My cams are useless

You may not like my answer, but it’s reality. It would be no different than [Mod Edit] complaining that the latest version of AutoCAD won’t run on a Windows XP based desktop.
Update your phone’s Android OS to something at least close to current. Quite certain that there is LOTS of other apps that won’t run on Android OS 6 (I can name a few).

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

It is indeed an Awesome Solution.
Get with the times, and get a newer Android

Somewhat true about AutoCAD … at least you will still have a working solution with your older AutoCAD version and a Windows XP desktop. With Wyze, you will soon NOT have a working solution!

1 Like

Well the requirement to change was made 8 MONTHS ago :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My car will only go 40 Mph on the highway. The engine is worn out. Let’s blame it on the gas pump, not my hooptie of transportation.

Everyone else is correct. Time to upgrade.

I have an old teletype printer that won’t print BECAUSE IT IS OLD TECHNOLOGY. Same thing. No need to be rude.

3 Likes

I’m sorry no one responded to your previous post:

You don’t throw current tech (your cams) in the trash. You sell or donate your obsolete tech (your phone) and replace with current tech. Samsung discontinued your phone model 4 years ago and declared it “obsolete”, hence no further updates. Your phone carrier followed suit only providing critical carrier-related patches. Since your phone can’t be upgraded to Android 7 for numerous reasons, most importantly security, most app developers, including Wyze, no longer allow their latest software versions to be loaded and run on your phone. As other users have correctly noted, obsolescence is not limited to phones. It is unfortunately something we have to learn to live with in order to use modern technology. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Wow his equipment is way behind in technology and Security, I buy a new Samsung note last year,and have ordered the new nite 22 ultra the specs are great 14GB Ram,512Gb Rom on the model I pre ordered

The Samsung NOTE 22 Ultra has a screen size of 6.9 inches. Reminds me of these: A modern phone

I prefer a screen size less than 4.5 inches … any ideas for a “new” Android phone.

You can get a new iPhone they have a small model we have allways bought the number 1 android when they came out,go to your carrier website site and look at there models

I’ll drop some reality in here for y’all.

Wyze inc. could easily post an APK file on some support page of the last version to support Android 6, or whatever other versions Wyze decided to use as a cutoff to drop support for.

Until the day these products arrive in a package that states an expiry date, NO SUCH DATE EXISTS. and the consumer has every reason to expect the property they buy to continue to work as long as they own it. 1 year, 3 years, 10 years, 25 years. Really it’s none of your or Wyze’ business how long someone wants to keep their own property.

If Wyze Inc. causes someone’s cameras to stop working because of a conscious business decision of their own free volition, they are civilly liable for the damage they cause including the full retail value of replacement cameras.

Look around next time you go into a business and look at their cameras. They’re very often old as cameras are a long term investment, and they are expected to work until they are physically damaged or the owner chooses to upgrade them. Period.

7 Likes

This is my previous phone before I purchased my first smart phone in Sept.2020. And by the way my wife has to get a new phone because Verizon 3G goes away in Dec.2022.

We were notified many times from wyze over the last 26 months looks like you did not know about it, it all falls down to security,technology, the 5G here in the U.S. was fired up last week…and it’s great

1 Like

So you no longer have copper phone lines? I suspect if you did, you could wire this to work. (At least for incoming calls.)

:grin:

I still have this and it works.

1 Like

Did I ever say I didn’t receive their recent messages?

Try this: Write a letter to your local Sheriff’s office warning them that you’re going to be burning down their office in the next 26 months. Then write them again every month for good measure. Then go do it.

All the “notifications” in the world won’t alleviate you of the consequences of your actions. And you know that.

Not once did Wyze obtain my permission. Nor that of gabpsy. And I’m going to go out on a limb and say just about zero people gave their permission to de-activate or disable hardware that Wyze doesn’t own.

There is a world of difference between notice and consent. And you’re skimming right over it. You and someone at Wyze have their head in the sand regarding property rights.

The only form of notice that would suffice as consent is clear product marking/advertisement BEFORE THE TIME OF PURCHASE. And that is all I ask.

Label it (Works until 2026) or whenever you think is appropriate balance between making your product valuable, and reserving for yourself the convenience of not supporting old platforms.

It worked on Android 6 WHEN HE BOUGHT IT. WHEN THE TRANSACTION OCCURRED. So that was the terms of the transaction. If Wyze is voiding those terms now, they need to issue a prepaid return shipping label and a refund.

3 Likes

@WildBill Yes I have good copper phone lines. I save this one which I can plug into the phone box outside if the power goes out for the regular house phone. Also check to see if a line problem is in the house or coming in. I’ve used it twice in the last 25 years.

So should I ask Verizon for a refund for my wife’s antique cell phone because they did not tell me 3G was going away in December 2022 when I purchase the phone ages ago?

2 Likes

That depends. When you bought it, did they tell you that “it would stop working” in 2022 or earlier?

If the app along the cams were working fine for over 2 years… Why wouldn’t you keep a compatible app version? Is that simple. Don’t give me the firmware stuff, because the hardware doesn’t need it. You just want to keep the control over hardware you selling.

2 Likes

I bought it in 2012, there was no “Best used by date” :upside_down_face:

1 Like

…Then you’ve been wronged… Someone has injured your ability to use your property. Whether Verizon is liable for that injury, or the FCC, or someone else is hard to say, but whoever it is morally, legally, and ethically, owes you another phone.

I didn’t ask when you bought it because that’s not relevant.

If you bought a house in 1925 with knob and tube wiring, you could walk in today and plug in your super modern phone’s charger right in btw. It is hyperbole to say because something is “old” you should expect it stops working or is no longer compatible.

Go to a car show sometime and look at the cars from the 1960’s or earlier that might not even have seat belts, and guess what… they still drive on the road just fine.

The airplanes we fly in today are easily 20-30-40 years old and guess what, the airports can’t just say no to planes older than 8 years “b cuz, old stuff is old yo”.

Plenty of products through out the history of man have lasted decades or more unless physically damaged. And it was not until the boom of IoT and “cloud dependency” that all the sudden we’re supposed to expect our belongings become valueless waste after a few years.

This trend is not normal. It’s not okay. It’s destructive to nature, and a violation of property rights and people need to be held accountable. It’s something I speak with my legislators about and I’d encourage anyone reading this in the future to do the same.

If we can compel companies to warn us that eating a WyzeCam could result in cancer (calif prop 65) then we can by god have mandatory expiry dates , and civil or criminal penalties for violating them, or for violating property rights when there is no label. It should take the form and commonality of ‘BEST BY’ labels we see on all food and medicine for instance.

ALL cloud-dependent electronics MUST be labeled pre-sale with a good-thru date, until which time the manufacturer will take no action to prevent its use in the condition or at the feature level at which it was purchased.

3 Likes