Just got the vacuum delivered last weekend and tried it for two days now. Some early thoughts about this product. Note I had a Roborock S5 Max model so this is something I will be unavoidably comparing to from time to time.
- Nothing can beat the price! A robot vacuum with LIDAR and mapping for <$200 (tax and shipping included)? You must be kidding me!
- Adding it to the Wyze app is smooth.
- Get the work done as expected after some initial struggles.
- Extra side brush and filter included in the package.
- Noise level is ok.
- The charging dock design is bad. It is unreliable and the robot has difficulty docking back to the charger on carpet every single time. Everytime it has to try multiple times before docking back successfully. The Roborock design is much better with the charging contact on the bottom. It is weird that the robot has charging contacts on the back so it has to turn around before docking and retrying took a lot of works because it will have to turn around multiple times. But at the minimum I think Wyze can try to fix from the software side by having the robot to move closer to the dock before turning around for contact.
- It had constant connection problem at the beginning, but it seems that the problem was resolved after upgrading to the new firmware.
- The initial mapping is very inefficient and it kept jumping back and forth between different rooms. It had to do a charge in between to finish up the mapping. And if it failed to dock more than 3 times when trying to charge the map will be eliminated and had to start over again!
- It is very easy get trapped under low furniture. The robot can tilt when moving and it doesn’t detect the height of furniture bottom properly when going in. I hope that Wyze can fix their software so that the LIDAR can be used to detect the height. Right now I have to put in virtual wall to make sure the robot doesn’t get trapped into those places again.
- There is no way to customize the room division. Not a big problem for me because it actually divided my rooms into smaller pieces but I can image it could create problem for other people if it merge rooms into one bigger room by mistake.
- The lights (home button and power button) on the robot are too bright at night. I put the dock in my bedroom so it bothers my sleep. I had to put something to cover it at night.
I understand that this is a new product so it is not perfect, but I am hoping that Wyze can help to fix or mitigate the problems as soon as they can by new firmware update. BTW I have been a loycal Wyze customer for 1.5 year and I have >10 Wyze cameras at home and a bunch of other products too!