Motion Tracking over shoot its panning

i’m experiencing the issue too. it overshoots and is facing a wall… pointless if i’m away "on an island for a long time’ and want it to keep tracking my family or someone I don’t want in my house. Please let us know you’re working on a fix. - Wilson

What do I know about programming and electrically engineering? But since there is an influx of similar occurrences from users across and we haven’t heard of any update/solution from Wyze, the situation might be more technically complicated than we thought. Would it be the way the motor spins/stops in response to the commands or the motor itself just doesn’t spin/stop in a consistent manner as it should be. I thought that if the root cause is solely due to software bug, it should have been fixed given enough time. If it’s hardware, we might have to wait for the Cam Pan 2.0. But again, what do I know?

My humble and temporarily solution is to situate the Cam Pan at a spot which its 110-120 viewing angle can cover most of the region I wanted to cover without relying on the Motion Tracking. Then use another V2 to cover the blind spot. Eventually (hopefully) if Wyze comes up with a FW update for the Cam Pan, I can always relocate the V2 to cover somewhere else, like inside the shed…

But that’s just me. :slight_smile:

Finally received an email from Wyze today, apparently they are overwhelmed with tickets. They said that firmware version 4.10.1.8 is supposed to reduce the motion tracking overshoot issue. Well, it hasn’t fixed anything with my camera. Seriously Wyze, did you even test the fix before you released it? Because clearly, it didn’t fix anything. I’m so tired of companies releasing products before they’re ready!

I am starting to think if the furnishing scene has anything to do with the debug process. I wouldn’t have doubt that they tested their debug FW prior to releasing it. But since it doesn’t seem to improve the situation from most users but did some in theirs, my question is how many variations of environment they tested this FW in? Like a very messy place (mine?) with many objects in dimensional sight of camera, a very plainly furnished place, and well/poorly lit place? Again, what do I know about programming. But my analogy drawn is humbly based on the ongoing pattern of problem. HW of cameras are all consistent, people’s experiences are consistent, FW being used are consistent, so the only variable is the “picture” being monitored by the camera. Hey, I could be wrong.

1 Like

Mine is doing the same. Really annoying

Ran mine in ‘Motion Tracking’ mode for the first time the other night after I repositioned it against a wall to look inside the room, rather than out the window as it had been. Noticed the problem at night when the IR lights would reflect off the wall and the camera would chase the reflection all the way around to be facing the wall until it resumed scanning, only to get stuck again after a short time.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

The ability to implement software angle stops. IF I could tell the camera, only rotate between say 90 and 180 degrees, don’t go past, there is just wall there, that may fix a lot of these kinds of problems.

Could be separate input fields, or based off the PAN SCAN view settings as the max and min angle rotation.

We should be able to use the waypoints in pan scan mode as the points of view for the motion and range. That way the camera doesn’t go beyond the waypoints you choose and tracks the motions within those fields. Then turn off pan scan if we want and just enable motion tracking and triggering.

1 Like

Wyze claims that they can’t reproduce this issue. How interesting that everyone else is having the problem except them.

Well I’ve had enough of the Cam pan problems and returning them.

Just got my Pan and have the same issue here. Hoping for a firmware update to resolve seeing as im in the UK and its not easy to get them here…

Just adding my raised hand. A very serious problem. Someone needs fix it. But they were some great pix of my wall!

Mine are going back for refund. Wyze has “jumped the shark” and killed my trust. No more un-wyze purchases from me.

Their silence on this problem is…

Fill in the blank. Mine can’t be published.

%#*^%##}^**!!!

Received the following response from Wyze on a Help Ticket I submitted on 7/27

I'm sorry for the delayed response. We've been getting a higher volume of emails lately, and it's taking us a bit longer to reply to everyone. Thank you for your patience!

We’re aware of the issue, but it does seem to be relatively limited in scope. That being the case though, we’re still working on trying to modify the motion tracking algorithm to prevent this from happening at all. While I know the dev team is investigating the issue, I can’t make any guarantees regarding the timeframe for when such a change may get pushed through. As a workaround until then, I highly recommend turning on the camera’s Motion Detection Zone located as an option under the Motion Detection in Alert Settings. With detection zone turned on, the camera will treat this zone as a ‘Home’ position, and return there after 15 seconds once it’s tracked outside of those bounds.

Hopefully this helps, but please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Thanks for posting their reply.

Oddly, I’ve had the motion detection zone set up from the very beginning and the camera still over-pans to face backwards until it resets toward the MDZ area.

So, not sure if their recommendation helps. Still, I’m glad to know they’re working on it. Would be better PR for them to post a similar update reply in this thread so customers aren’t so frustrated about this issue.

??‍♂️??‍♂️?

SOLVED:

I figured out the root cause and fixed my over panning problem. I noticed that every time it overshoots it gets stuck against a shiny object. I have it installed in a corner. On the right wall I had a picture encased in clear plastic and there was a glare on it. On the left wall I had some tiny Christmas trees with shiny bulbs. I figured these things have high contrast and as soon as I took them away all my problems were resolved.

So it appears the motion tracking algorithm is not only looking for movement, it’s also looking for shiny objects (or high contrast objects).

Hope this helps others who have been struggling with this.

Lastly, a feature enhancement request would be to implement a way to have stop points for right and left panning.

Same cold shoulder problem, have the latest firmware. I agree that setting angle/pan scan stops would be a nice stopgap measure.

Wyze, any fixes yet? How about a chime in to let your customers know what you’re doing to correct this debilitating bug?

Same issue here with multiple new, updated cameras.

New to Wyze, and immediately ran into this problem. Anyone figure out how to workaround? Detection zone doesnt help. I was thinking if I could schedule turning off motion tracking on that camera at night it would help (but currently cant schedule that). Or maybe spend an hour monkeying around with the screw so that the “far left” or counterclockwise final position excludes the wall with shiny paint that keeps reflecting the IR?