Neighbor's Ring Camera Flashes IR Light Every 14 minutes

My Cam2 has the Night Vision mode set to auto and my neighbors across the street just setup a Ring camera at their front door. I’m guessing the Ring has some sort of auto wake/sleep feature because it keeps sending out an IR flash every 14 minutes that my camera picks up and records. Now every night I get nothing but a bunch of recordings of their camera flashing. I would hate to turn off the Night Vision mode, but at this point I don’t think I have any other option.

Rather than turning off NV mode, could you create a detection zone to exclude your neighbor’s Ring cam?

2 Likes

The ring devices got an update to where they can take a photo every so many minutes between motion events. Your neighbor probably has that enabled.

1 Like

It’s kind of telling that we all have so many cameras deployed that they are actually starting to interfere with each other. I have seen several similar stories.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s all I can think of to do.

Ha! I guess the more the merrier. Hopefully, at least one of us will capture some video if something happens in the middle of the night.

1 Like

This can be tricky, but I used this once when Beta testing a product. I kept getting constant false alerts from one spot across the street. I wound up cutting a tiny piece of electrical tape and placing it on my camera lens exactly where the source was across the street. Gave me a blind spot there but it was small enough not to be an issue and it stopped the false alerts.
As I said, tricky and took some time, but it worked.

4 Likes

I like that solution, but it would only work if I lived alone, so that I could keep my camera perfectly positioned; as it stands, my cameras all sit on window sills and someone is always messing with the blinds/windows. Ha!

1 Like

True. My situation was with a fixed-mount cam.
I have used Velcro to mount cams and sensors though. It works pretty well and it comes off fairly easily. Even stronger mount made to come off without damage is Command Strips. You could mount your base to the sill and put a strip of tape on the swivel on the bottom on the cam. Hinged part of base can be almost locked by the screw there. Won’t stop a serious effort but should freeze it against bumps.
If you really want to…

1 Like