Motion Sensors v2 failing - back online and motion detected <1 minute

The motion sensors_v2 keep false triggering with a motion detected <1 minute log throughout the day. Obviously I changed the batteries (twice to be redundant) and now it persists with the sensor enclosed in a container without motion and pointing towards a wall so there is no actual motion… This is my 3rd motion_v2 sensor that it has happened. The first two from delivery in March-April 2021 and the other from warranty replacement in September 2021… It is strange if they are all defective.

Has anyone else experienced the following symptoms:
initially the motion sensor will start acting up by showing the notification: “Sensor name” is back online in the monitoring tab in the app. There is a selection to Check my device which only shows that the sensor is good, battery good, signal good.
After a few times of this over the span of days, then the sensor starts detecting motion in random intervals throughout the entire day/night all with <1 minute motion detected.

The real problem is that twice before I removed the sensors from the “armed” state of my monitoring system they triggered an alarm response which if I could not respond to the Noonlight messages, calls they would have notified the police… Thus I would be liable for any false alarm call which can be costly, plus all the inconvenience of an alarm system that the motion sensors are defective

I am sharing here my experience as i am one of the early adopters of the home security with Noonlight / Wyze Sense Hub. I installed it in May 2021 along with 2 motion sensors_v2 and 5 entry sensors_v2.
The motion sensors v2 keep failing after some time (I think especially if they see more action on a daily basis).
Btw, the Noonlight calls, texts are immediate and very professional, kudos to them!
Any thoughts, comments?

-sensors within the same room of wyze hub, no connection issues of hub to any sensors or wifi.
-batteries all new from factory but also to try with brand new Duracell or freshly charged rechargeable ones,
-there is absolutely no actual motion on my part, no pets, nothing IR detectable, not even robot vacuums, the sensors in the same environment perform great for months before starting to fail and suddenly start triggering the <1minute motion. I f I swap that failing sensor with a new one, immediately there is no detected motion…

2 Likes

I have 3 v2 motion sensors and the issue I have is that they go off ALL the time with no motion. I had to disable them from my AWAY setup because they always go off. They are obviously flawed because all 3 do it to me, without fail. If I set my alarm and no one is home (no pets) the alarm goes off 100% of the time from one of the 3 sensors. I love Wyze but I loathe their alarm and wish I didn’t buy it.

I agree with you that Noonlight is always very professional but I can imagine that they hate Wyze because of those motion sensors.

2 Likes

I have just started the Monitoring service and have 2 motion sensors. On 2 occasions where I left home and set the system to Away, within 15 min, I received calls from noonlight that one of the motion sensor detected motion, and both times it was same sensor. I had to take it out of the list as to not cause a false positive.

Any resolution from WYZE would be appreciated and much needed. We cannot just keep buying new sensors to replace the defective ones. Even though I am full WYZE guy (switches, lights, cams, vacuums, you name it, I have it). I am seriously considering returning the WYZE monitoring service for both of my properties.

2 Likes

I assume that you made sure no pets or something that could trigger the sensor was responsible.
I would suggest to try two things to see if the sensor is faulty:

1. Remove the sensor from its supporting hold and place it somewhere facing a wall or nothing that could trigger IR reading (heat sources). Even inside a container but still within the hub proximity to be well connected
  2. Check the log of triggers from that sensor (click-select the sensor on the wyze app-home tab -->top right select the calendar icon) If you see events even you were sleeping and there were no motion events. in my case this always appear as motion detected <1minute.
    If you still get triggers then it is definitely faulty and there is no point having it triggering the alarm response.
    Unfortunately I also gave up on these motion sensors, after replacement and replacement failing I have spent more time contacting wyze support and having a stressful experience everytime the sensors trigger the alarm.
1 Like

I have the same issue. One of my motion sensor v2 kept giving me false triggers. I replaced the battery with new 1.5v AAA and also tried 1.2v AAA rechargeables. Both still give me false triggers. I hid the sensor in a drawer with no motion at all and it still consistently gives false triggers. I ordered a new motion v2 and tested it with the rechargeable 1.2v AAA in a drawer and it gave me false triggers, but with the new 1.5v AAA no false triggers.

I’m starting to think because i used the 1.2v AAA rechargeables until it ran out of power it might have caused the first motion v2 to fail. Anyone else have issues after using 1.2v rechargeables?

I’m going to use 1.5v AAA only from here on.

Interesting, would you say that now your sensor is restored and working well?

Usually it is expected for a properly designed circuit for these type of products to operate at all these voltage ranges. Also Wyze does not list any specification on the batteries used so I assume that typical rechargeable batteries would work well

Yes it works fine when it has fresh batteries. I tested it multiple times again with rechargeable and with batteries that have lower than 100% battery life and those would cause false triggers. So i concluded that the sensors require fresh fully charged alkaline batteries only.

After the last reply, went back to my 3 sensors that were acting up. I confirm that the sensors actually work after all and the issues arise when the battery starts running low on a sensor. Just replacing with new batteries might keep the sensor in this weird state that it triggers by itself!
My solution was to let the sensor for a few days without battery as mentioned above or completely remove it from the app and re-install it.

More technical details: I tried 1.2V NiMh rechargeable batteries, 1.5V Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, 1.5+V alkaline batteries and even a 3.3V DC logic power supply (15x2 batteries). ALL experience the same issue so it is not about voltage supplied. It appears to me that once the batteries run low the logic circuitry is in an undefined state that ends up causing random triggering-(maybe a pull down resistor would solve all that from my basic electronics knowledge -flip-flop stuck??)
After completely removing and re-installing the 3 sensors in the app, each sensor using a different type battery - all work fine now for the last 1+months, without issues. Although I will be replacing the batteries again soon and will likely have to do all that again.

As for the battery usage of the motion v2 sensors, for areas that see almost daily traffic (inside the house) but only arm the alarm every few days, the batteries get depleted after 2 months. So I will be recharging- going through removing and re-installing the sensors every 2 months!

Hope it helps anyone!

One of my three motion sensors started doing this less than a week after I took it out of the box and installed it. Got the noonlight call, had to remove it from the sensor list.

I’m concerned that I need to remove my other two motion sensors as well if they are gonna start false alarming when their batteries get ‘low’ …

I just changed my battery for the first time… at to away when going to work… then cops come to my house. Was unable to answer phone at work. From a motion sensor in a walk in closet with no windows or ac vent. Triggers at least 15 times a day or more now… worked fine for 2 years before battery replacement.