My modified and improved mailbox mail notifier

Several weeks back, I installed an open/close sensor on my mailbox. The sensor was installed under the mailbox and it was working great. But it wasn’t waterproof. I decided to do this another way.
I ordered an enclosure that comes with a gasket and bolted it to the side of the mailbox. I ordered a magnet reed switch assembly and installed that where the old sensor was. I used an Ecolink 2.5 sensor for a couple reasons.

1. It’s Z-Wave Plus, which has better battery life and greater range.
  2. It has dry contact connections to use with a magnetic switch.
    I wired the magnet to “COM”, and “NO”. When the door opens, the notifier flag arm goes up, opening the magnetic switch.
    I did it like this, so there would be no interference with packages being placed in the mailbox. I think it turned out nice and it looks professional.
    I did this a couple weeks ago, and it’s worked every time.
    Alexa and text message: “You’ve got mail…!”

![20200223_164336_resized|666x500]
(upload://xMrHjU1w9jfsvQqEpFGgOSRRKyP.jpeg)

2 Likes

This is great if the mailbox is close to your network. My issue is that our community USPS mailbox is about 400’ away from my house. That’s a real bummer when you walk all the way to the mailbox and back again only to find out the mail carrier hasn’t delivered the daily mail yet. I need some technology that can send notifications that far away.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Another issue is that community mailboxes are typically all metal, which isn’t RF-friendly.

You might want to look into signing up for USPS Informed Delivery, which allows you to see if there is anything worth going to the mailbox for.

1 Like

Yes, USPS Informed Delivery is awesome. It’s just frustrating when you see your mail/packages that are coming to your mailbox today, but then you don’t know “exactly” when your mail is delivered. Sometimes we get our mail delivered by 09:00. Today, I checked twice because I was expecting some exciting packages, but the mail didn’t get delivered until 18:30. That’s a “frustrating” window. Guess I should have bought a house closer to the mailboxes (LOL).

1 Like