Multiple Users' Permissions for Shared Users

Really? Arlo?

I’ve seen Blink and Ring reviews indicating the Wyze usecase - one camera, one account for one user with one set of, er, “settings”. I own and use MyQ system for garage door openers which is quite nicely stacked for usecases like owner, guest, delivery guy, and other. Camera is twice the price of Wyze. (The Wyze garage system is not compatible with the opener/motor for my garage door, let alone giving up the various levels of usecase)

Perhaps it would be useful for those of us that have direct experience with the Wyze and competitors systems to build a table of comparisons?

I would like to note that as a spouse myself. Please please please add the features this huge thread is requesting. I shouldnt have to “share” an account with my husband. I bought some of the devices, i am a grown adult, i have my own needs in regards to these devices. It isnt just the cameras. I can only turn off or off the rotob vacuum, i can’t tell it to just go into the livingroom and vacuum like my husband can. When my dog has a seizure i have to ask my husband to pull the sd card video so i can time how long her seizure was. I truly feel like at this point there is absolutely no reason the three tier level system or something when it comes to permissions doesnt already exist. Its been years and there are even new products. Every company has constraints, but the sheer size of this thread should be an indication for the company that this matters to its clients/customers. Wyze would probably be even more successful if this massively important issue for its users was properly addressed and resolved. And i am politely saying this as not only a user that questions my use of this product because of this unnecessary hinderence, but as someone who does advise company’s for a living. The customer isnt always right. However in this instance the customers using your product are telling you how they want to be using your product, and if feels like Wyze isnt listening. And there doesnt seem to be a reasonable excuse why.

2 Likes

Agreed. My finace and I are setting up our newly acquired devices all over our house, and some had to be set up on his phone, and it’s really rather frustrating that I’m getting a watered down version of what the device is capable of, particularly our video doorbell pro.

Great point.

Let’s get beyond even separate permissions for each user. The hardest part for me is just the inability to have two users share administration and turn things on and off. “Sharing” is not actually sharing the account with full features. All it allows is a partial feature set, like monitoring, but it doesn’t share the entire account’s access as co-owners. While this might have been thought of as a good idea just as a very basic home security system, the Wyze ecosystem has evolved far beyond this and having joint admins without requiring each to login using the same email (and to make payments for additional features) is essential and should be an easier addition.

1 Like

I agree with how the suggestion here is not a fix or a solution, but a workaround. I’ve been ok with it for a couple years now, but, now that MFA is required on all accounts, it’s WAY more inconvenient to be sharing accounts. Please ACTUALLY prioritize this and give us a real solution!

2 Likes

MFA is not permanently required on all accounts, you will be able to opt out.

2 Likes

Given that this is a security system, it’s not a great workaround to reduce account security because you can’t have husband and wife sharing administration of the home security!

In theory, it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to have a superadmin grant admin access to another who can do more than play voyeur.

enable each user with device access to maintain different push notification settings

I would like to have ability for each user with device access to maintain different push notification settings.

By each user i mean both the admin of the device, the one who initially set it up, and all the household users it has been shared with.

Case in point, the video doorbell. Some admin and shared with users might want to get detects motion push notifications while others may not and only care to see doorbell button push notifications. Others may not want push notifications for either and instead just have access to event history and live doorbell video/audio feed experiences.

See this thread where this ask comes up at the end Wyze video doorbell push notifications only for doorbell ring - Cameras - Wyze Forum (wyzecam.com).

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please note that the scope of this wishlist topic is not limited to the 1st post. This wishlist topic serves as a collection of users’ ideas and use-cases for Wyze to consider when implementing the requested change as indicated by the title and supplemented with replies (ideas and use-cases). Consolidating ideas and use-cases into a single topic helps Wyze employees be more efficient and increases the chance of implementing this change request.

2 Likes

Common, I really need this feature for so many reasons.

Right not my parents are out of town with no internet access and I don’t get notifications when someone is at the door because my phone is logged into my account and their doorbell is shared with me which means I can see the video but I can’t get notifications. That’s really useless.

3 Likes

I set up some v3’s at my moms house , i created her an account and shared her cameras to my account .

I would really like the ability to submit the correct feedback on her cameras , only she can and she does not review much of the events and it’s driving me crazy . She gets a lot of false positives and I’m dying over not being able to submit the correct feedback !!

1 Like

Amazon offers a competing camera product from another manufacturer at a regular price of $130, but “early Prime” sale brings it down to $90 this week (October 2022)

The product has an actual OWNERS’ MANUAL. I mean, as distinct from a bunch of webpages where users and techies talk around each other. The PDF version of the owners’ manual is on the Amazon sales item. Page 43 of the camera documents show how a primary camera-owner/user can authorize two levels of “friends”. Friends-with-rights, and friends-without-rights.

Competition is a wonderful incentive, I would think.

I found a partial work around to this problem. It may be a bug that I am able to take advantage of. I deleted my cameras from my account and my wife deleted the shared cameras from her account. I cancelled my Cam Plus. We then registered the cameras under my wife’s account and set up Cam Plus under her account. She shared the cameras to me. It took a while, but she started getting the alerts and I am still getting the alerts, likely because the cameras were originally registered to me. This allows both of us to get the alerts, see the events and even delete the events. The shared user (me) does not have the ability to submit video to Wyze or change the ‘alert area’. So the shared permissions feature is still needed, but at least we are both getting alerts which was a big area of concern.

How about adding “Turn On” = Yes to owner, but No to anyone else?
I found that people were turning cams back on after I’d turned them off for certain reasons when I didn’t want others watching. And one shared person was turning the Wyze cam off at another person’s home without permission to do so.

I had never seen this quote about control-groups before and so I went and looked… FOUR YEARS? (well, nearly)

Oh man, they really put this on the backburner.

I think our only hope now is that Matter Protocol gets adopted by Wyze and let’s them offload some of the user-sharing design work.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen it either, but then that was from 2018, so that’s why. But I was going to put my request in the wish list when I found that, and added to it in hopes they’d see it again.

1 Like

I would like to add to this 4 year old thread/request. My wife and I have been frustrated dozens of times because me sharing the account with her is like I’m sharing a PB&J with her but I’ve licked off all the PB&J. Come on Wyze, it’s time to allow us to share the PB&J…not just the bread.

2 Likes

Control permission of shared cameras

I would like the ability to control what permissions shared users of my camera have. I.e. I don’t want them to be able to turn my cameras on/off, create rules, etc.

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

This topic is four years old and has nearly 1100 votes. Stop pretending the vote makes one scintilla of a difference and get to work.

You have competitors; don’t force our hands.

1 Like

Individual camera alert management on Wyze app.

Hi Wyze team and Wyze friends,

I’m just wondering if anything is in the works to allow users to individually control which events PER CAMERA will alert / notify end users via the Wyze app?

As an example, right now, I have my own cameras, and I have several cameras assigned to other buildings and locations that are also shared with me from other people’s accounts.

It’s unfortunate that I’m unable to select which individual cameras will provide me event based alerts—especially those that I don’t directly control on my account.

It seems that what we need is an intermediate, per user, adjustable filter to select which camera alerts (including shared cameras) will trigger notifications on our phones and tablets, because, otherwise, we’re left with either getting far too many event notifications from a variety of cameras on various accounts, or essentially none at all if we want to avoid the incessant alerts.

Is anything in the works for this?

So if you’re using android, you can install an app called filter box. I just created a rule to block a shared camera using the name of the camera. It filters on the text in the notification. See this link for details.

1 Like