Multiple User Geofencing Geolocation (incl. Home Monitoring)

The mobile device app should integrate with the devices onboard location service. This would allow triggers for turning on or off cameras etc without having to use another two parties to do the tagging (e.g., IFTTT and Life360).

The cam should come with an auto arm feature based on the smartphone location. No notifications will be sent when the smartphone user will be in the parameters (say 150 ft) from the camera

2 Likes

Geofencing should not be just for alert notification but also should be for turning on and off the camera which would greatly save spaces on your SD card meaning more room for the intruders videos and would make it easier to find event in the playback section since the camera will be off when you’re at home and it won’t be recording any unnecessary footage of your home while you’re already at home protecting the home.

2 Likes

When I’m home, I don’t need to know that my living room is getting motion events, because I’m sitting right there.

But when I’m away from home, those same motion events would be a cause for alarm and a good reason to call police.

If you look at the ‘August Smart Lock’, it has a nifty feature where, using a combination of GPS positioning and wifi monitoring, it can tell if you are current at HOME or AWAY.

Ideally, I want my Wyze app to be able to tell when I’m HOME and use the HOME notification profile, which, in my case, disables my living room notifications.

And when I leave my house, I want my Wyze app, to be able to tell, from seeing my GPS location exiting the perimeter, that I have left my house and to automatically switch to using the AWAY profile.

Later, when I come back to my house, my Wyze app should be able to tell that I’ve come back home and automatically switch back to my HOME profile.

To support the automatic switching to the AWAY profile might require a mobile data connection. So, for those users to do not have a mobile data connection, add the ability for the user to switch manually to the AWAY profile.

Note that, even without a mobile data connection, the Wyze app should still be able to automatically switch from the AWAY profile to the HOME profile, as the GPS location will point to home and the currently active WIFI network name will match the user’s HOME wifi network name.

7 Likes

I vote for this too! All respectable cameras have a multiple user Geolocation feature native in their app. Shouldn’t be hard to implement. IFTTT is not sufficient: intelligent handling of multiple users does not work natively and requires adding even more extra services.

1 Like

@Loki posted this above in this thread. Maybe that would help you with you are trying to do. :slight_smile:

I think it would be valuable to have Geo fencing to disable notifications when any registered phone is present in the home or location of the cameras. If a phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network then you should have the option to disable notifications automatically

1 Like

It would be handy if thar we just left the house the camera would start recording by itself like the amazon security camera, and when you go home it stops recording.

1 Like

Is there a way to turn off notifications on specific cameras while my phone is connected to my home wifi? If not could this be a future addition?

I know there is a trigger in IFTTT for when you connect to a specific wifi, and there is an action to turn off notifications, but I believe it turns all of the Wyze notifications off and not specific ones.

Would really like to see Camera on/off capabilities (e.g., disable/enable a group of cameras) based on multi-user geofence.

1 Like

There is a way to currently do this using Life360 and IFTTT, it obviously is a work around, but letting you know there is currently a way

Hi. Thanks for the response. I didn’t find a way to turn the cameras on/off using life360/IFTTT, only disable notifications. Is there a way to turn them on/off?

Give me a minute to check

Ok I can’t test it but I just set one up that when I leave home it will turn on a camera, under the IF use life360 and under the THAT use WYZE with option turn on (or off) the device you want on or off

I still really want this feature without going outside of the Wyze ecosystem. I’d like to have the cameras not record or notify when me, my spouse, or both of us are home, and record and notify if we are both out. I used Next/IFTTT for a while to disable notifications, but that integration is dead (or dying at least).

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’ll have to go back and look at that again. Appreciate it. (would be nice if Wyze just added this feature though :grinning: )

As you may know, the Amazon Cloud Cam has a great optional feature which makes turning on and off the app automatic. Once you establish your location, the app establishes a geo-fence around the property. How this works is that your phone is linked to the app, and so that when you enter the zone, your cameras will turn off; and once you leave the perimeter, the cameras turn on.

It is a great feature because it is based on your proximity to the cameras and not based on a specified schedule. This makes it great for people who are not on fixed schedules or for those who do not leave and return at specific times of day, or who are in and out at different intervals during the day.

Alternately, if the cameras can be armed/disarmed in conjunction with the motion sensor, that would be great. But how would the app know if you are coming or going unless you had a geo-fence linked to your phone’s location? Is it possible for someone to design a rule template so this can be done?

Thanks.

I believe you cab do this now through IFTTT using the Life360 app as the trigger. I use it to turn on lights when I arrive, but you can use it to turn off cans, I just let mine run all the time.

Well I’m happy to report that I achieved multi-user geofencing…using IFTTT and my Nest multi-user geofence and the Wyze trigger in IFTTT. NOTE : if you don’t see your cameras in IFTTT, log out /in of the Wyze connection. Thanks @WyzeJasonJ

1 Like