Motion Sensor Stuck "In Progress."

In a metal structure. Ahhh. I had put my sensor inside my wife’s trunk because I frequently open it by accident when I bend with her car keys in my pocket. I was trying to find a good use for my Sensor. It was designed to let me know if I open her trunk accidentally. Now I realize perhaps it’s stuck in “motion detected” because it’s in a metal structure (the trunk). Thanx.

I have two motion sensors. One works correctly and the other is stuck in motion as others described. No metal nor any of the other situations described. Both sensors are in drawers made of wood next to the bridge. I’ve tried every method described here to reset it. There’s no logical explanation I can think of as to why one works and the other doesn’t other than one is faulty.

The solution for me was to get a warranty replacement. Offered to send it back to check on it but they said recycle.

1 Like

I had the same circumstance and finally got it to operate properly, but I needed to perform the following steps twice before success. 1. Delete the sensor from the bridge using the App, 2. Remove the battery from the sensor and re-install the battery, 3. Disconnect the camera from power (unplug), 4. Plug the bridge into the camera and power it On, and 5. Use the installation process “Add a Product” to add the sensor to the bridge. Maybe this will work for you.

If the problem persists, use the App “Account > Help & Feedback > Report an Issue” and describe the problem to Wyze. I have found them very helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tried these steps three times for good measure and still showing constant motion. I’ll open a ticket but truly appreciate your taking the time to provide a detailed solution which worked for you.

2 Likes

I have a question. Where do you all use these motion sensors?

Hi, @fastcarkenny. Welcome to the community! Sometimes I use my motion sensor inside to turn on lights, activate the Wyze plug, and send an alert if someone enters a door. There are many other use cases that can be found by using the “magnifying glass” at the top of this thread and search other threads on this topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

The PIR Motion Sensor uses Passive Infrared Light sensors to detect radiant heat. This means that it should ignore objects, shadows, and insects. Please keep in mind that, unlike with Wyze Cams, there’s no way to adjust the sensitivity of the Motion Sensor.

I have a placed a link below for more information on the motion sensor:

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m more asking to find out what might be making them malfunction than to find ways to use them…

1 Like

What issues are you having with the motion sensor? I’m not aware of any current malfunctions.

2 Likes

Hi. In what way are they malfunctioning? Is it like what I posted above? Because I should’ve updated to state once that sensor was replaced under warranty, the new one has been functioning as expected. I’ve use the Wyze motion sensors, several SmartThings motion sensors and one from ecolink. The Wyze motion sensors are very sensitive and detect motion far away well. It just really depends on your situation and what you’re trying to achieve if you could maybe describe that a bit more? If it just flat out isn’t “working” based on the rule you’ve set up have you checked “rule history” under your account tab and signal strength in device info for the motion sensor? Just throwing out some places I’ve had to look. Hopefully we can help more with a little more info.

1 Like

It’s the same malfunction as this thread, yep. I found that when the sensor is facing a reflective. Or semi-reflective surface, it has the symptoms described in your post. I wondered if others might have their sensors set up that way…

1 Like

Hmm. I’d say “not expected behavior” but would like to hear what some others have to say as well. The reason I say that is because in our master bedroom we have (diy ikea hacked) mirrored furniture. We have a motion sensor on a glass top of a mirrored dresser that happens to point directly toward a mirrored nightstand. So basically sensor faces a mirror reflecting back to another mirror. I’ll drop in a photo because it’s confusing. Maybe confusing even with a photo plus we are in the process of getting things back together after a flood so sorry it’s a bit of a mess. The point is the motion sensor works perfectly to trigger on the lamp even with all the mirrors since I had it replaced. I could be wrong, but I believe reflection should not affect it based on my understanding of how it works? Maybe try a new one?

My understanding is this is caused by a poor connection to the sensor.

1 Like

Unplug the camera the sensor and bridge are attached to. Then remove the bridge. Plug the cam back in after 1 minute WITHOUT the bridge installed, Wait 5 minutes for the cam to come fully back online (view in the app to ensure). Then plug the bridge back into the camera. Wait until the bridge light stops blinking… voila… works every time for me.

Now I am not sure why this happens to my V2 cam in one area of the home and not the 3 other Pan Cams and 1 other V2, but it does. In all actuality the Pan’s have more sensors attached and they are further away on average… perhaps too much electrical/wifi interference as this one is in my basement office with the wifi router, PC’s, electric panel, near the laundry room, heater, water heater etc.

1 Like

We had to go through the well described rigmarole for our garage v2 during extreme temps. Worked well. Nothing, nothing, nothing fixed this sensor inside except replacement. No other factors changed either. Works like a champ now.

I’ve had this problem two or three times and tried all the suggestions above but without success. What has worked for me each time was to simply move the bridge to a different camera, i.e. just unplug it from one camera and plug it into the other, no power downs or reboots were necessary. My cameras are both v2 cameras, they are within one metre of each other, and they are about 5 metres in line of sight of my router. There is 5 metres between the motion sensor and the cameras and the signal has to pass through two walls. Each camera has its own power supply.

Other observations: Each time I’ve moved the bridge, the motion sensor wifi signal reported by the app has jumped from only 1 bar to 3 bars, which doesn’t make sense. I last moved the bridge yesterday and today it shows as 2 bars and the motion sensor is working properly. I don’t understand why the reported motion sensor signal varies so much or why it seems to bounce back two 3 bars when it’s moved. It’s like something is getting reset by the process of moving the bridge.

I’m curious. Given what you said about moving the bridge, have you tried just removing it? Waiting 20-30 seconds and reinstalling it?

Certainly did and it made no difference, which seems to be the experience of some of the other people who have posted here.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Only one day after my last post, the wifi signal strength of the motion sensor had dropped to only 1 bar but it continued to work properly another 6 days so I doubt it’s relevant to this problem.

Yesterday, a motor vehicle went past the sensor (about 4 metres away), at which point the sensor became stuck “in progress” but videos were recorded as expected. (My motion sensor triggers videos to be recorded.) Someone walked past about two minutes later and then ten minutes later I tried moving around in front of the sensor to see if I could clear it but that clear it. Then I tried moving the bridge to another camera but that didn’t work this time and nor did rebooting cameras, etc. The motion sensor continured to report “in progress”. I checked the contact sensors and they were reported correctly. I gave up.

About 40 minutes later, another vehicle drove past, motion was detected, and one minute later the “in progress” status was cleared and since then the motion sensor appears to be working properly again.

The interesting thing to note is that after the “in progress” status was cleared, three new events appeared in the activity log of the motion sensor. It shows four events:

1. Event of “unknown duration” where videos were recorded of the first vehicle.
  2. Event of “1 minute” where no videos recorded.
  3. Event of “<1 minute” where videos were recorded of me.
  4. Event of “<1 minute” where videos recorded of the second vehicle.

Maybe someone who knows more about how these devices interoperate can shed some light on what might be going wrong.

Back to your comment about moving the bridge-In the handling of the camera/bridge were you careful to avoid pressing the button on the back of the bridge?

Not sure if I pressed it this time or not but I know I’ve pressed it by accident at other times. What is the button supposed to do?