Network Attached Storage (NAS)

It doesn’t appear to be entirely difficult to do … GitHub - HclX/WyzeHacks: Hacks I discovered allowing Wyze camera owners to do customizations

1 Like

ChemEng,
Sadly, Wyze and it’s investors do not understand the complexity of how simple Chemung, revenue stream with a hybrid system is.
Let me explain;
First as others have mentioned Wyze could do this with all software as many, many companies do, (the servers can be HP but the software is the money maker in a lot of systems I work with), or brand their own NAS.
Now licensing will cost the user, using a hybrid system less data, saves Wyze, maybe only alerts go to the cloud.
Troubleshooting, Wyze could have, would have access to the NAS and be able to look at logs.
Now for the customers the advantages are massive.
No loss of access to your equipment if your network and isp are up and running, (if AWS are down or Wyze is no problem).
All firmware updates go to the NAS. From there you launch your updates, or have it do it automatically. (The downloads can be doubled checked by the NAS to verify the files are not corrupt).

So this is a win, win and major win for Wyze. How?
Customers win,have redundancy and as long as the customers equipment and isp are working everything is working.
Wyze win, a revenue stream several ways, first the license for the NAS. Second having tiers that the customer can purchase, 1-5 cameras, 6-10 & 10+ for all the options Wyze wants. (In my case I do not have any reoccurring fees but if something like this was available I would).
Now the major win and it is for…
Wyze & the Customer;
This system would change home monitoring / security and shake up things a lot.

Maybe I just do not understand the big picture. I wish Wyze would explain.
In my home I have invission a set up like this with a second router for my Wyze it network.

1 Like

I’m not interested in anything that requires a subscription. I don’t have a high risk environment, I don’t need redundancy. I don’t need another NAS. I don’t use cam+ because I don’t need hours of videos of the tree shadows triggering motion. But mostly I also don’t like being reliant on a cloud service. Recent internet service problems made me realize cloud reliant services have a huge downside. My local network was fine but some functionality stopped. I could view cam live but lost notifications and events from the cam. I guess if I ever need a higher level of security monitoring maybe I should look into an nvr type system that can fully operate locally. I’m not in any huge need right now, but expect our next community may not be as secure. I’m mostly watching this thread for future consideration.

2 Likes

Have you tried ubiquit as a partner?

1 Like

Wyze should create a wifi external hard drive that you can access on the app. Being able to write,view anz edit.from the wyze app and having access to your own personal cloud at a reasonable price wihout using a 3rd party cloud storage. That would be great!!

2 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong on this but don’t all NAS support RTSP? I know QNAP does.

And Wyze does provide a RTSP Firmware: https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

Although I would prefer ONVIF.

1 Like

Please, correct me if I am wrong, when you change your firmware to RTSP, you drastically reduce Wyze’s support and upgrades.
That is the reason wanting a Wyze supported hybrid, cloud / local storage and able to be connected without AWS.

1 Like

My NAS recommendation is ASustor from Asus. It comes with 4 camera License vs Synology with 2 license. They both cost almost same amount for same specification. Asustor is even faster and support rtsp, onvif and specific manufacturers cameras. Moreso, asustor usb port support DVD drive and you can read content of the drive from it. So, I shared my drives and I am able to access them from anywhere. I will actually prefer asustor to synology and qnap and I have owned them in the past but sold them after I bought and used asustor nas. If you need 1 camera license for synology nas, let me know.

1 Like

The QNAP comes standard with 2 or 4 licenses depending on the Model.

Mine (TS-453D) includes 4 free licenses

Never looked at Asustor but prefer QNAP to Synology,

Gotcha. All asustor is 4 free cam license. My asustor is for 140dollar with 4 license for free. Before qnap gives free 4 license, it will be high end device and would cost more. No one knows about asustor including me but I risked it with Amazon hoping to return it if it didn’t work as expected. I was surprised. You may like asustor better. I had qnap and synology but I ended up liking asustor best.

I believe a s u s t o r is actually Asus or an offshoot of Asus. I went with analogy back in the day because they have the best updates and the best security that I can tell but they have awful and I mean god-awful tech support who completely treated me like garbage for trying to get support. I’ve been thinking about replacing my Synology with either qnap or Asus but I’m used to the platform I’m using or I might build an own cloud or something or nextcloud

Two friends of mine changed from Synology to QNAP and haven’t regretted it.

If you ever decide to go for QNAP go for the lowest memory version and install it yourself. Reduces the price significantly.

I went for the low version and upgraded to 16GB which is twice what you could buy. Speeds the whole thing up considerably.

N.B. Synology does not allow you to use 3rd Party Memory.

With iCloud and Google drive’s ballooning costs for data backups, a self-hosted backup server with the option to plug and play external SSDs could be a great product. This could also potentially store videos ,photos, events from the various wyze camera products, instead of spending on individual SD cards for each.

PS. I know I could do something like this with ownCloud and NAS, but the experience across a variety of devices and IoT isn’t seemless.

I’ve had my own NAS for a very long time, before that I had an old pc running Linux as a samba server. I don’t have high level needs. I’d simply like the option to point the cam storage location to my current NAS. That’s all I really need. I can access it remotely if desired. From what I read on most posts, it seems there is more desire for a NVR type device. In my mind a NAS is simply network attached storage - a place to store data. An NVR has more ability than just storage which is what wyze should consider. However the subscription model is more profitable so it’s unlikely they’ll do anything else. At least until people get fed up being subscription overloaded and stop paying.

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation. My NAS is already up and running. I can access it through normal protocols like Samba and FTP. I don’t need anything more than that. I just want my Wyze cameras to write to my NAS instead of (or on top of) the SD card.

The benefit is an almost infinite capacity and the NAS is in a secure place, so if anyone comes in and steal/destroys the camera (and the included SD card), I’m SOL, but if his face is on my NAS, I got everything needed for a police report.

4 Likes

exactly

The reason I stress hybrid is I know Wyze will want their cut. It could be your own NAS with a software "key " and I am good with that also.
It would change the industry for the better.

3 Likes

This is what I have been asking for ever since I bought my first Wyze Cam

Wyze really has some great customers. I love how not only are we coming up with product solutions but we are also coming up with revenue streams that we, the customer, would be happy to pay. :slight_smile:

NAS Model:
Synology DS920+

Would RTSP work:
Yep, using the Synology surveillance station software Surveillance Station | Synology Inc.

2 Likes