Motion & contact door sensors

I heard rumours you guys are working on this. Is this true? When can we expect to see this?
Source: https://zatznotfunny.com/2018-12/wyze-motion-door-sensors/

We’ll be posting an AMA video in the Discover section of the app in the coming days and addressing this question… keep an eye out for it! :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for chiming in, Mike! :smiley:

Hey, I just seen the Q&A video, so Q2 huh? That’s pretty soon, I’m guessing that it would be alot like the nest secure but without the guard and obviously cheaper.

I am currently looking on putting together a replacement for my horrible xfinity system. I have been researching the different type of sensors and I would certainly like to put my two cents in on this, but this is not the right forum for that. I do welcome another option.

Glad you watched the video! Yes we’re aiming for Q2 and more details will be coming soon so stay tuned!

2 Likes

In case you missed it, Wyze did a video Q&A session a while ago. The subject of this Roadmap topic was addressed in the video. Here’s a link to the video and an index of the content so you can jump directly to the part that addresses this Roadmap topic.

0:40 Outdoor Cam (Dongsheng)
2:15 Wyze Sense – Home Sensors (Mike)
2:52 Beyond Security Products (Mike)
3:30 Become International Company (Yun)
4:25 Simultaneous Streaming (Tao)
5:05 Improvements to Playback (Bugs, Fast Forward) (Tao)
5:50 RTSP (Frederick)
7:10 Google Assistant (Frederick)
7:40 Apple Homekit (Frederick)
8:35 Google Integration Demo (Frederick)

2 Likes

Independent living facilities use motion sensing in bedroom and other areas with software that is set to look for activity (movement) or lack of activity at certain times, or just knowing when last activity took place and where. Example, if no activity in bedroom by 9 a.m. send notification. Such a device/app combination would be helpful to those with elderly parents that want to remain independent in their own home. Using motion sensing instead of video provides more privacy in this application.

5 Likes

I have been an earlier adopter of the Wyze Cam and a software Beta user since late 2017. When Wyze Sense becomes available for purchase, please consider the addition of the following ordering options: (a.) an alternate starter kit that has the Bridge/Hub and three contact sensors, but no motion sensor [or the option of specifying any combination of three sensors with the Bridge/Hub], (b.) the purchase of a Bridge/Hub alone [I will want more than one Bridge/Hub for my use], (c.) ability to specify two or four contact sensors in a package. I would like to start with six or more contact sensors but have no application for a motion sensor (I use my Wyze cameras for that purpose).

4 Likes

I second this

I see this scenario being adapted to home monitoring of Dementia and Alzheimer motion sensors could be adapted to bed/chair pads. Pill boxes could be monitored with sensors ensuring medication was taken at the specific time and even the right medication. Sensor Coasters for water glasses could ensure proper hydration notifying care givers and family members of use or non-use Giving family members and support respite and home nursing caregivers a whole new 20th century approach to home care.
Detailed home automation like this will still allow for many family members to avoid the high cost of Nursing homes and keeping family members at home.
Some of this is being tried, however most of the applications and hardware are to high of a cost for the average family to afford for their ageing loved ones. My wife is a personal support worker here in Canada we’ve both discussed this and can see this form of automation being of a great benefit to her existing clientele as well as a selling feature for her services by educating her patients and family members and new clients on the future benefits.
I did try to reach out to the Wyze team and got a very closed ended communique. i hope they’ll be more receptive to entertaining Canadian entrepreneurial endeavours.

1 Like

However, when a product enters the realm of providing what can be viewed as “life support”
the potential insurance must be staggering compared to that of a product used to watch grass grow.
I’d want a lot more reliability in a product I’m using to monitor my Father than what I’ve seen so far with Wyze. And I would expect to pay more.

You are right…I keep forgetting about the fact insurance perceptions are different in the USA. I was posting as a Canadian for the Canadian Market or use. I welcome the opportunity to utilise this product for a wide array of home use and not just for monitoring of a Family Member of mine or a friend. Thanks Wyze for your continued innovation and research in making products like these affordable.

I received my Sense Starter Kit yesterday and got it all installed/synced today. I’m really surprised at how tiny these all are, it’s amazing! Smallest sensors I think I’ve ever come across. Like 1"x1"x3/8"!! While uniformity of power supply is usually preferred, I understand the difference in battery sizes between the motion and door/window sensors. Big battery on the motion, so should last a good amount of time - great detection range so far, tested at around 13ft and the viewing angle is around 150 degrees. Window/Door sensors are sensitive enough to have a little bit of difference between the sensor and magnet block and still work properly (my door and the trim are about a 1/4" off from each other, some sensor kits come with optional spacers). Door/Window sensors have 3 notification options: open, close, left open. And you can trigger recording on any camera you want with either type of sensor. There’s a battery level indication in the app, and even a signal strength so you know whether you’re too far from the bridge or not (have yet to test the range).

Really looking forward to Alexa integration - so far no new devices discovered and I have the skill enabled already. What is the button on the Sensor Bridge for? Didn’t find anything noting it on the quick start guide. I was surprised to not have the the option to set a schedule for receiving notifications like with cameras… hope it’s added!

BTW, window/door sensors blink 4 times while pairing and motion blinks 3 times - the app says “wait for 3 blinks” on both types of sensors… doesn’t really matter, they pair so fast and easy, just noting what I observed.

Oddly, I had a contact sensor go “offline” and wasn’t able to reconnect it without deleting it and going through the pairing process again. I did remove the battery a once or twice for a video I was making, so that may have caused it. I assumed there would be a way to reconnect, couldn’t find anything in the settings for the device. Tried an initiation of pairing on the sensor itself and a single press of the reset button, both had no effect. Adding it new worked.

Did you all get the stickers in the package

I didn’t get any stickers.

Did you look closely in the box? Mine were between the inner liner and the outside, missed them at first.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is the place for this or if it’s possible but can Alexa notify us audibly if the contact or motion sensors are activated?

1 Like

I got the stickers. They’ll probably wind up in the garbage though.