but I think there was a problem with WMM at one point. Could be worth testing with it off.

Below are my current 2.4GHz wireless settings under the General and Professional tabs for my ASUS RT-AX86U that I setup a couple of weeks ago. Changing the SSID on them all was no fun, but no connectivity issues with any of my six Wyze V2 cams or my outdoor cam. Comcast 1Gbps internet.

Check the router manufacturer’s support forum to see if other users of the same model are experiencing similar issues. You might also use a network analyzer on your smartphone to see if channel one is the best channel to use or if it’s crowded by others in your neighborhood.

I think OP is using Control Channel 3 and I’m at channel 1. I posted my router settings for comparison. You’re right though, it’s always a good idea to run a traffic analyzer from time to time. I use inSSIDer on my PC.

Hi…why is “smart comnect” turned off?

I had issues with the Asus RT-AC88U/AC-3100. I tried Merlin and stock firmware. Found stability with v3.0.0.4.386_41700 of the stock firmware. I also disabled the Enable WMM APSD setting. Now if I can get my Thermostat connected in the app! Hope this helps. Screenshot_20210327-003456|236x500

Devices that aren’t compatible with 5Ghz networks may not work well. It allows you to split one network into two separate bands, one 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz

I understand that. But the router should be able to detect the device frequency and select the right one. That’s why I asked the question.

Best to avoid any channel that is not 1, 6, or 11. Those are the only channels that don’t overlap with other channels on the 2.4 ghz spectrum.
Using channel 3 means you get adjacent channel interference from anyone using channels 1-7. Co channel interference is when you are using the same channel as someone else, and is the least harmful interference - speeds might slow down a bit, but devices will not have issues actually connecting and maintaining a connection. Adjacent channel interference, when you are in a channel that overlaps multiple neighboring channels, like you are when you are in channel 3, is the most harmful interference and will cause significantly more issues with connectivity and speeds.

Edit: oops, meant to reply to the OP.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice!!! I tried everyone’s suggestions and it didn’t make a difference I was still having issues. Yesterday I decided to just do a Factory reset on the router and start over and I shortened the SSID. So far fingers crossed and knock on wood I have been 24 hours with no issues. If it continues for the week I will keep you all posted!
PS: I did notice after the reset and went to make sure the firmware was up to date (which it was) the menus looked different. I am thinking the initial setup was messed up and that’s why I was having issues.

1 Like