Motion tagging not showing in alerts

I’m getting alerts but the motion tagging is not showing up in the recorded video so I have no idea what its alerting me too (nothing obvious, guessing its shadows from the trees blowing). I double checked in live video that motion tagging was green on both cameras. Any ideas on how to reset it and get it to show back up? I don’t know if it shows in live video, but could check if needed.

Hello @EmailToad Welcome to the community. Just to make sure I understand you correctly, take a look at the screenshot below. Is the motion tagging turned on here?

Motion Tagging Toggle On/OFF

It is green like in the pic. I assume that means on, correct?

Yes, green is on. If yours is green, it should show motion tagging in the videos.

1 Like

do you by chance have a limited detection zone set?

if all else fails, try the old turn it off and on again and go trigger your camera.

2 Likes

Yes, motion tagging will only show up inside your detection zone.

1 Like

So a few delivery vehicles showed up after I posted this and I’m seeing the motion tagging now. Not sure what wind/breeze/bug was setting it off that wasn’t showing the tag, but oh well. It is working enough. If I keep getting false positives I’ll bump up… bump down? the sensitivity.

Thanks for the replies!

3 Likes

if your getting false positives I would move the detection zone if its something like leaves on a tree or traffic setting it off.

if its being set of by shadows or clouds, adjusting your sensitivity down would be your best bet.

if you are still getting a lot of false positives and dont use person detection I would say go with a Wyze motion sensor ( although I “don’t condone” their use outside as they are not specificity made for it. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi EmailToad

This line from the Wyze help section:

Tagging sensitivity is fixed and not related to the user-determined Event Recording Detection Settings sensitivity.

is key to understanding when you can expect the green box to appear.

The line is distilled from this post I made back in April:

Check it out and let us know if it helps or just muddies the water further. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, motion tagging definitely has a mind of its own. I often see it green tag rain running off my roof without the corresponding camera recording an event. I also see cameras triggering when there is no green box, likely because it was so short an event. In my case, those often are because a windy branch of a tree dropped into my detection zone for a fraction of a second.

The rules for motion tagging are different that those for triggering the camera. It isn’t just a matter of a certain sensitivity – the motion detection sensitivity of my camera that shows a green box for rain running off the roof without triggering the camera is set to 80%. So if motion tagging was fixed at 50%, a more sensitive camera should have recorded an event. Instead I get a fairly constant motion box with no corresponding trigger of the camera.

I don’t know all the rules for motion tagging, but I firmly believe duration of the event is one of them.

2 Likes

Verrry interesting. Thanks, Newshound

In my case it was very consistent (as I described) with people, animals and headlights crossing narrow detection zones on two different cams focused from 30 and 80 feet at night in color illuminated by street lights.

I watched a *-ton of these events and logged a lot of them, troubleshooting detection discrepancies between “cloud-clip” and SD event recording.