Motion sensor "has detected motion for" trigger

The connotation of this trigger’s wording is “After has detected contiguous motion for X amount of time, then the event is triggered.” However its actual behavior is “After motion is detected, trigger the event after X amount of time.”

I wish the behavior was the first one. But while it is the second one, the wording should be, “…after motion ([first | initially]) detected.”

This should be only active when the motion has been continuous. I take it that this isn’t what you’ve experienced? Could you please tell me more?

Here are 2 scenarios for “After has detected contiguous motion for 3 seconds, then the event is triggered.”
Scenario 1
Seconds
0 Motion Detected. Begin clock.
1 Motion still Detected. Continue clock.
2 Motion still Detected. Continue clock.
3 Motion still Detected, Time threshold met. End clock. Send Event
Scenario 2
1 Motion still Detected. Continue clock.
2 No Motion Detected. Time threshold NOT met. End clock. Do not send Event.

There is only one scenario for “After motion is detected, trigger the event after 3 seconds.” This is the ACTUAL behavior:
1 tick
2 tick
3 tick, Time threshold met. End clock. Send Event irrespective of motion detection during seconds 1 - 3.

1 Like

Alright, I’m going to check with the team about this one. It’s possible that this is a bug and I want to verify.

Could you please check if this is the same if you have the trigger set for a longer time threshold (like 10 seconds)? We have been testing it from our end.

Here is how I set up and conducted my test cases:

1. Set the Has Detected Motion For value to the test value (Ex. 10 seconds).
  2. Set my iPhone timer to the same value.
  3. Have motion detector detect motion, observing that the sensor’s red LED illuminates.
  4. Start iPhone timer, and simultaneously move out of sensor range.
  5. Record results after elapsed time.

Here are my test results:
Has Detected Motion For value:

1. 10 seconds - Triggers unconditionally after 10 seconds
  2. 30 seconds - Triggers unconditionally after 30 seconds
  3. 40 seconds - Does not trigger.
  4. 1 minute - Does not trigger.
  5. 10 minutes - Does not trigger.

Additional test case: With HDMF value at 40 seconds, purposely remained in sensor range, performing motion for the entire 40 seconds. Triggers after 40 seconds.

Summary: The event triggers unconditionally if the HDMF is set to 30 seconds or less. If set to 40 seconds or greater, the event triggers only if motion is detected for the 40 second duration. However, I suspect that motion only at the beginning and end of the 40 second duration (I.e., not during) would have triggered the event as well. I further suspect that 30 seconds is the “magic” threshold between conditional and unconditional triggering.

What are your all’s test results?

We found that on a trigger of 10 seconds or more of motion it will trigger whatever it is attached to. It does have a 4-5 second lag time from real time because the sensor has to communicate the movement to the server → timer starts → then another delay as the server sends the command.

I sent your test method and results over to the team.

1 Like

I see the confusion here. The motion sensor has a regular “heartbeat” where it tells the Bridge if there’s still motion. It’s not always sending the data otherwise the battery life would be super low. So it is a bit misleading on our end to have the option to have seconds in the shortcuts. But we don’t know if motion stoped within 10 seconds of first detection. We would know if it had stopped within–say–a minute.

Does that make ‘sense’ :slight_smile: ?

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike!