Multiple Users' Permissions for Shared Users

The scale, the exercise wrist band, the ear buds…

I am much more impressed with individual products from Wyze than I am the design of the “system” for their customers.

Oh man. :frowning: Yeah, that makes things more difficult.

At that point, honestly, I’d just install Wyze on a tablet or old phone for lock usage. This has been on the list for a long time and is still listed as “researching” so even if they started implementation I wouldn’t expect this level of sharing to be covered in a first release.

I use an old phone with no phone service and a wifi connection to provide access to a secondary Wyze account.

If that works for you, that’s great. However, that just isn’t practical for many many others……

We’d like answers, and solutions Wyze Management as to why this application cannot be accomplished. But to date, they have not even responded to our questions, let alone come up with a solution. If your creators are such hot shot computer wizards, why haven’t they addressed this?

Just an FYI, this is a community member forum. Wyze Staff occasionally look at these forums.

You could reach out directly to wyze via the Support Page. There, you will also find a phone number for you to contact Wyze Support.

1 Like

I did reach out to Wyze support and asked about this and they directed me to this forum to put in a request and to vote on it so that they can know what people want them to work on. I agree it would be nice to hear from them about progress or if they even care. Especially if they are referring us to the page.

Yeah, isn’t that always the risk of chiming in with a terrible workaround? You know it’s janky and fails in many ways but you figure, “Oh, this guy probably wants solutions and isn’t here to just whinge to people who have absolutely no power whatsoever within the realm of Wyzedom and often complain about the lack of communication themselves so I guess I’ll just make my sad-workaround suggestion in the hopes it provides temporary benefit.” But then folks still get annoyed with you so you learn, maybe it’s not even worth making the suggestion.

Sharing access is a very difficult problem to solve effectively for many use cases beyond what is already provided.

In this case, you may want to make a separate wishlist item request that current sharing system just includes setting up a temporary passcode. If we aren’t going to a massive overhaul in the sharing system then all we can realistically ask for is fixes to the current sharing system. (If the forum mods try to fold that into this request then you can rage against them for such silliness-we aren’t going to see this request developed anytime soon, better to work with what we got)

If I were at your keyboard, that’s probably what I’d do. Chance of success still low but better than waiting for this very difficult request to be filled and hoping the initial implementation includes the specific feature-permission you need.

… and now that there is the ability to make purchases, add credit cards, etc. sharing credentials is not practical or secure. I too would like to share groups (in this case a strip light group) along with the scenes setup therein. Sharing individual devices does not cut it.

Yes!!!

There may be a way to simplify all of this by sharing “rules” that execute with proxy rights from the person that shared. Then it becomes a matter of exposing the needed actions to rules to be able to create rules that allow others trigger a rule that does what is required using the owners authority (sign the rule). This way granular granting of rights is hit with the same stone as sharing the required actions wrapped in the rule. No roles. If you have the button you have the rights to execute it. If I want another person to have different abilities I share a different button. If I want to revoke a capability I delete their share of the button/rule.

This may not address every use canse in this hairball thread but I could be a quick way to knock out a large chunk of them and enable ones not yet foreseen.

Sharing devices would still be there for highly trusted collaborators.

2 Likes

4 years and still no update. This is horrible guys… I am still struggling with this issue. I have multiple homes and I only want people to see certain houses so i will not share my admin main account. This needs to be fixed.

2 Likes

The current options for sharing certain devices to different accounts (even though they have limited access) doesn’t work, I take it? Might help the team to hear why the current sharing fails in your situation.

Sharing permissions

I would like it so when you share to someone you can let them have more features. For example: adjust notifications (like detection sensitivity, detection zone, and what types of notifications), add and remove accessories (just adding would be fine), update software, and stuff like that. I would like it to be customizable for different people and different permissions.

1 Like

How can this possibly still an issue after four years? I want to share a camera, I do not want the person I am sharing to to be able to switch the camera off. Currently that is what happens.

4 Likes

How come WYNZE App does not allow other users to go to settings to add notifications on their device? It seems that only the owner ( the person that setup u the camera) can do this. Is there a way for all other users to be able to set the notifications? Other so such as Google Nest camera.

1 Like

Schedule sharing camera’s?

It would be cool to schedule sharing camera’s. I like to share my cameras with my dad at night time but during the day I don’t want him eavesdropping on me… Is there a way already where I can set this up???

Nope. Wyze has a single default shared user profile with preset and inflexible access settings right now. That is why I’m making all this noise. They are late to the game addressing this issue. But stay tuned. They have little choice but to deal with it and your suggestion should be considered. Their shared user setup needs to be far more functional than it is now.

5 Likes

With release of the add-on “Garage Door controller kit” I consider permissions now the top priority.

Again, the competition (My-Q) already has multiple levels of access, from just seeing the state of the door to control only when on shared local wi-fi to full control from anywhere via cellular internet. Also one-time codes for use cases like Amazon delivering a package. Okay, so many situations a competitor has thought through and coded.

The Wyze camera reads a garage door QR code and confirms the door is visible. AND opens and closes the door. Great. So far. But questions like letting the babysitter “check the noise” and see the closed door, but NOT open it for the boyfriend … or one time anticipated access, or other situations discussed here … hasn’t happened.

One can only HOPE there is a four-year archive of shared-view use cases and code Wyze is readying for release all in one big upgrade package. Probably for another $1.99 per month …

2 Likes

This is a very particular use-case that I might be better addressed outside the Wyze ecosystem. A young-woman with a mind to see her boyfriend is unlikely to be foiled by a locked Wyze garage-door controller (for example, mine just pulled the emergency release and would quietly raise the garage door manually).

But I’m sure Wyze will give your “Anti-Boyfriend Mode” a thorough review. :slight_smile:

This sort of inflexible design, along with the fact that wyze devs have disregarded such a huge issue entirely, may just be the last straw on this camels back.

2 Likes

I am unsure if it has been mentioned, but I feel that the cameras I share with another user, THAT USER should NOT be able to turn cameras on and off.
We need permissions.

3 Likes