Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Ditto…

Many NAS systems run Linux these days, making them very flexible in their capabilities. They may either come with proprietry NVR software or allow you to install any third party NVR software, enabling them to function as a dedicated NVR if the user wishes. You’re probably thinking about cheaper NAS hardware that pretty much only serves files and media.

Ya, guess so. Mine is pretty old. It does run some version of Linux but it’s hidden behind the ui and I’ve never really tried to break in to see behind the scenes. I’ve been happy with it as a file server and personal cloud device since it has been reliable, easy to admin and takes up a lot less space than my old tower PC I had setup as a samba server. Guess if I had a more current NAS, I’d be more up on the options.

I would prefer also if Wyze would develop a NVR, one that will host the Sense Bridge and web interface for monitoring and configuring the cameras and sensors, more of will function as a Hub also (two birds in one stone). I think it would not hit only 2 birds, since that would also satisfied quite a lot of #wishlist here on the forum.

2 Likes

@ChemEngr
ditto ditto
with a dash of @Kaloy’s remarks

2 Likes

Definitely. Wyze should seriously be thinking of upping the ante in the market by developing a hub/NAS/NVR combo device - definitely more complicated and costly to develop, but other’s are moving into the market - someone posted a link to a Camect device that’s on indiegogo I think - works with wyze cams and a bunch of others as long as they support rtsp or onvif I believe, only took a quick look - sounded interesting. The good thing for tech, and Wyze, first to market is not always the winner in the end.

What is the primary benefit of Onvif over RTSP? I never saw a clear answer anywhere?

I got no idea. I’ve not yet delved into video streaming at any level. I will eventually. I just think that’s what the camect info said about what it supports. So not clear if wyze uses onvif and is compatible out of the box, or if the rtsp firmware would be required. At this point I’m not going to pre order a camect since I’m not in any hurry.

1 Like

RTSP is cool, but simply dumping the video on a samba share would be easy enough. Just mount a share at the same time as /dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted and dump the bytes at the same time. Or just dump the 12 seconds clips when motion is detected, at least it’ll work in case of internet outage.

ftp would also be an easy/good option, and it would work on both NAS and a remote server.

RTSP is a good idea, and it should be implemented, but buying a synology box that can easily cost 1000$+ as a side equipment to 20$ cameras is a bit of a stretch imo, compared to a cheap 200$ WD MyCloud.

2 Likes

I use OpenMediaVault (OMV) as my NAS, Samba/CIFS/NFS is probably preferred.

Is there any updates on Wyze cams and NAS situation?

No, not at this point. Thanks for checking!

3 Likes

I think a Wyze NAS would me really useful! Especially since they are releasing an Outdoor Camera soon. Wyze please look into this. A Network Attached Storage option would be good to have.

Because the camera saves video in 1 minute increments, a simple FTP server in the camera itself would be enough. Another computer could poll for updates from time to time to keep things synchronized.

2 Likes

Typically, commercial NAS don’t have any feature like that. You would need to keep a computer turned on and program an ftp client yourself, which is fine for about 0.1% of the population. Every NAS offer samba, so it’s a readily available service for anyone with the few bucks it costs to buy one.

If someone insisted on ftp, the best would be to implement an ftp client in the camera, not a server. The client could upload its one-minute clip to an ftp server. Most NAS have ftp servers, and if a remote storage is preferred, most solutions will offer an ftp server, not a client that polls periodically.

Any updates on this?
SMB is way better than RTSP as anyone with a NAS can use it. its also easy to setup on a windows or linux box.
I have a few wyze cams, but with no support for saving to MY OWN private NAS, not relying on an internet connection, I had to start using another brand for most of my stuff so I can save video other than on the SD & keep it secure, meaning I can not have it sent off site.

1 Like

No updates at this time. Thanks for checking!

Are you guys considers this though?

We had been working on a method but that fell through. We are still open to this and have been looking into methods but I don’t know when/if this will be a thing.

Don’t forget to check the tag on a Wishlist topic! This one is set to “researching.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like