Multiple WiFi Networks

To whom it may concern. I have access to 2 WiFi networks. The app should be able to switch between them both effortlessly. It’s is a massive hassle to have to redo the start up process again, just to redo the WiFi network.

Please fix this.

1 Like

Clarification please -
I’ve used the app on several networks seamlessly.
Do you mean the DEVICE (camera, sensor, bulb, etc.) should be able to switch between networks? With different SSID’s, passwords, etc,?

There is no way to easily switch networks… However last night, I was able to set up one camera on one network, and the other camera on my hotspot. But I had to delete and re-add both devices. So, since the devices themselves have no memory, I do mean the app… The app has saved the network info, but there is no clear way to switch networks without deleting and re-adding the devices

J. Garcia

My understanding is that the cam goes by the network name and verifies it’s a 2.4 when connecting and will only maintain one set of that data at a time. I’ve never seen any way to store multiple connection options . You can switch a device between networks but it does require reinstalling on the new network.

Yes, and that is time consuming and redundant. Why can we not simply switch the network like we can with our cell phone? This would stream line it alot.

We all know you can’t change networks easily but why are you wanting to? Tell us why you need to change networks so often and we can troubleshoot that instead.

2 Likes

I travel from my home to my work station. I stay at work for up to 5 days. While I’m at work, I use my hotspot. While at home, I’d like to switch to my home network.

You can vote for this feature on the Wishlist. I posted a new wishlist request that was a little more comprehensive than just changing SSIDs, but it was similar enough to be merged with the change SSID request:

1 Like

And you take your Wyze cam with you to work? You didn’t specify. Why not spend $20 on another Wyze cam to have one at work and another at home? Seems an easy solution.

So you’re saying I can connect one cam to my home network, and have another camera on another network at the same time with the same account?

I haven’t tested that yet, but I don’t see why. When setting up your cam you select the WiFi you want it to connect to. I don’t see how this couldn’t work.

YES!!
At times I’ve cams on 3 networks. You just need to remember that you can only run time lapse on local network.

I wanted to jump in on this older thread in case anyone is still reading it.

Are Wyze devices unable to function in an environment where there are multiple WAPs with the same ssid? That is what I am being told by support for why my bulbs and plugs often fall off WiFi and won’t come back until randomly sometimes they will or have to be deleted and re-added.

Did I miss a memo somewhere? Every device I own (EXCEPT WYZE PLUGS AND BULBS) has no problem with my home where I have wifi coverage from multiple hardwired WAPs - NOT A MESH SYSTEM.

This has been a problem since day 1 and I keep trying to troubleshoot it with support and previously support just blew me off with weird theories like my upsteam bandwidth (10mbps) not being adequate but today I was told that because I have multiple WAPs with the same SSiD that is why my plugs and bulbs are unreliable.

Am I taking crazy pills!?

I can’t speak for wyze, or get into a super detailed network architecture discussion, but my first troubleshooting thought is… do your WAPs have the same security type, and password?

Are they in bridge mode? Assuming your router is handing out DHCP and the gateway?

Probably things you have looked into, but my first inference as I stumbled across this post.

Yeah my WAPs are all running the same ssid and auth settings. Every other device in my home works fine - it is just Wyze plugs and bulbs that are entirely unreliable. My WAPs are just WAPs. Router handles DHCP. Even tried giving out DHCP reservations to Wyze devices but plugs and bulbs still remained unreliable.

Well that about extends my help, sorry the old networking knowledge is hard to dust off been out of the game a long time… and this may be totally off but could they be hoping from one WAP to another if the signal strength randomly goes higher from one WAP to another? I feel like I have answered this in my head as a no… that would have to be managed at the device level? and it’s only happening to plugs and bulbs… any chance you could bring down one of the waps and monitor for the instability? If anything it could narrow down the problem to device vs. network?

Sorry brother, I wish I could be of more assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.